GreedFall (Spiders/Focus Home Interactive) 2019

That guy says he plays the game in 15-16 hour chunks. While I hear a lot of ACG reviews, that tells me pretty much everything I need to know: Game good. Buy. Play. Poop. Keep playing.

He did mention lots of shit hitting fans, sometimes 2 fans covered in shit.

Put about a 75 min in, it’s really neat so far - slow start, just a fair warning, I’m still level 1 and I don’t really want to leave the starting area until I feel like I’ve explored a bit - I keep finding new things to do, and just wrapped up a neat quest in what I felt was a clever way that actually worked (and was … very lucrative).

Gameplay with a controller feels really good - combat is smooth and except I keep hitting the wrong RB/LB button (one tactical pauses, the other swaps from spells to my hammer) I’m doing well and enjoying it immensely. Lots of great options at level 1, too.

Game looks and plays just amazing. I’m getting 100+ fps on Ultra and it looks excellent. Great looking UI, too, imo.

I have to take a bit of a break, bit storm here that knocked out power for just a second, but enough to trip my UPS. Thankfully I have a good UPS so I could save and quit out, but I should eat something anyway.

The one review that really matters from gamespew:

https://www.gamespew.com/2019/09/greedfall-review/

8/10

Is that Game Spew or Games Pew?

Random thoughts on my 40 minutes with the game so far:

• Wow, this looks really good. Is this really a Spiders game?
  • Hmmm, the camera feels a bit weird… like in a Spiders game.
  • Uh, combat is interesting but feels a bit floaty… not as floaty as in previous Spiders games, but enough to feel a bit like it’s a Spiders game.
  • Ok, I’m starting to get a hang of the timings in combat. This is pretty good. Is this really a Spiders game?
  • UI looks great. Is this really a Spiders game?

So yeah, first impressions are positive. It looks great, and it’s running fine in my system, though I can notice a small stutter on occasion (I suppose when things are loading). So sometimes it doesn’t feel smooth despite having no real change in FPS. It’s occasionally a bit “janky”, for lack of a better term, but it doesn’t really detract from the experience, at least so far.

And it does feel a bit like a Spiders game… but improved in every single area. Looks great, combat has its own peculiar timing (that’s very Spiders) but feels a lot better compared to Mars: War Logs, voice acting is fine so far, the UI is pretty good… it’s Spiders with a decent budget, which is pretty much what I expected. More impressions later!

I haven’t experienced this, but I have a g-sync monitor. Could that be the difference?

About 3 hours in, achingly close to level 5 but I made it to the island/title screen and I’m out of the “tutorial” area. Greatly looking forward to diving in and exploring this now, but I think I’ll take a break first.

Tom is streaming this.

It wasn’t till after I purchased it that I learned my laptop doesn’t have enough space for it! :(

Maybe that’s a sign that I need to get a bigger SSD.

Maybe. Could also be that I only have normal HDs and not any SSDs. Or it might be something else. It’s not too bad though - I just played for another hour or so and it’s been (mostly) smooth.

@KristiGaines here are the classes covered by a random youtuber.

Magic or Technical. Omg…cmon game publishers, I’m not printing money here.

What? The word’s been around for a long time. Not sure where you have been :)

Didn’t have much time to get into it tonight but my early impressions are positive. The game provides a lot of information but is accessed fairly easily through the menus. Combat will take some getting used to but the controls are fairly intuitive and there is a nice flow between skills (so far a freeze spell for me) and attacks.

Big big plus for me is the voice acting. Voice acting in the early going is top notch and It is amazing how much dialogue you can get through when the voices don’t grate.

I agree with all of the praise. I’m several hours in, and level 8 now. It’s one of those games that I hate to quit, but alas, I must sleep.

Best tip I can give for anyone going M/Kb like me, reassign the dodge skill to R Mouse button. That has made combat so much better for me. Also, early on, I forgot to add a newly acquired skill to the short cut bar. I went with technical build, but picked up Stasis, for 2 SP. That is a useful spell, once I remembered to add it.

Yeah check the Gothic/Risen/et al. threads around here, they’re rife with the term! We use it lovingly.

Indeed.
To me janky just means that combat/facial/etc. animations did not have 200 people spending 300 hours on them, costing 400 millions.
So stuff doesn’t look buttery smooth, but it works and the developers actually spent their time on more important things. Well, more important if you value gameplay over presentation.

I do hope there is no cringy Dragon Age-like singing scene…

Funny - I loved that singing scene, and enjoyed it immensely.

After a couple more hours with the game, my only complaint is the camera, which can be somewhat “floaty” sometimes.

And it’s funny how the game makes me feel that “one more turn” itch, even this early. I had to force myself to stop playing last night to go to sleep, and I can’t wait to play more.