Gran Turismo 7 - Welcome back to the race

It doesn’t look substantially different than Driveclub on PS4 and Forza Horizon 4 on PC to my eyes, but I guess there might be little touches in the shadows and reflections and sunshine that are no longer being faked.

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!! I’m having a blast with the current one that I only bought a few weeks ago so as long as they don’t cock it up I’ll be in day one for this. Assuming the world still exists by then of course. ;)

I’m a little disappointed to hear that GT7 is also being developed for PS4, making it the first cross generation Gran Turismo game, I think. I wonder if that means that the release is fairly imminent? Maybe if the game is coming pretty early in the generation, they don’t think they can sell enough to justify the cost, hence they need a PS4 version too.

It was really only fun when they had normal cars in it, I want to drive my own car on the race…gimme

They should put this on PC. They’d sell loads of copies.

It looks like they have some “dealership” cars in the mix, but I agree. The most fun I’ve had in a racing game was GT2, when you started with a honda civic or something and had to work your way up.

I’d pay big money for PC versions of a lot of these.

The section quoted from the Gran Turismo website about weather made me laugh.

“The time/weather change simulation brought to life in GT7 is unique to Polyphony Digital, who researched the complexities of nature and tailored it into a video game,” reads the blog post. “Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, we have recreated spatial / time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series.”

If they could put GTSport or its successor on PC that’d be great thanks.

" Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

Reminds me of the “each toe nail clipping has a unique name” sort of stuff in Dwarf Fortress.

I soured on things like Forza 4 because of this. It felt like that cars were just handed out like candy. While kinda cool in its own way, I much prefer a career-style ground-up approach.

Yeah, I ignored career mode completely in Forza 4 because of that. I only played the newly introduced mode where you’re racing against your friends’ times. Rivals mode, I think it was. You even have their ghosts to race against in every race. I played the game for a looooong time that way. Especially that Top Gear Test Track that they introduced in Forza 4.

It’s not available for sale anymore, but if you already own it, give Forza 5 a try. It’s my favorite precisely because they go back to the basic “start with a small cheap car and earn your money through races” philosophy. No car giveaways for winning races. People hated it, of course, so they’ll never do that again. I guess a lot of people just want to be able to immediately get their favorite Ferrari and race everything in that.

They should be more worried about their penalty system online than weather particles. I’m kind of happy it’s also coming on the PS4 as I don’t know when I’ll get a PS5. The online is super fun for me with the weekly races as such. It’s a lot less stress than playing iracing where people treat it like it’s their job.

That reminds me I own GT Sport. I should install it and give it a try. If @merryprankster set lap times on all the tracks for me to race against, that should be fun enough on its own.

I’ve mentioned it before I believe, but GT Sport is by far the best racing game to learn tracks on. All the tracks they have have goals you have to beat to master the track. This includes a video telling you how to do that section. I really wish other racing games would do this as it helped me a ton. It also translates to other sims if it’s the same track.

It’s how really learned my first track which was Spa. I’ve gotten much better now at learning new tracks, but it was a roadblock for me for years.

Yah, for me it’s the opposite. All of those super fast, super handling cars turn the tracks into go kart circuits. You can make up for so many driving mistakes with huge power and handling, but if you miss a line or lose momentum in a low grade car, it really matters.

The other thing about the early GT games, was that they made you really learn a track or license test to progress. Almost all driving games now have you bouncing around on tracks every start, and it drives me nuts. GT2 was amazing and teaching you how to drive those tracks, and as you got better and better, the rate at which you got into a faster car seemed perfect for your skill level. The progression in that game was really magic, at least for me, it seemed just right.

I’m not sure how that works for lap times, but I’ve definitely played a lot of GT Sport!

The whole interview is worth reading.

But this part in particular caught my eye.

What is it you wanted to express this time? What is it about car culture and about your love of cars that you wanted to get across with Gran Turismo 7?

Kazunori Yamauchi: This time around we really made this Gran Turismo title with a sense of urgency, because compared to 25 years ago there aren’t very many leads or ways for people to become car fans anymore. I think Gran Turismo really has a big responsibility in that aspect to create new car fans out of the new generation of kids out there.

With GT Cafe, it really urges you to collect these cars, and teaches you about the cultural backgrounds of these significant cars. We’ve spent a lot of energy working on that, and the reason for that was to make sure that the kids who are discovering cars for the first time really get to have an opportunity to come into contact with that knowledge.

When it comes to the wider car industry as well, it’s probably the most turbulent and also exciting time the industry has faced since the invention of the combustion engine, with alternative fuels and electric cars. How does Gran Turismo sport go about reflecting this exciting time for the automotive industry, and what do you feel are its responsibilities towards that movement?

Kazunori Yamauchi: In regards to Gran Turismo and car culture - car culture is something that has been continuing for the last 150 years or so. It’s our mission to preserve these cars in a drivable state in a big museum format. And of course, we include cars like the Taycan and Tesla. But I think our mission first and foremost is to preserve the entirety of this great car culture that we have today for the future generations to come.

Endquote

Just interesting from a long term perspective. I hadn’t really thought about it before, but if our climate change future means we’ll be hailing self-driving electric cars and public transportation to get around, maybe most people a hundred years from now won’t drive a car at all? So it’s interesting to view video games as preserving something like that for future generations.

OTOH, the game requires an online connection, so whenever they finally shut off the servers, there won’t be much preserving going on. The only mode where you don’t need to be online is arcade mode, where you can’t save your game.