Gothic, Risen... ELEX

Picked it up for under twenty on GoG. Not far into it, but it has promise, for sure. Didn’t realize it was 3rd person (doh!), which is not my favorite perspective, but so far that hasn’t been an issue. Man, though, this epitomizes Euro-jank. And the voice acting, oy vey. So very, very bad.

Join the cleric faction. They have power armor and laser rifles. The tree people (magic) are total dicks.

Any good guides in terms of how to spend points and stuff? The game seems somewhat opaque (not unexpectedly, given the pedigree) and I am very unsure of where to dump attribute points for instance.

And who the hell designed this so that if you want to look at your inventory or read the map in the Berserker town you have to risk being lynched for using technology? Seriously.

Like I said, the tree people are total dicks.

Apparently the devs aren’t far behind. Oh, and I dunno if this is something specific to my machine or whether it happens for everyone, but when I try to evade, the action freezes and I have to hit the evade key again to set things back in motion. It’s like hitting evade pauses whatever action is in process. What is weird is I also get a different cursor (Windows default I think) while it is paused. Very odd.

I’ll probably give this a whirl in the upcoming days and I’m wondering what’s better to focus on, melee or ranged? I’ll probably play on the highest difficulty, assuming there’s more than one of course.

And my next question is - which faction is ‘best’ from a powergaming perspective? I’ve read a lot of different posts that made me dislike all of them from lore/writing perspective so I guess I’ll just pick the most OP one.

Personally I went melee simply because it seemed mechanically more interesting and therefore more fun than simple pew pew.

Melee! (what Paul said and: be sure to watch your ‘attack-timer’…bottom left, to do it right from the start.)

Powergaming would require not to join a faction before you have not done all the quests potentially offered by the other factions. There is lots of them. So don’t do quests for just one faction and don’t join as soon as possible.

Oh I did not mean xp wise but rather about the buffs and enhancements that these factions provide for a particular playstyle. In this case, which faction is the best fit for melee?

Melee is dominant for most of the game, but once I’d joined the Clerics (after doing everything else), I was using the unique plasma rifle and flamethrower very heavily. It’s difficult to max out any stat in this game, as it gets very expensive, let alone all of them. Luckily you don’t need to though. Most of the uniques have ridiculous stat reqs for the extra benefits they bring.

The faction you meet at the start, berserkers, are melee based. I went with them. They are basically Gothic 2 in scifi.

I played as a Merc and was full melee. By the end everything is easy anyway. I liked the buffs the Mercs provide. I am not sure what the Berserkers give.

Mercs are what, Outlaws, Berserkers, Clerics?

Outlaws. Remembered it wrong.They get Drugs to buff themselves.

One final question, is it worth playing on high(est) difficulty? I love hard combat but not if it’s mostly in form of hp/armor bloat.

Well I tend to play these games on easy because I primarily enjoy the story and envronments. It will be mostly HP bloat and damage received. Due to the clunkiness of Piranha games I would not want the hassle of that. But YMMV

@Paul_cze, what’s your take on difficulty?

I went with the clerics and used laser rifles. I found the game too deadly in melee, but your mileage may vary.

Have you played other PB games?

Risen 3. I think I played it on highest difficulty and it felt ok.