Gravity (2013)

Arvo Pärt. Yes!!!

You know, I’m not even sure I’d call this SF at all, from the trailer it looked fairly grounded in present day tech (outdated even with the Space Shuttle) and didn’t seem speculative at all.

I can’t freaking wait. After watching the first half of Europa Report I’m super pumped for Gravity.

Recently saw part of a Comic-Con interview Bullock and Cuaron did. At first he had wanted to film in the vomit comet (as did Ron Howard for certain parts of Apollo 13) but deemed it unfeasible for their purposes so basically for nearly every shot he invented all new photographic and robotic processes for pretty much the whole movie.

— Alan

Oh and I would say there is… something speculative going on. Bullock is clearly wearing two different types of space suits during the trailer, one the more traditional NASA white EVA suit and a more golden/tan-colored suit that is not nearly as bulky (and no pack). Maybe something fished from the ISS or … something. Not actually familiar with what they use.

— Alan

Edit: oh wait, it is Russian. You can see a patch in one shot.

Latest trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7kS1BWh6o

I read the synopsis by someone who read the script, I was worried that it was a “2001”-ish long shots ode to the blue planet, but it could work imho. Also, Children of men.

I must have gotten a different impression of the trailer in the theate. They made a space disaster movie why? Sandra Bullock as an astronaut? Is that the climax? Didn’t we already see a meteor storm destroy the shuttle in Armageddon? Looks dumb to me.

Hopefully there is more to the movie than this scene.

Ever see Open water?

I’m putting this down as an overdependence on trailers that give the entire movie away before you ever sit down, but…

dude, you are confusing the crap out of me… why the heck not?

…anyway,trailer 3

I think complaining about Sandra Bullock because it’s Sandra Bullock is endlessly dumb. She’s not an airhead, and it’s not like she can’t play serious roles and she’s a decent actress to boot. This isn’t Denise Richards we’re talking about here.

As far as “space disaster” goes… again, why not? I didn’t realize this genre of movie was reaching the teen-vampire-angst level of oversaturation.

— Alan

That last trailer is scary as hell.

Personally, I love the teasey nature of the trailers, and I really, really want to see this. I am sick to the back teeth of trailers that make seeing the actual film redundant.

I’ve loved all three trailers I’ve seen, and cannot wait to see this!

sigh… I take it back… Hollywood doesn’t know when enough is enough… trailer 4.

I only watched the first trailer (didn’t want too much revealed) but this movie has me excited. Clooney and Bullock in what looks like a film centered on their interactions while stranded in space? Sign me up. Mostly because it seems like a big departure from the usual hype movies that focus on how much more epic, cooler, and how much ‘more’ there is (although Pacific Rim was pretty sweet).

Every trailer looks terrifying.

This trailer in IMAX scared the bejeezus out of me. Totally wanna see this.

Gravity premiered at the Venice film festival this year, and got rave reviews from top critics… sitting pretty at 100% on RT right now. James Cameron says ‘Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity is best space film ever made’. Sweet!