Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I’m okay with the aiming 90% of the time. But yeah, the remaining 10% it kind of stinks, and it’s a higher percentage on certain skills. But since I switched exclusively to the controller, I just stay away from skills that don’t control well with the controller.

Most of the skills in the game work really well with the controller.

Better than mouse and keyboard.

Hmm, maybe I ought to try it again, then.

Yep, this. I should really make that spin2win Oathkeeper build work one of these days.

Heh with my pet build I’ve barely had to aim anything, but I do have a lovely fireball that’s been nice as an assist to my ten friends. ;)

What difficulty do you guys play on?

Veteran->Elite->Ultimate. I usually play up through Elite difficulty then can’t resist starting a new character instead of playing on Ultimate.

If I’m playing Hardcore (which I do a lot), then sometimes if the character I’m starting is going to be weak early on, and then stronger later, I start on Normal instead of Veteran.

So, you play all content (including DLC) on Veteran, and then Elite, and then Ultimate? Serious question, I’ve only ever played one character on Veteran, wondering how others do it. Is it possible to play a new character directly on Elite? Does the gameplay change much by difficulty, or just stats?

Yes, I play all content on Veteran, then Elite and then Ultimate (if I get that far).

The option to start on Elite (or Ultimate hahahah) with a new character I think was added fairly recently in the life of the game, and I’m still not sold on the idea, particularly since a lot of my characters are hardcore, and starting on Elite is just a bad idea. But I did do that once with a non-hardcore character, and it took forever to get through Act 1. Each fight takes longer, etc.

Ah, interesting. So when I start fresh I’ll do so at Veteran, rather than frustrating myself immediately on Elite!

If you own the Crucible DLC, doing a single abortive run right away is a nice way to speed up the very beginning of a new character.

I just play on Normal. Shall I up it?

Depends on what you’re looking for. I typically play on Veteran, because if you know what you’re doing with your build and gear and relics, Normal is generally pretty roflstompy. I prefer the game to put up some resistance, you know? I’m not playing Diablo III over here.

But like if you’re fucking around with a weird build or don’t want to have to really care about gearing yet, sure, play on Normal.

Yeah that’s how I feel, this is really my first time getting this far in the game so I figure keep it on normal this time.

Yeah stick to normal. Veteran really won’t add much. The loot cycle of the game really opens past level 60 when the blue and purple items start dropping. And by that stage you should have enough devotion points to start making some meaningful decisions, loot gets more interesting and character development really starts taking off. But getting there means running through the game once. Grim Dawn is great, but I can not ignore the fact that the loot and skill stuff feels almost locked behind a level barrier.

My usual path on a new character, is using Arena to get to 5 shrines, then just starting on normal. The early game is pretty devoid of decent skills, barring some notable exceptions, and I like being in easy mode until I get my character set up a bit. I also really tend to hate bullet sponge mobs as a game design.

Starting in Vet is really not bad at all, I just didn’t like the extra hit points on boss mobs, I find it a bit tedious. It’s not like anything is likely to kill me on vet, it’s just that it takes longer. I should really look into exp mods for this game, because for me, the game becomes desperately slow post 50.

Yep, I recently tried to jump back into Grim Dawn with a new character but playing on Veteran and ouch that was a slog. Opponents would have so many hp and it’d take me so long to whittle the mobs away that it got tiresome fast. I switched back to normal but then got distracted by something else and dropped the run. I would not recommend Vet for starting, no matter how good you are, unless you like that sort of time-eating punishment.

The great fun of Grim Dawn is in the balance of leveling and powering up, and having just enough difficulty to make smashing and exploding your enemies a festival of win. As I’ve said before, that lower level gameplay (pre-50/60) is so much more interesting than the scraping for something new in the high levels.

I agree with this 100%. 98% of my characters never make it past 55. That’s about the level that your “proof of concept” has had enough testing to prove viable.

It depends on what you’ve got in the stash for the new character. Both my softcore and hardcore stashes have at least one tab that’s filled with great stuff for starting characters. It really makes Veteran a breeze. It does somewhat depend on the build itself, of course. If it’s a build where I’m only putting in points to get to higher levels so that I can invest in high level skills, then yes, you won’t be doing enough damage to kill things really fast on Veteran. But if it’s a build where you’re investing in skills along the way and using your good items from the stash, the enemies melt like butter on Veteran.

Bah. I started my current dude on veteran with no stash to twink from and it’s fine for the most part.

You absolutely do have to build somewhat carefully though and know what you’re doing with skills, equipment, and devotions, though.

I think that’s the key. I’m not much of one to analyze builds or try to optimize my character and equipment. That’s not what I want to do in the game. I just want want to choose what feels like I’d enjoy for skills, and make them work as best they can with what I have, and that’s a perfect strategy for Normal. For vet, then, good stash or good build or both, but neither isn’t going to cut it.