Good QHD (2560x1440) Freesync monitors that work with G-Sync?

Right now there are a couple of supposedly G-Sync compatible monitors (both IPS) available at Costco for a decent price–quite tempted by the LG at that $200 sale price–my only concern apart from the normal ones is that stand it’s on-- my monitor riser is not wide:

First an MSI that’s not on Nvidia’s official compatibility list:

https://www.costco.com/msi-27"-wqhd-ips-nvidia-g-sync-gaming-monitor.product.4000203457.html

Second, an LG Ultragear which unfortunately hasn’t been reviewed much at all:

https://www.costco.com/lg-ultragear-27"-class-qhd-ips-gaming-monitor.product.4000218339.html

Anyone here have either of these?

Hey, you must be the same Papageno from the Ars forums! I didn’t put that together until just now.

Indeed I am. Luckily the handle wasn’t taken (there have been occasions where it had been). Who are you over there? Have you already weighed in on my recent monitor thread on Ars?

Oh yes, I use different names on every site. Will PM my name as I do that for a reason.

Ah, probably a good idea to avoid “cyberstalking” I suppose, what with people as nuts as they get sometimes.

It’s an excess of paranoia but so far hasn’t served me wrong!

Anyway I would check the rtings reviews, they’re excellent. If it isn’t reviewed normally I wouldn’t buy it, but Costco lets my dad return his busted-ass sneakers after five years so your potential downside is strictly limited.

Yeah, I’m thinking the return policy might let me check it out with minimal risk. I do have a “real” G-Sync ASUS ROG PG279Q that’s approaching 7 years old but I’m kind of thinking of keeping my old rig going is the thing, and it’s got a 3060 Ti. Still, I have a perfectly good older ASUS IPS 1920 x 1200 res monitor I could use with that one even if I just wanted to play older games at lower res (and turning V-sync on of course) as long as Windows 10 continues to be supported/updated. Honestly that makes more sense. May as well wait till this G-Sync monitor kicks the bucket before buying something new.

Resolution doesn’t much matter in newer games, you can just DLSS upscale to 1440p no problem on your 3060ti. 1440p at 27" or so is perceptually sharper in an immediately noticeable way, unlike 4k.

I have an older one, specifically this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGZL8XF

It works very well, has crystal clear resolution, insanely fast refresh, etc. The G-sync works as well, though I’ll warn you that the G-sync connection message pops up every time you come out of the sleep timer with the monitor, so, a lot. I guess i should see if that’s something I could disable or ignore.

I didn’t explain myself properly: the 3060 Ti is in my soon-to-be “old news” secondary machine, which I mostly plan to use as a media server but could also play the occasional older game on. My newer just-bought machine is a 7800X3D/4070 Ti S one. If I don’t buy a new 1440p monitor, I will just use my existing ASUS G-SYNC monitor with the new rig, and an older Asus 60 Hz IPS monitor with the secondary one.

But your mention of DLSS raises the question, does it work with non G-SYNC monitors, and over HDMI (the older 60 Hz may have a DP input but I’m not sure)? Pretty sure that the 3060ti won’t have a problem rendering anything natively at 1920x1200 though. ;-).

Anyway, all that is OT really. Now I’m actually wondering whether there’s a use case for a second 1440p VRR-capable monitor.

Yes they are completely unrelated.

I’ve bought a FreeSync monitor that kinda soured me on the experience, was usually okay, but sometimes the image got blurry and required turning the sync off and on again to fix.

I have the LG Ultragear, from Costco, and I love it. Very nice monitor, great price. I run 1440 on a 3070 and it has been very good.

Resistance…failing…

The reason I’m being a bit flaky is that the part of the house where the older PC will be is un-air-conditioned, so it has the potential of getting quite warm in our newly crazy-hot Portland summers. Gaming there would kinda bite. Decisions, they are hard.

How do you find the HDR implementation? That’s the one thing my existing G-SYNC ASUS lacks.

I wonder if that’s the same as this one I bought last year for $399: Amazon.com

Specs look similar, it could be just a different vendor-specific item # for Costco.

I mean, as far as I can tell it’s more like faux-HDR, not true TV-level HDR, but it works, it often looks nice (depends on implementation) and overall the color and brightness, etc. whether with or without HDR is quite good.

Looks like that one is similar, but has “Nano IPS” (apparently a “quantum dot” backlighting tech which LG came up with in 2019) which the Costco one doesn’t have, and sounds interesting, and per the text description you can swivel the panel to the left and right (RTINGS.com says that’s not true). Also it has USB ports (not on the Costco-sold display) in a semi-convenient place (although the side would be better). Are you pretty happy with it? Using it with an Nvidia GPU?

@TheWombat thanks for your reply and @stusser thanks for your reply earlier re: DLSS. Sometimes it can get difficult to figure out what is dependent solely on the graphics card and what requires both the GPU and the monitor to meet certain prerequisites.

Yeah you won’t get real HDR in a computer monitor without spending non-trivial money and/or going OLED.

You can see a difference though. I’ve had mine through playing MSFS2020 off and on and when enabled, it’s pretty fantastic. Of course, there is a flip side to all of that, and what you’d think would be such a tiny nuisance is NOT for me, and that’s the ability to take screenshots that reflect what you see in HDR, and more importantly, how you show those screenshots in captured format to others.

I should mention I’m looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West PC release next month, hoping HDR will be enabled in that game as well.

Using it with the Xbox S/X and very pleased with it. Only tried it out once with my recently acquired gaming laptop (Nvidia 4070 GPU) to play Starfield and no issues there. Colors look great, contrast is good, VRR works as it should.

Only thing I take away points for is you can adjust the monitor height on the stand but that’s about it. No tilt or swivel.

I was previously doing my console gaming on a 48" TV, but my current temporary living situation means I’m confined to gaming in a bedroom/office, so I kind of wish I got a 32" monitor. But I figure I’ll use this for a work monitor when we move sometime this year and I have a larger desk.