Gothic, Risen... ELEX

I think you can adjust on the fly. I also think there might be more than one difficulty setting? Can only half remember. I had enough points to use all the melee and ranged weapons by the end though. You’ll have plenty of exposure to all the factions even before you join one.

Good game IMO, but certainly some clunk.

There is some granularity available in difficulty settings, but I didn’t adjust any of them at all, just played on the default. It was consistent with the difficulty in almost all PB games - i.e. very difficult up front, flattening out the further into the game you get.

I think I played the default one and it was fairly inline with previous PB games. I did become overpowered fairly quickly iirc, but whatever, I don’t play these games for their combat :)

Started on Ultra. Then I fought the first rat which required about 20 or 25 hits to bring it down. I promptly lowered the difficulty to normal after that lol.

Armor is flat reduction and even on normal difficulty a lot of the starting enemies have enough armor that you do like 1-5 damage a hit with starter items.

I think there’s something to the combo system in melee that helps with that? I haven’t played in a while, but I think the deeper you get into combos, the more damage you do.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/411300/discussions/0/1483233503861430860/

LOL, I forgot if I played melee or ranged.

After months of putting this off I finally got around to playing it a little more seriously and immediately realized two things - one, it pulls like crazy for some reason, I don’t know why, maybe it’s the mysterious universe? And two, the melee combat, as janky as it looks, is way deeper than it seems at first glance. Animations are what they are but the parry and evade mechanics as well as the variety in animations and attack patterns between weapons really give the combat system a lot of depth. The game overall also controls wayyyy better than it would seem by just watching the videos.

Really looking forward to spending more time with this.

Elex is a very good game in my book, if a bit rough around the edges, and it’s probably the best Gothic successor. Its only major flaw is the end game, you’ll see why when you get to it. :)

I don’t recall any problem with the ending. Elex 2 is supposed to be in the works too.

I got this a few weeks ago. Flipped a coin as to which would get played first: Elex or Kingdom Come. KC won but deep inside I really wanted to try Elex. I may just set aside KC and do that this weekend!

Elex is a lot more conventional and IMO easier to get into. A little clunk though :)

KC isn’t without clunk so I guess Elex is clunkier? But I don’t mind clunk if the game’s interesting enough.

It’s really just the animation that’s a bit B-List. The writing is no KC but it’s fine-for-a-videogame :)

THQ Nordic teases a Gothic remake in the works at their Barcelona studio.

This is not a full game. Its a playable teaser version to a potential approach for a new Gothic game. Nothing is set in stone.

So your feedback is essential to turn Gothic into a modern game. Therefore, and to reward your loyalty, Gothic - Playable Teaser is totally free for all fans who already have any of the titles in the Gothic saga or developed by Piranha Bytes!

IMO, it was too easy, felt more linear, and recycled the same mobs over and over again. It was not an interesting environment to explore.

I think in part that was due to the weapons that dropped towards the later part of the game. Combat when from really hard to “I have a gun that 1 shots everything.” This made the fighting part of the game (which is 95% of it later on) trivial.

My favorite part of elex was having Angrim somehow fall through the floor of his house and get stuck in an unreachable part of a waterfall, rendering joining the the barbarian-style tribe impossible. Fuck it, I guess I’m gonna use guns.

Given the length of the task list they expected from potential joinees you were probably better off :)

I started playing this last weekend. Really liking it after a few hours.

The movement/animations certainly need help but the game wasn’t nearly as clunky or ugly as I imagined it to be based on reviews. Was it fixed post-release? I’m playing it on an Xb1X and frame rate has been smooth (even with all the swaying foliage), graphics do not look last gen and the art design looks fine to me (I think someone said it lacked cohesiveness or looked amateurish; something along those lines). Also, the voice acting so far has been acceptable, as well. Don’t get all the complaints.

On the other hand, I also started playing Brutal Legend which I had never played before and was disappointed. Even on the Xbox One X, the already low frame rates dropped constantly; graphically the game looks like an original Xbox game.

No, there was no post-release upgrade. People are just down on PB :)