Google Voice is live

Someone should make a website where they allow the community to submit Google Voice transcriptions and then have an illustrator draw them out in the style of a kid’s story book.

Sure wish I could get a local phone number in Google Voice.

The end.

You can’t?

Nope. Granted, the actual town we live in is the equivalent of Mayberry in size.

If you use Google Voice and have a jailbroken iPhone, this is awfully convenient.

If you use Google Voice and have an Android phone, that comes standard in the OS.

Also if you have Gingerbread or higher you can do direct SIP calling, again built right into the OS.

The entire concept of a local phone number is basically obsolete at this point. Virtually everyone I know has primary phone numbers from area codes of places they haven’t lived in more than a few years.

Yep, this. Having a “local phone number” in an age when there are no long distance charges is rather pointless.

It’s more for convenience. We had our Voicepulse number from KC when we moved here, and it was just a bit of a pain to have to dial 1+ area code + number to call home. Not a biggie, just a nice thing to have the local number.

Manually dialing numbers? Also obsolete.

Yeah, you still can’t transfer an existing landline to Google Voice. I want that feature too.

I think you might be able to transfer it to a cell, and THEN transfer to Google Voice.

Here are a few of my favorites:

To be read in the style of Jive:

Hey Kelly, How you doing. It’s Mario, I was a style. There you go. Yeah. Well this is bye hey yeah you can.

From my 10 yr old nephew:

Yes, Good Morning managing. But why, hey hey.

Looking for a sub goalie:

Hey Kelly, this is this is like. So I think this is a test of the Level 4 tires over at lakewood, and we had a couple of sometime, police. And I just found out. They caught the morning and I thought that the The someone very early tomorrow morning, so meeting to go vendor for tonight at 10 PM, on the I will be back thanking with Tigers. And if you could shoot me a call back. At ### and let me know your availability either way would be great, so I’ll talk to you soon. So, anyway, I hope to see you back. Thanks a lot man.

Port it to a prepaid service like tmobile pre-paid, then port it to google voice.

Holy bejesus, they finally did it-- Hangouts on iOS can make and receive Google Voice calls natively using CallKit.

You need to do 3 things for this to work.

In hangouts settings:

1. check “answer on lock screen”
  2. Tap your gvoice phone number and turn on incoming phone calls

Then in google voice settings, turn off phone forwarding.

And then magically, incoming google voice calls work natively.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to make outgoing GVoice calls via the native phone dialer, even though the update says it should be possible.

If you click a missed call from Hangouts/GVoice in the iOS phone app it will open the Hangouts dialer to make the call, but the Hangouts dialer sucks compared to the native iOS one. That may be what they meant, but I still can’t make a new GV call from the iOS dialer.

If you force touch on the “start call” button it pops up a menu showing facetime audio and facetime video-- that’s how I expected hangouts/GV outgoing calls to work. But no, not yet. No Siri integration yet either so you can’t say “Hey Siri call mom cell using hangouts”.

So basically, incoming calls are a bit better now because you can discern between cellular and GV. But you could already get the native call pickup experience by forwarding GV calls to your normal number, so the experience isn’t markedly improved. Just a bitskies, and it gives hope for the future.

Huh never realized you could do it in Android before. Turns out you need to separately install Hangouts Dialer before you get the option for it in Hangouts.

Yes, android could always do it. Even though iOS has supported calling integration since iOS 10, obviously Google doesn’t much care about GVoice or Hangouts, so they were in no hurry. Frankly I’m astonished they integrated CallKit at all, even at such a rudimentary level.

So Sprint dropped Google Voice… I guess I can get a new GV number, and forward to my Sprint number? Asshole move.

Yeah, not thrilled about it either, but I’ve managed. Pulse now handles SMS quite well, and YouMail is an excellent voicemail replacement.