Gran Turismo 7 - Welcome back to the race

Cool! I enjoyed driving around the VR tracks in GT Sport. Hope this version has more gameplay, or at least time trial targets.

Do you plan to get the PSVR2 at launch Giggle?

No, but a family member probably will.

Driveclub VR was my most played game on the last one.

So I got this on sale partly due to the VR and… Is the ticket reward supposed to always give you the worst result? I’ve gotten like 7 roulette tickets and every single time it’s the worst possible outcome. Very depressing.

Yep, them’s the breaks! Welcome to the Gran Turismo slot machine, which isn’t really a roulette wheel so much as a shit prize dispenser that also shows you cool things you didn’t win and never will!

But you’re on the right track, @jazar. Realizing that the “slot machine” hates you is part of the learning curve. : )

Yep, you’ll get frustrated with the roulette wheel if you expect anything other than the lowest result. Oh, sure, you may occasionally receive something that’s not the worst, but the percentage is very small. Don’t think of it as a reward system for an accomplishment. Rewards are supposed to positively reinforce your desire to get them. There is nothing about this roulette ‘gamble’ that is positive. And that is so strangely weird considering that there is so much game theory that should have showed them how to do this right.

I have seen and read similar comments elsewhere. Have they revealed the math anywhere? Is it visually a roulette wheel, but actually a gatcha slot machine (ie less than 1% actual chance for anything other than basic results)? Or is GT7 more of an X-Com type probability frustration?

Kazunori Yamauchi must be some kind of ultra conservative “pull yourself by the bootstraps” kind of guy that thinks there are no free Porsches in Gran Turismo.

Ah well at least it makes me appreciate the low model beaters before I get to the high performance stuff and spin out everywhere.

That’s the thing, I LOVE Gran Turismo for making me spend a bunch of time in crappier cars to earn my way up to the supercars(which are never really as much fun). So I’d probably be even happier if that roulette wheel didn’t dangle super rare cars in front of me even if you’ll so rarely win one.

Oh, yes, absolutely. The low and mid-range cars are much more fun than anything at the high end.

The roulette wheel could have been better just by offering additional liveries or paint colours instead of credits of which you can get more just by completing a single race. At least with liveries and colours, it would feed into the collector mindset.

It’s a visual cheat. You’re shown a set of prizes that are presented as if they’re all equally likely to be the prize you’re going to get. Which isn’t the case at all.

As @Equisilus notes, it’s really just a poorly designed “reward” that’s so poorly designed it’s more of a nuisance than anything else.

I like the DLC phase of the Forza and GT games because unlike during launch, individual cars get the focus.

This is exactly why GT has always been my favorite racing game. Trying to get the most out of that honda civic, is so much more fun than driving a supercar around the track, where most mistakes can be made up with power.

The thing I hate about the forza games, is that lack of progression. You always end up in some super car really early on, there is no coherent progression to speak of.

They are always giving these free updates, but I only ever play GT7 now when I was waiting for something else (D4 queue, a download to complete, etc), which means very rarely.

I played just this week, in fact, one race where the two times I pitted I was penalized for going over the line or similar. I remember this happening on another track, too, and I could never figure out what it was that I was doing wrong. I still haven’t a clue. It’s extremely frustrating. I wish there was an in-game pointer to the problem so I could, maybe, one day, resolve it.

New update.

Oh hey, they added 4 player split screen. I think that’s a first for the series? I don’t think I’ve ever owned four controllers for a playstation console, unlike Nintendo and Xbox which had good 4 player same screen games.

Edit: The new snow track looks neat.