"Good Old Games"

MM9 switched from the previous 3D environment with 2D sprites to full 3D with the LithTech engine. Apparently that took so much work that a lot of previous functionality had to be cut. I didn’t remember all the details but this IGN review is still online and lists the missing features: flying, alchemy, Arcomage, environmental interaction, user annotations, sortable lists. The game was also much buggier on release than previous iterations. Personally I didn’t actually mind any of this very much and just enjoyed the better graphics and combat, though.

They got rid of flying and alchemy and Arcomage? Ummm…that pretty much sucks. I can live without Arcomage I guess, but I LOVE flying and alchemy. I’ll still try it, but wow…that sucks.

As a Might and Magic newbie, would you recommend I get The Might and Magic 6-Pack (games 1-6) first and if so, which game in that pack would be a good jumping off point if some of the earlier ones might be considered too primitive now?

Or would I be better starting with M&M7/M&M8?

MM6 is the same technology as MM7/8 and kind of a trilogy with those, so I wouldn’t start with 7. You could skip 1-5 if you don’t like the old step-based engines, though.

MM4&5 make the World of Xeen, together (you can go back and forth between them), so I’d start with those if the tech isn’t too old for you. I would skip 1-3. Even back when 6 was released they were a little too old to play. Definitely get the Limited Edition pack.

I would start with 6. However, if you prefer straight up turn-based, dungeon-crawl style with puzzles and such Xeen is a great game (4 and 5 together make up World of Xeen and you may as well install them both so you can switch between the games, which makes it better). Note that all of these games can be punishingly hard on new players.

The graphics of 4/5 don’t bother me, so I think I’ll grab that 6-pack and start from the combined World of Xeen thinger. I’m not too concerned about the challenge level, given what I happily put up with in days of yore. It will be an interesting test to see how well my level of patience has aged along with me, at least.

I grabbed M&M7, and I’m getting a really annoying white screen flash every 5 seconds while playing. Anyone know a way to make that stop?

This is on a Win7 64 box with a 6950, latest drivers.

Good choice. The Xeen games are definitely the high point of the series. If you enjoy them then III is in the same engine and is also quite good, though much harder. I and II don’t hold up well at all, and VI and onward are pretty good, but also a step backward in many ways.

None of DotEmu have (or had) any affiliation with GOG.com, but they are one of our competitors and have been in business for a few years. I’d say they’re legit.

But you should stay faithful to your first love: GOG.com. :P

I couldn’t deal with the outdated UI in 4/5. Hopefully you have more luck! 6 is a great starting point, I’m working my way through it now and its good retro fun.

Oh thanks for clearing that up! :)

With around 200 games on my account at GoG.com I think you don’t have to worry too much about my love! ;)

Keep the excellent job!

I liked it when it first appeared in 7, but Arcomage is terrible. There is very little in the way of strategy, and mostly comes down to luck of the draw.

Then get [H]ardWar. ;-)

+1

Also get the Missionforce Cyberstorm games. :)

Get the first game, don’t get the second.

Oh crap, I forgot to send you that disk, sorry, I’ll send it out ASAP.

I liked both, but whatevs. :-)

Blasphemer!