Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Thanks for the recommendations! I liked the demo of Rommel and Afrika Korps, and will probably pick up the full version soon, maybe after trying a few more demos for comparison’s sake. And I’ve added Decisive Campaigns to my wishlist for future consideration.

I’ll make sure to give Close Combat and Rise of Prussia a fair shot as well at some point. I did try out the first couple missions of Frontline. The Panzer General formula is still relatively fresh to me, but the game felt pretty sloppy, and I’d rather just buy Panzer Corps than put time into a store-brand version just because it was in the bundle.

Thanks. Yeah, I’m poised to pick up Unity of Command Trilogy for $4.50 and Ultimate General Gettysburg for $6 on the last day of the sale assuming they aren’t dailies. Graviteam Tactics, which is apparently the sequel to Achtung Panzer, is also 85% off / $4.50 and has very positive reviews, so I’m considering that as well.

Sure thing!

Battle Academy is the only one I’ve spent much time with, and I’ve just finished the first of three included campaigns (with six more available as DLC). I’m enjoying it quite a bit, and it is indeed making for a good entry point, with pretty manageable mechanics and unit counts. I don’t know how accurate it is to the source material, but the battles definitely have a very different flavor from any other tactical game I’ve played.

Tanks are the crux of most of the battles, and they have an interesting mix of hardiness and vulnerability. Most shots have a pretty low chance of penetrating their front armor, but it only takes one lucky shot to destroy them, and if you can manage an ambush on the side or rear they have a good chance of going down. There’s also a surprisingly large gulf in ability from one model to the next. And from an educational perspective, I’ve expanded the number of tanks I can name severalfold since starting the game.

It’s interesting that many shots are actually taken as reactions on the opponent’s turn when your units see theirs moving. Trying to close in for a high-percentage shot will often result in getting destroyed before you can get there, so most engagements consist of a lot of 10-25% kill shots from several squares distance.

Infantry is fragile and easy to interrupt if crossing open ground, but can hide in buildings and forests, and is only revealed by being adjacent to other infantry (or spotted when shooting). But even hidden units an be suppressed if the enemy shoots enough at a suspicious hiding spot, which makes for an interesting dynamic of shifting from building to building, trying to get to stay safe while getting close enough for a surprise attack on enemy vehicles or guns.

The scenario design is nicely varied, with different unit availability and goals. There’s no carryover of units, so each scenario is completely self-contained. I have mixed feelings about this – from a pure game design standpoint it’s simple and pure and of course balancing it to come down to a tense and closely-fought end is a lot easier when you’re dealing with static forces. But it also reduces the sense of investment in troops, and means that casualties don’t make that big of an impression on me.

Also, it’s not strictly impressions and not sure if it belongs in this thread, but I wrote up my first multiplayer battle over in the Leaguelet thread in an attempt to recruit more players: