Goodbye Uwe Boll

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i1f048e311710f2fb395ecaf034146a09?imw=Y

Reached at his home in Mainz, Boll said the results from “King” mean he will be unable to continue with big-budget productions.

Despite a number of critical and commercial drubbings, Boll has been able to finance bigger budget films through German tax shelter funds. But “King” marked the last film to be bankrolled by his fund, which, like all similar tax shelters, has been banned in Germany

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=41493

Oh no! I was holding out for that Beyond Good and Evil movie starring Pauly Shore and Carmen Electra!

Sorry, that wasn’t a very descriptive title.

It took a few years, but Uwe Boll says he’s officially retiring. “Rampage: President Down” will be his last film.

[quote]
“Rampage 3 will be watched on Netflix, DVD or iTunes or whatever,” he says.

“They’ll say, ‘That wonderful movie! I liked it blah, blah, blah,’ then watch Avengers. With streaming everywhere there is just a big wave of movies flooding around and you have no impact.”

“The market is dead,” he adds, “you don’t make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies.”

“I can’t go back to student filmmaking because I have made so many movies in my life, and I can’t make cheaper and cheaper movies at my age. It’s a shame. I would be happy to make movies but it is just not financially profitable.”
Boll says he’s been self-financing his films for over a decade.

“I never had people giving me money,” he says.

“I’ve been using my money since 2005 and if I hadn’t made the stupid video game based movies I would never have amalgamated the capital so I could say, ‘Let’s make the Darfur movie.’ I don’t need a Ferrari, I don’t need a yacht. I invested in my own movies and I lost money.” [/quote]

He can finally devote all of his time and energy to his boxing career.

Spielberg, Boll, Kubrick, Scorcese, Coppola…all have two-syllable first names.

That read like a Trump concession speech… “My movies are the best. Big League. I’m only retiring because the business is rigged and the market is saturated with bullshit movies that don’t matter”

Were Boll’s movies ever profitable? I mean, the whole point was to write off the losses.

House of the Dead was the closest, I think. $12 million budget. $13 million worldwide revenue. That’s still far short of profitable, when you take out the theaters’ cut.

It’s hearsay from back then, years and years ago, but I remember it was repeatedly stated his flicks were just loopholes meant to exploit aids the German governement was handing to produce movies. That sounded believable.

[quote]
I wrapped up the interview by asking Boll if he had anything he wanted to say to all of those video game fans out there, the ones he feuded with, while trying to turn their favorite games into something they might like to watch as a movie.

“You are safe now, no more Uwe Boll video game-based movies,” he said. "Enjoy the so much better ones, like Silent Hill 2, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 and 4 and Warcraft.

“Hahaha.”[/quote]

He’s not wrong.

At least he made a mark.

More like a stain.

Vanity Fair on Uwe Boll’s retirement.

Still bitter and angry, but I guess being a restaurateur is better for him than directing.

Can’t wait till he challenges his first food critic to a fight!

Geez, I forgot about this thread. Thought he died. Guess it was just his career though. Aha ha ha! Oh man, I kill me.

Haha, I thought the same thing. But thankfully his film career is dead.