Gothic, Risen... ELEX

Elices?

Elexx ?

I guess release is getting closer if RPS got to play some bits? Alice had an ok time despite not sounding like a PB fan.

Thanks Chappers :)

The smallest but most annoying thing, which I didn’t discover until about two hours in, is that you can’t loot or pick anything up if you have a weapon out.

Gah! They kept this in from the first game?! Why???

Eurojank trademark

Out next week :)

I am excited for this. Already got it preordered for XSX. I really enjoyed my playthrough of Elex last year, notwithstanding the UI lockup bug. Let’s just say I am expecting some Eurojank :)

I know they got rid of press and hold to pick stuff up, so a strong start out of the gate!

Normally I hold off on buying games for a bit, so they can get patched and get rid of some of the jank.

In the case of ELEX, the jank is actually a feature. I’m super tempted to day-1 this, the first ELEX was a pretty fun game, and I’ve enjoyed the previous Piranha Bytes games quite a bit.

Shipping this right after Elden Ring is a galaxy brain level decision.

I wonder how much the audiences overlap. I’ll probably play both but they’re kind of at opposite ends of the open world swordfighter genre aren’t they… PB will have plenty of plot and conversation and an animation budget found down the back of the sofa. Fromsoft will be animated with balletic and deadly grace with a plot delivered by inscrutable pot men.

I think it’s fine. There are at least dozens of us who are too old to put up with Ninja Gaiden-level difficulty games from From.

They are both third person open world RPGs…yes extremely different in design and focus, but still. I think quite a few people who would pick up Elex 2 in a different window will ignore it now.

I haven’t played one since Gothic 2 Gold, but I always view Piranha Bytes games as the harder ones. I can handle From Games, but Piranha? Nope, too hard.

I did make it all the way through the original Gothic though, but Gothic 2 gold I could never find that first enemy that I could take down that would make me strong enough to be able to take down other enemies.

I don’t think that was just you. You had to treat it like an adventure game and progress through scrounging and puzzle solving for quite a while. Every thing you saw that moved was likely to chase you and kill you :)

The PB games did not scale enemies, so if you wander into an area you’re not ready for, it’s almost always instant death. That said, the progression usually eventually led you to become fairly overpowered. There was also little to no penalty to dying and saving and reloading was easy.

As my gaming time is limited, I don’t enjoy the DS mechanics of corpse runs, and permaloss, as much as I used to when I was younger.

In G2 the starting area was pretty much an area you’re not ready for :)

Maybe but those people were prolly not buying Elex 2 at full price anyhow so launching against whatever wouldn’t matter.

I’m in the too old for Dark souls brutal like but day 1 on Piranha Bites like camp.

I don’t see why not, but even then, Elex 2 can be had for 38 euros on authorized and 26 euros on non-authorized shops.

Killing my first orc in G2 was like a 5 minute long bullfight - but omg the XP! Being good at combat (or cheese) was greatly rewarded.