GreedFall (Spiders/Focus Home Interactive) 2019

Nothing I’ve read so far in this thread has interested me until this post. Can you tell me more? Is this an alternative path from combat, or is just that sometimes diplomacy options are made available to you? I enjoy role playing games but I do get tired of all the combat, it would be cool if there were more ‘alternative’ RPGs out there, kind of like The Council.

So it works like this- You have several dialogue options that aren’t combat related for the various quests, particularly the main story ones and to a lesser degree the sidequests. These are primarily gated behind the Charisma and Intuition talents. You can also get some new options based on which characters you have with you at the time in some instances. These are in addition to the ‘normal’ dialogue options you have which may be a bit more binary in nature.

However, just getting from point A to point B is combat heavy still. You can sneak around creatures too but I think it would get tedious as it just seems faster to dispatch them, not to mention they respawn after a set period of time. So it isn’t a combat free experience but you can move through the story bits with very little combat if that is your thing.

It’s not really much different from most other RPGs that give you charisma-like stat that can solve quests without violence. I think the interesting thing is more the in-game fictional choice to make the main character a diplomat, rather than a ‘chosen one’ and the story that tells.

While it’s true you can blindly rob everyone, as long as you aren’t on a quest that is for the particular area that you just previously walked through without difficulty but now can’t because a quest has sent you there, I do like how people respond to who is with you.

Two instances happened recently for me, will be abit vague to avoid spoilers. Was talking to an npc and asked about one of my companions, and there response was, “They are standing right next to you, and you want me to talk about them?”

Another was an npc talking about tactics against a certain group, and a person from that group was in my party and responds to me “Does he realize I’m one of them?”

Not the best rpg of all time, but it’s fun and I’m glad I bought it.

I’m still playing and still enjoying it. I certainly plan to finish it, too.

Duh, the first three have sold 48 million copies so what do you think? :)

Put into like 14 hours to this now and I’m enjoying it!

A few negatives from me:

I already finished a romancing line with one of my companions?? Sure, I don’t know yet how things will unfold in this story but I was a bit surprised when I got there that quickly. I must really be a great companion…

I’m starting to see the copy+pasting of the world and it’s a bit disappointing. All the governor’s houses (castles??) look the same, all the paintings are the same in all buildings (maybe they’r all actually related).

Have you seen the sheeps? They look like they’re plastic.

Haven’t changed my mind about how stupid it is that we can talk to passer by’s for absolutely no reason at all.

Good things:
I love how a few quests keep running throughout the game. You get some clues, help someone out and start nosing around something bigger, which is put off until later in the game.
I’m usually really put off by boss fights that kill me instantly but here I keep thinking that if I just try a couple of more times, I should be able to make it, instead of just coming back later. Three or four tries and I usually make it (also opponents that are way overpowered for you are marked with a red skull which is a great indication to back off, at least when roaming around in the woods).

This seems to be a very common complaint amongst those that play and otherwise enjoy the game. Am I mis-remembering how Witcher 3 did it? I seem to remember being able to talk to everybody, but 99% of them would just tell me to screw off.

Is this how people react to RPGs in a world where open world games have flooded the streets with generic nameless NPCs? People complain when they see a proper well thought out world where you’re allowed to do stuff like talk to people?

Well, it’s different if people have anything meaningful to say. If you can talk to every person, and your choices are to say hello and goodbye, that’s actually worse than not being able to talk to those people, because suddenly you’re triggering people’s OCD, and also completionists who think the developers might have snuck some conversations in there with random people, so they have to try to talk to everyone.

Can’t remember that you could stop and talk to EVERYONE in Witcher? Maybe I remember wrongly but I think anyone you could start an active conversation with would be or had been a part of a mission or a story.

You can’t actually talk to them. There is the option to press “X - say hello to passer by” . You don’t say anything yourself, and they all have the same few responses that are basically “Hello your highness” or “I’m not good company” or whatever.
I just don’t see the point to this, since they don’t even stop to look at you. It just seems like a waste.
There was this woman at a town square who flung her hands up in the sky and looked like she was screaming, I tried saying hello to her too, hoping there would be maaaybbe another answer, but she had the same generic “Oh hello your highness” as anyone else.

The point is immersion and making you look around more.

If theoretically anyone could be an NPC with something useful to say then you’ll keep your eyes open and be more attentive to other characters. That woman you’ve talked to is a fine example: you approached her not knowing whether she has something to say or not. Now you’re in a world where you have to act as if you’re a character in that world, not an actor who has the script highlighting all the important people.

Yeah, it’s not convinient and may trigger the fear of missing important stuff. And the right reaction is accept that part of your personal experience is missing some stuff and perhaps noticing some other stuff other players have missed.

I’m with you and @kristina. Immersion is all well and good, until it makes the game boring. I don’t have Greedfall so I’m not saying Greedfall is boring, but nameless NPCs that make you feel like you need to talk to them when 99% of the time they have nothing meaningful to contribute is boring.

I don’t feel like I need to talk to every passer-by so the lack of meaningful conversation doesn’t bother me at all.

The one thing that bothers me most is that they use the word “discrete” when they mean “discreet.” So they say “We have to move discretely here” and it makes me gnash my teeth. Only happened a couple of times, and really, the dialog is for the most part pretty good, but that … augh!

If that’s the point, they could do with some more NPC models and maybe more than 3 stock responses to draw from. ;)

I would agree to this normally, but not when it’s a 100% unuseful. It’s just cosmetic, or a quirk. Which is just disappointing to me

Yeah, it might be that they didn’t do this well. I was talking about general idea. Worked great in Planescape Torment, for example.

IGN review is up, 8.2

Well, they’re obviously just shills, man… Sheep clued me in on the harsh realities of the world.

Whoa, an 8.2 is like an 8 on the 7-9 scale!

-Tom