"Good Old Games"

I’d read it. But remember, you have to play the shitty ones, too. :)

I have never heard of this site. Is it legit? And is their process pretty solid for making things runnable?

No problem. ;-)

Really, Brian, you’d be a great resource for space games.

Aaww thanks, that’s really flattering. :-)

I have no idea if it is legit or not; smell test doesn’t quite pass with me though. I do know that the game offered there is patched to the last patch released by one of Hardwar’s devs a few years after the release of the game (U6, or something?)

Why doesn’t the smell test pass, if I may ask?

Just because it reminds me of a couple of abandonware sites that provide paid downloads of old games, when it’s clear all around said sites have no legal business behind selling them.

Ooooooohhhhhh, makes sense. Thanks for the insight. :-)

Don’t be afraid of engage multiple fights, enemies will be various and nombrous on your way. On Titan, every means are good to get money and earn your life. Will you become a honnest trader, dealing with others, a lawless and bloodthirsty pirate, ready for anything to rob sheds and other spaceships, or a bounty hunter, sent by the police to catch Titan’s outlaws? Choose your destiny and arm your ship, Hardwar will take you further than you thought!

That does sound pretty good. Especially robbing sheds.

I went for it at 4$ and paid through paypal. Unfortunately running the game causes Windows 7 to rapidly flip through all open applications without stopping, so it’s going to take some work to get the game to run. I also downloaded their free Warzone 2100.

Thanks for posting that blog! M&M 1 & 2 were two of my favorite early PC games. And the guy even covers Star Command! Another one of my favorites from that era, along with Wizard’s Crown and Phantasie 3.

The M&M posts were interesting. I’d never read about the end-game story before.

Might & Magic I and II spoilers follow…

OK, so he says the twist in both games is the same, that you’re really aboard an alien space ship the whole time. Is this a twist in all the games in the series I wonder? The only game in the series that I played from start to finish was M&M V, and I don’t remember any such twist in that one. So then, if the World of Xeen is not the same as the one in earlier games, what exactly ties the series together? I heard there were some robots and aliens or something in M&M VI: is that true? If so, was that a return to the world of M&M I and II? Was it set aboard a space ship as well?

SPOILERS!!!

As you say, the aliens twist is present in the later games as well, but not in the ‘it’s all a space ship’ way, IIRC. I find the twist really really annoying, personally. I don’t want sci -fi in my fantasy game. But I still love the games.

I guess it goes to show how big an impact the story made on me in Might & Magic V that I don’t remember any of it. Not a single thing. I have no idea what that game was about. However, I do remember exploring this huge world, fighting creatures, running away from creatures, and then coming back and kicking their asses when I’m stronger. I remember levitating to get across water, flying to get across mountains, and “lawnmowering” the world map so that I’d visit every single square and do every single quest. I had a blast with that game from beginning to end, and yet, I really can’t remember a single thing about the story.

I think they work(ed) for GoG because their offers largly overlap.
Also sometimes games there pop up and 2 weeks later they are on GoG as well (Atlantis series and The Last Express).

So I think they are legit.

Exactly! You shouldn’t play these games for the story. Who cares about it. These are open world exploration games, where you do exactly what you just said. And that applies to 6-8 as well. I never played 9, because I heard it was the crap.

That “MM9 is crap” meme is bullshit. MM9 was somewhat unfinished but otherwise just as good as MM6-8, really. Reviews declined steadily from 6 to 9 because the games were very similar, not because they actually got worse.

Well, at the time that would be getting worse, relative to other games. It’s only from a “I have them all which shall I play?” perspective that they’re equal.

Good to know, actually. Maybe I’ll try it too then, if I get the chance. In what way is it unfinished?