Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I’ll just add that GD (which I also Kickstarted) is one of my most played games of all time on Steam, well worth diving into, even these many years later. I last played earlier this year, and I think I’ve finally kicked that can enough to permanently move on but, if it still holds up for so many in 2021, you won’t be disappointed.

You may want to consider the DLC if you didn’t get a package that includes everything. There is another tonne of content beyond the base game.

I’ve been waiting forever for this to come to Xbox. I remember backing it on Kickstarter but never played it on PC.

I thought they would port it over once they added their excellent gamepad support. But since it hasn’t happened in the years since then, I really doubt if it’s still coming to Xbox.

I know it seems that way, but from my perspective it’s really not. You’ll have opportunities to use a blacksmith with whatever bonus you want later, and the quests are really just a little chunk of XP/rep with whichever faction.

The merchants are totally irrelevant.

This is all from a gameplay point of view, of course. If you are looking at it more from the perspective of experiencing or RPing your way through the story, then yeah, it’s more consequential. But gameplay-wise, they’re all absolutely trivial.

Is it possible to farm bosses for loot drops? How do I reset a dungeon?

I do not know for sure, but Id assume that you would just kill the boss, loot them, then exit to the main menu and reload from your last waypoint.

Yep.5

And later on there are dungeons that can only be accessed with special keys and will reset every time you leave them(including if you die).

Coolness. Thanks everyone. I’m enjoying my run so far, though on Normal I’ve had zero problems clearing anything in Act I. With my stupid amount of pets I don’t even have to do anything.

I’ve long wished for an ARPG style game that didn’t have gear customization, upgrade trees, or loot explosions. That focused on just the visceral moment-to-moment action, perhaps with more focus on crowd control skill and real-time small-scale tactics. Grim Dawn obviously isn’t that, but it’s also painless enough so far (particularly with the build guide!) that I’m having fun.

Needed a break from New World so I picked up Diablo 2 Resurrected. That crashes every 30 minutes for me so I just loaded Grim Dawn back up to get my arpg fix with a stable game.

Ran Port Valbury with my level 80 Purifier and I forgot how much fun that character is. Even ignoring a dungeon that combines the cramped city maps with aether spots all over it was lots of fiery fun. Picked up lots of blues and purples but no good drops for my build. Oh well, guess I need to level some other characters up!

I forgot how much the danger goes up jumping into the Malmouth act right after beating the main game. I have my Purifier(Demolition + Inquisitor) to level 83 which I think is significantly higher than any previous character I’ve ever run. Towards the end of Epic difficulty drops start to go crazy. I can’t stand to throw away blues or purples I don’t already have but storing all of it that’s dropping is turning into a challenge. I know 3rd party tools exist to help with all of this and it may be time I start playing with those. As always, all these awesome drops are great for characters that aren’t the one I’m currently playing as. Won’t be long and I’ll fall to temptation and start playing one of my alts with the hope of letting them use some of this equipment.

Don’t use the 3rd party tools, they are not easy to use, they’re just a logistical nightmare.

Instead, make a holder character like in the Diablo 2 days. Make one called Boots, and then transfer all the boots from your shared tabs into his or her personal tab. Then make one called Hats. Etc.

I haven’t done this myself yet, but I have tried the Grim Dawn item assistant or whatever, and all that stuff is now lost, I’ll never bother accessing it again.

Thanks for the advice!

Sure feels like the game wants me to level a necromancer. I swear I have enough legendaries now to equip both a summoning necro and a melee necro.

In the Riftbreakers thread Tom mentioned something about how arpgs are better with some kind of context instead of just leveling and loot. I hope if Crate ever does a new one they add a wrinkle like that to it. I feel like they’ve already got everything else nailed with the final form of Grim Dawn.

Lies, lies, lies. GD Item Assistant is the freaking best. Searchable shared stash, super easy to use. Works happily with vanilla and RoT both. What’s not to love?

Seriously, I can’t play without it any more. Just fire all those drops into the void, and search them up when you are equipping a new toon or respeccing or whatever.

Reclaiming the cognitive space of organizing and culling items manually is a huge, huge win.

Oh no! Now I have competing arguments. Maybe searchability is worth losing all my items?!? The way they drop I could probably replace them all in a few days anyway.

Also, I’ll add this item storage stuff to things I hope they change in a new game. Give me unlimited storage and searching!

Add me to the list of GD Item Assistant is great.

I think you need to disable cloud saves for Grim Dawn though. That’s a caveat, and one I can live with.

I’ve never had an item lost, never had a problem with it, never even seen any items corrupted. Simply load up the program (it’ll sit in the background) load up Grim Dawn, and when you want to add to IA, drop the items into the nominated stash for storage. If you want the item from Item Assistant, move away from stash in game, alt tab to the program and send the item to the shared stash in game. I can’t remember what it says, but very intuitive. From there, the item will appear in your nominated shared stash box in game.

If you’re really not sure, test it with some yellows first. But I do recommend having all shared stash slots available, and I do recommend checking my note about cloud saves and if they have to be turned off.

I downloaded and installed it. Realized I’ll need to move some files around to get my cloud characters to be available with cloud saves off so I set it aside for tonight.

for Reign of Terror you will need all expansions? The definitive edition? It is currently full price on Steam, GOG, Humble. What was the low price for it?

Looks like it requires the two main expansions(Malmouth and Forgotten Gods) to play according to the main thread: [Mod] Reign of Terror - Modding - Projects - Crate Entertainment Forum