Grimoire - It has Begun

Thanks, now I have the Carmina Burana running through my head.

Cleve’s comments are precious.

Cubs won the World Series. Donald Trump is President of the United States of America. Grimoire is being released.

Are we sure this isn’t all just the fevered dreams of a starving man living in the bombed out ruins of civilization?

Or something like that 1989 Garfield comic?

It’s official:

GRIMOIRE RELEASE DATE : MAY 29th, 2017 (MEMORIAL DAY)

Trump is going to start WWIII before Grimoire is actually released.

Alright, boys, who’s in for a 4-pack?!

Pricing isn’t clear yet. So far Cleve wasn’t exactly known for being reasonable.

After reading the post from Cleve above I sort of get the feeling the titular “Winged Exemplar” is Cleve himself.

An official release date for Grimoire. There’s something we’ve never seen before. Does it come with a pledge in all caps so you know it’s serious like: COMPLETION NOT SUBJECT TO FUNDING!! THIS GAME WILL SHIP IN MAY 2013 WITH OR WITHOUT ENHANCEMENT!!

Oh ye of little faith! :)

I don’t know much about Cleve except what I’ve gleaned from this thread, but do we know anything about Grimoire itself? It seems like it could be neat - is the expectation that it will be a hot mess?

Pretty much. In terms of assets, tech, gameplay mechanics, etc, it’s entirely rooted in early 90s design.

Yes, but apart from the game being much more old school than all these other wannabes, I doubt it’s going to be a mess. The two or three people I know who have played it said it was stable and delivered the intended Wizardry feeling. I don’t expect a trainwreck or a terribly inconsistent game.

Right. It’s most likely going to be a workman-like, grindy step crawler. I expect it will be met with a resounding yawn.

Actually, this is probably a great environment to release this game into. There just isn’t much like it and hasn’t been for a long time. If it truly is huge and epic and strategic and grindy and old school, people may eat it up!

This is actually along the lines of what I was thinking. It seems kind of cool, but I don’t know any of the backstory behind it. I am sure I heard about this years ago but it was never on my radar (and I guess if I’m being honest, continues to not really be unless I see this thread). Is there any footage out in the wild yet for the game should look like at launch? Anyone streaming an early build or anything?

I can usually separate the two, but I don’t know if I can get myself to give money to Cleve, just from what I’ve read on these boards (I wasn’t around when he was around, though).

The first post in this thread has a link to the ‘Superdemo’. Why not play it yourself?

Yes (although as noted you can download the “super demo”.

A nice modern touch in the SuperDemo that I do not recall in the 2004(?ish) demo is that you can toggle encounter rates from high all the way to none. There are set piece battles I believe, but it means you can spend proper time exploring. I wish more RPGs pursued this option. OTOH the interface lacks other important quality of life touches. You can strafe via mouse but not keyboard, e.g. Although again that’s in the super demo and maybe that changed. How rough it is in this respect will be a big deal. He’ll lose potential players if they feel like the act of playing the game is too much of a struggle.

Graphically I think it will otherwise be fine except the limited viewing area will be a huge pain. There was some language in I think the initial announcement that might have been suggesting this could be tweaked. But that’s not in the demo.

Mechanically it will have a lot going for it but it’s going to have some problems too. E.g. the aforementioned (or was this somewhere else? fuck it who cares) problem with melee types dramatically losing effectiveness as stamina drops. Cleve was apparently taunting the Codex with that (“why aren’t you casting the raise stamina spell between rounds?”) but that’s exactly the sort of thing that will be way more obnoxious than interesting. Wizardry 8’s difficult start put a non trivial amount of people off of the game and something similar could happen here if there’s other “gotcha!” crap like this.