Gravity (2013)

The Naked Scientists covered this a few weeks back. Yes, you must exhale first to avoid explosive decompression, but otherwise you’ll survive just fine until you black out from lack of oxygen. Heat loss in vacuum is slow, and aside from the lungs the pressure difference isn’t really that high compared to the toughness of human tissue. At least not in the short time before you asphyxiate anyway!

Saw this tonight. Really enjoyed it.

fire, hey, there’s still a little o2 in your suit, you princess! you would survive if George Clooney slipped in the hatch from outer space. he just wants to show you were the vodka is hidden and talk trash about his new record. just remember to sip, sip.

Saw this on the big Cinerama screen and I was blown away. Really amazing. Incredible effects, amazing sound design, and Sandra Bullok was great. Not sure if I’ve ever been as tense watching a movie. I’m so happy I trudged out to the theater for this one rather than waiting for Blu-ray. Top movie of the year for me, without a doubt.

Saw it Friday in IMAX 3D and loved it. First 3D movie I’ve seen that I hardly felt the gimmick, it seemed subtle to me for the most part. That or it just blended so well that it didn’t seem intrusive.

The high sound levels in the theater and the great sound design really added to the tension. I was physically tired after this movie, I was feeling the stress in the film transfer to me from the immersion. Between this and Pacific Rim, I’ve enjoyed my return to the movie theaters after years of not bothering for the most part.

Saw this last night with a friend adn we both loved everything about it except the actual story was a bit dry. Acting was great but sometimes hard to draw a contrast as we are so used to seeing actors work across from other actors and see them react to other people. With so much of the characters acting alone, it a different kind of acting to what we are used to.

Visuals were completley top notch and I can’t imagine anything being better in recent years. 3D was well worth it and was great in how it imersed us in everyway. The sound design blew me away. I loved the choices for how empty everything sounded.

Unfortunately, the story was a bit to straight forward without a lot twists. This was a story that was driven by the action sequences, each one leading to the next. Maybe that is more necessary when you don’t have a larger cast to drive the plot. I didnt feel that Bullock’s character was as intersesting to watch as Clooney’s. Their moments together were great though.

I was distracted by my own insanity toward the end as my mind started making up alternative endings.

I saw this over the weekend and absolutely loved it. I’m a sucker for movies in which the action is propelled by cascading disaster.

I could’ve done without the backstory for Bullock, but whatever. I guess watching someone try to deal with multiple deadly situations just isn’t enough story for some.

Also, Jesse James is a fucking idiot.

Don’t get me wrong I really liked the movie, I just think the cascading disaster plot line was the weakest of the elements. I think everything esle was incredible. I love the long tracking shots and sticking with one shot rather that cutting from one piece to another. I liked the balance of tight close ups and wider shots that let you see everything going on. Everything that was technical from visual to sound engineering and score was spot on.

I don’t mind movies where one person or a group is trying to survive cascading disasters, but I usually would prefer different disasters. Everything that Bullock endured was essentially the same disaster. Usually, when I think of how entertaining a movie was beyond just how well it was done, I think about whether I want to watch it over and over. I’ve seen this one and I just don’t see myself going back for seconds.

Saw it over the weekend and it was fantastic. Arguably the best sound design of any movie I’ve ever seen. The long shots and camerawork were impeccable. The 3D was also brilliantly utilized and adds to the film; it’s right up there with Avatar and Pacific Rim for best use of 3D in movies that I’ve seen (a lot of the ones I’ve seen in 3D were rather underwhelming, with the 3D either not adding to the experience or actually detracting from it).

I’m good with the cascading disaster being due to one thing because it’s largely in real-time. How many different things are supposed to happen? The initial event kicks off the chain reaction and the astronauts have to deal with it. I appreciated that the movie wasn’t trying to cram a bunch of crazy things into it just to have more stuff.

One after another

Heck, we got the shuttle mishap, a fire on the ISS, the Soyuz almost smashing back into the ISS, the Soyuz running out of fuel, and the Chinese station going into re-entry.

That seems like enough variety for one mishap.

I caught a matinee yesterday and for the most part, I really loved it. But at some point I kept expecting a sad trombone sound as the number of Schleprock level catastrophes mounted for the poor woman.

I enjoyed the movie, but I keep wondering about something. Why did the Chinese space station fall out of its orbit? it didn’t look like it was hit by the orbiting debris cloud, but more like it was just falling for some reason. She was lucky to jump onboard.

I thought the cinematography was fabulous, but sometimes I have trouble with 3D. In this one, every now and again the picture seemed to fall apart. By that I mean, every so often I would see the double lines around an actors head or body, as if I were watching it without the glasses. Does this happen to others? As soon as I’d notice it, I could (re)focus my eyes and make it go away, but it just struck me how fragile an illusion 3D can be.

This movie was worth seeing, but it wasn’t really a “fun” movie for me. I admit, I can’t stand SB, so that is probably the reason.

I thought the Chinese station was knocked out of stable orbit by the debris.

And, oh crap! I didn’t realize that was Ed Harris as mission control.

I THOUGHT that voice sounded familiar.

I don’t think they specifically said, but some knowledgeable people suggested the Chinese might have deliberately fired thrusters to de-orbit the space station, to prevent it from becoming even more debris.

Humm. You mean the debris circling the globe every 90 minutes? So is the idea that now every future astronaut will have to be very careful every 90 minutes when they go back up into space? Because, if that’s true, it sounds like it’s the makings of a really good sequel. GRAVITY 2: the return of the orbiting space debris. Tag line: George Clooney wants to sit with you in space.

I saw this movie last night with the 3d and all the bells and whistles (the seats were Tempur-pedic with “kickers” that rumbled your whole body.) Without posting any spoilers, I LOVED the sound design, the score, and how the movie was shot. I rarely go out to the theater, but I’m glad I went all-in for this.

I don’t think they specifically said, but some knowledgeable people suggested the Chinese might have deliberately fired thrusters to de-orbit the space station, to prevent it from becoming even more debris.

Jeff Vogel reviews Gravity.

Science fiction fans don’t deserve good movies.