"Good Old Games"

Suck it!

As endlessly pointed out in other threads (and now this one):

MissionForce: Cyberstorm 1 was awesome.
MissionForce: Cyberstorm 2 was a misbegotten, forgotten RTS crapfest.

I enjoyed the second cyberstorm a fair amount from what I recall. I think there were some improvements from the first one that I liked enough to deal with the bastard RTS/TBS decisions in it.

Sigh. Did I SAY MF:C is better than CS2?? No, because that would be wrong on a cellular level. I just said I liked 'em both is all. Yeesh. :-P

Is there a way to spoof a LAN connection over the internet like Kali did? That was my MF:C memory, the multiplayer.

Hamachi?

Oh, I already have both of 'em. I even have the CD’s here in Warsaw.

Now, if you wanted GOG.com to get the games, well, all I can say is “we’re working on adding just about every title that you can think of to our catalog.” It just takes some time. :D

<whine>But we want it nooooooow…</whine> ;-)

A few Might & Magic VI questions

is there any way to remap keys? I am a WASD player, and with a mouse, its a bit hard to use the arrow keys in these modern times.

Any group combo or skills that are really neccesary? I*m running with a Knight, archer, cleric and sorceror right now, and just now gave them all bow skills, since that seems like a quite good thing to do.

and man, the game is HARD!

Finally broke down and bought FS2. FSOd it up and looks great. Now to find some good campaign mods for it.

Why? The original campaign is awesome as-is.

Yes, but it sadly ends. ;-)

I played the campaign when it first came out. They usually start you slow and I’d like something that puts you right in the thick of things right out of the gate!

1. Bows for everyone is good.
  2. You will want a light magic user at Master. You won’t care if you have a dark magic user at Master (you’ll get it eventually, mind). Spirit clerics can be effective healers in the mean time. Light magic offers a number of critical group based buff packages.
  3. For your “sorcerous” needs, Master water > master air > master fire > master earth IMO (but you can argue for earth over fire). Water gives Lloyds Beacon and Town Portal, two spells which will radically change your gameplay. Air offers flight, which is also important. The air meteor shower spell is great too (it’s similar to the Fire’s Meteor Shower, I forget the name). Fire has the most damage spells, though some are better than others and both Water, Air, and Earth have some super effective damage spells.

You probably want them roughly like this: expert water + air in order you want, then expert <other element of choice> ASAP, then Master Water then master air. Give all of your horse shoes to your elemental caster if need be.

1. You’ll need trap disarming. The archer is your best bet IIRC.

2. There are lots of different schools of thought on weapon skills. They are all viable ultimately.

3. ID and repair are nice. But be forewarned - while you wills ave money getting these the need to play so much inventory tetris will drive you insane. Eventually I just started giving eveyrone 10/Master in each of these skills. Merchant I leveled one person in but added that skill level/expertiese level to other characters via hax. A HUGE failing of the series was not allowing one skill to apply across all party members. And fixing broken items mid combat was really weird.

4. Once the Mage is set, give horshoes to the cleric if s/he needs them. I always sprint my mage to master in water/air though. It just opens up so much. True in all 6-8, though it gets harder to obtain higher mastery levels in later games (they started gating these things with quests. And never ask me about the light side quest in M&M 7).

5. Unless a character can advance to master rank in an armor skill, I think you want to stick to leather, because all armor adds a “delay” penalty between actions - making he wait before a character actsa gain takes longer. Leather offers the least and is still pretty solid for protection at max level. But you can beef AC in other ways as well (6 ring and 2 necklace slots, + all the other accessories).

Uhhhh. . . can’t think of anything else. One of the classic “once you knwo the game, get off to a super awesome start” scenarios used to exist in M&M VI (not talking about the easter egg dungeon), but it appeared to have been patched out when I replayed my GoG copy. Which was really, really sad actually. I miss games doing stuff like this.

Thanks a lot Peacedog! Those are awesome tips!

I am going a bit crazy with not being able to use WASD, and am considering jumping ship and going to M&M VII instead, since it will let me configure the keyboard as I want to.

I guess the two arent connected anymore than any other in the series, so one doesn’t miss out? Oh, and I assume most tips go for MM VII as well

I really didn’t remember VI not letting you change it. Are you 100% certain on that? I can check at home of course. Maybe look for a mod? It’s possible a mod or a config file of some sort will allow this.

ha, I should learn to read forums, you were right.

There is a patch for the game that lets you change the controls, and do tons of other awesome stuff. Thanks for the heads up - really enjoy this game!

(Patch is here btw: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/might_and_magic_series/mm6_unofficial_patch_1_7/page1 )

Thanks for the tips!

I read that your issue is solved via a patch, still, for future reference: http://www.autohotkey.com/

Locomotion was just released to gog.com. Any good? Also somehow I missed it but Constructor is on gog too. Is that any good? Thanks.