Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I’m thinking of dabbling back in this again, but first I have a confession to make.

I’m an inveterate hoarder.

I’ve played a fair bit of GD but I usually taper off around level 60 or so. And whenever I find something that’s blue that I don’t want to immediately use, I think stuff I find might be good for leveling another toon, might be good for a different build, or heck, it’s part of a set. So regardless as to whether it’s decent or not, I throw it in the stash. So my stash is probably 80% full of stuff - mostly blue gear, partial sets, etc (I do have a tab that’s just components too).

And every toon I play throws MORE stuff into the stash… and I swear I hardly ever use anything in there.

I can’t even figure out if the stuff I’m hoarding is/will be any good. Is there a way I can evaluate whether any of this crap is worth keeping? It’s driving me a bit batty.

Are the expansions only high level content? I never finished all of the original chapters with my character, so is there only reason to get them once the original chapters are done?

I’ve been thinking of firing this up again. Not a huge ARPG fan, but I think this was the best one and every once in a while I get in the mood.

The expansions also add new character classes. So the original had 5 classes, and you create a character that has two of those classes to make your own unique mix. The first major expansion added two acts in the campaign, yes (and it takes place after Act IV in the original campaign), but it also added two more classes. So now you’re mixing within 7 classes. And then the latest expansion added another Act, which you can play at any time after finishing Act 1 AND it also adds yet another class. So now you can create a character from 8 possible classes where you pick 2. And you go right into the new Act right after finishing Act 1.

So yeah, I’d recommend both expansions, even if you’re only going to get through to Act 2 or 3. You get to try the Dual pistol class or the Necromancer or the Shield guy. All 3 of those classes are excellent.

OK, thanks. I’ll check the price out this coming sale. With the extra 20% at Humble, maybe the price will be right. Steam does offer a Complete package that was on sale for around $22 since I have the base game.

Oh, also, make sure you play using a controller. It will be a little awkward at first, but once you’re there, you’ll never go back to mouse and keyboard again, except to sell or sort inventory sometimes.

I can’t tell you what’s good and what isn’t, but if you have a duplicate set piece and you have the Forgotten Gods expansion then there is a way to transmute that piece into another piece of the same, or a random, set at an Inventor. I haven’t done it yet so that’s about all I can tell you, and maybe you knew this already.

Edit - Also if you have a set blueprint you can craft multiple pieces and then transmute them into other pieces. Not sure if this only applies to legendary sets or all sets. I’m sure one of the experts here can clarify.

Ironsight makes a good point @Charlatan. All your hoarding ways should payoff now if you get far enough into the game. I think transmuting things costs a resources that you pick up during the campaign. So you need to play through the Forgotten Gods campaign with some of your characters, then you can transmute your set items and duplicates in order to get other set items. Unfortunately, I hadn’t played through Forgotten Gods with enough characters that I could just do it with all the sets where I was missing something. I need more of those resources.

Ohhhh… this might be a good choice for trying out the steam controller! Now I gotta try this out…

Thanks for the tips guys, I started a new character this morning and just hit the end of act 1 with a Pet Cabalist - it’s a bit rough right now (I’m using skeletons but am going to transition away from them and use… uh… ghosts I think, eventually). So I just hit the Forgotten Gods expansion quest and have begun exploring there.

Just discovered a diablo 2 mod that has pulled me back into the game. I’ve only played an hour, but so far I’m impressed with what they have been able to do.

There’s some really cool mods out there for Grim Dawn. The big megamod that adds all the Titan’s Quest and Diablo 3 classes along with some all-new ones was pretty dang fun. Especially since being Grim Dawn, these are all just specs you can match with another one. If you ever wanted to play around with a Barbarian Occultist, you can.

EDIT: Grimarillion is what it was called.

Oh wow, they even recreated Act 1-5 of Diablo 2’s campaign?

I’ll have to try that out.

@KevinC: I keep meaning to try Grimarillion too. What happens to my characters in the main game when I install that? Just don’t touch them while the mods are installed and they’ll be ok? Or do I have to turn off cloud saves on Steam, or auto-updating?

It’s been quite a while so keep in mind my memory is fuzzy, but I believe characters are stored separately depending on if you’re running base game or modded game. That is, if you enable the mod you shouldn’t see your base game characters and vice versa. I don’t think the game makes a distinction between characters for different mods, i.e. there’s a modded character list and a regular character list, not a list for Mod X and a list for Mod Y. That’s going off of memory, though.

Do you mean to tell me you can play through Diablo 2 + LoD in the Grim Dawn engine here?

That alone would get me to buy the required expansion packs.

yes you can lol

Well I bought the expansion packs and downloaded the mod and it seems really well done so far.

Though I really should actually play through Grim Dawn some day; I heard it’s pretty good.

It’s honestly very fun. my main recommendation is that you can’t only play thru it once, it’s definitely a game to learn and repeat and test out your build, that’s when i really got into it

I reinstalled Grim Dawn to play the Reign of Terror mod. Made a paladin, put most of my attribute in strength and in the heal aura. Slow leveling to 5, couldn’t finish the 2nd quest because the boss is too hard for him. She heal faster than I can damage her, and she summons extra skeleton. I’m out of money for potion or to buy better equipment.

Started an amazon and it goes much better.

The starting town has 4-5 useful npc and you have to walk a lot to get to them. I feel like the map are big for the sake of being big. Lots of dead space without anything to do. It’s an amazing mod, lots of work was put into it, but I’m not sure i’ll return to it.

I just finished Act I and I think it’s fantastic. I don’t get the feeling that the maps are any bigger than Diablo 2’s to be honest. I’d have to reinstall and check for sure, but the pacing definitely feels very similar.

There are plenty of other differences, though. Obviously it’s not straight up D2, but rather a mish-mash what with the multi-classing, Devotion points, Grim Dawn gear (in addition to the regular D2 gear), and the like. I’m just going to try a straight up Berserker Barbarian to start with and see how far that gets me. I will utilize the Devotion tree as well.

So far I haven’t run into much trouble. I died one time to Bone Ash, which I figured would probably be my first death, but I was a bit more careful with Andariel and managed to make it through in one piece.

I like how they handled the mercenary system, and they are genuinely useful (at least so far).

Drops seem a bit more generous compared to D2. I’ve already found 4 set items and several uniques. I do miss how unique the individual classes looked and sounded in the original, but I do prefer the respeccing system in Grim Dawn.

Level design, sound, and overall quality so far has been fantastic. If it weren’t for the total lack of anti-consumer bullshit it could almost be mistaken for an official Blizzard remaster!

Now that Wolcen’s come out I decided to avoid buying it and boot Grim Dawn back up for the first time in god knows how long (I own the Grim Dawn expansions but never did step foot in the most recent one). As far as all my high level characters go, I have no fucking idea what I’m doing. I don’t remember the goals I had for their builds, and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with the myriad of stats, equipment, talent points, skills, augmentations and many other things that go into fleshing these guys out.

Even though I’ve already got hundreds of hours into the game from a couple years ago, I will have to come back at this with a clear head with a lot of time to catch up. Jumping in for a thirty minute game after a year or more away is terribad.