Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Ah, I couldn’t find this thread this morning to add that post too, so I made a new thread.

I’ll just add a link to all the other links and info I posted for War in the West:

Grigby’s monster games are EXACTLY what I would have gotten lost in when I was a teenager, but I do not have the time now (unfortunately). I played a lot of boardgames solo, and an AI would have been awesome.

Oh yeah, me too. I finally sold my collection of wargames when I needed money in grad school; I had over 400 at that time. At one point I had even purchased a folding ping-pong table to use as a gaming table for monster games, which I generally played solo.

Gary Grigsby’s latest monster, “War in the West”, released today. It’s based on an improved version of the War in the East engine. You can play any of 10 scenarios, ranging from a few turns to full campaigns from 1943 or D-Day on. It features a more detailed air system, new amphibious rules, and a new logistics model that features depots, railway stations, rolling stock, and other supply details. I’ve already purchased it; haven’t had more than 45 minutes to play around with it. So far I’m impressed. As always with Grigsby/Matrix games, the sticking point is the price: $79.99 for digital download, more if you want the hardbound manual.

The in-game PDF manuals are gorgeous, by the way. But I think the best way to get started is by playing the Husky tutorial scenario while watching/pausing the multi-part tutorial video walkthrough. Start with the video.

Linkage: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/507/details/Gary.Grigsby’s.War.in.the.West

Oops: sorry, I hadn’t noticed that Erik and others already posted about it here. blush

Valiant hearts is on sale for $6 till Dec 8…no, it’s not a grognard’s game, no it’s not even technically a gamer’s game…but games set in the great war are few and far between, and this is such a great and charming game.

if you don’t have it already, please take a look…

It made me bite :)

What’s the best modern take on something like Korsun Pocket? After all this time with Command Ops, Flashpoint Campaigns, Commander: The Great War, and a couple tactical games, I have a strange urge to maximize combat factors.

If I have to, I will play one of the other games in the series. The graphics aren’t too bad.

Unity of Command, although it’s a bit simpler.

For War in the Pacific fans, just a heads up that now it’s 7 December a new AAR of WitP:AE has started up on the Something Awful forums at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686317 where the game is being played 1 day at a time - in real time. The poster did the entire war from the Allies side (the whole 4 years in real time) a few years ago, and is now doing it again from the Japanese side. It’s fascinating to watch it all take place over weeks and months. Highly recommended.

Well true. I’ve played them all, though I’m thinking about trying out some custom scenarios. Maybe that’s the easiest way to go. It’s certainly a lot cheaper!

Someone at Something Awful is doing a day-by-day AAR of War in the Pacific here.

Panther Games and Lock 'n Load Publishing are proud to announce a special offer. To launch Command Ops 2 (CO2) we will be making a limited time offer. This will be valid for 90 days from the release date. The release date is yet to be confirmed. The bundle pack will comprise five modules, namely Highway to the Reich (Market Garden), Ride of the Valkries (Norther Bulge), Bastogne (Southern Bulge), Foothills of the Gods (Greece) and The Cauldron (Mediterranean). The bundle will be priced at $49.99.

The CO2 engine will be a separate product and will come with the tutorial and two other scenarios (Greyhound Dash and Manhay Crossroads). It will be provided FREE. You will have to register at Lock 'n Load Publishing to receive your serial number to install the game but that will be it. There will be no other cost to start playing. This is the ideal way to try out the engine with the full features. The engine will come with the full set of editors for developing data.

Once again, the Matrix editions aren’t compatible, so you’ll be buying the same content for the 8th time. At least it’s only 50 bucks. I believe this is all the existing content that was $100+ at Matrix. Not bad for people like me who didn’t buy the expansion packs. The other good news is there will effectively be a free demo (with registration) and they’re separating the engine from the scenario modules, which should have been done a long time ago. That way they can crank out modules at $20-30 a pop, which will hopefully motivate bugfixes and engine improvements.

So far it sounds like “Command Ops 2” will mostly be GUI enhancements. For example, the current feature in work is undocking windows and multi-unit selection. I’m not even going to get my hopes up for a map graphics upgrade or anything. I suspect the publisher wants to get something out there soon.

I like these guys but it really is painful to listen to software engineers talk about the videogame business. In fact, funny story. After reading this news I was searching QT3 to decide whether to buy Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets to satisfy my sudden desire to revist the SSG series, and I had to laugh when I found a discussion about the initial pricing for Command Ops. Someone mentioned how they’re basically just re-releasing it with a slightly enhanced engine. Sounds familiar! :)

Yeah, yeah, I’m sure they’re working hard. Hopefully this business model and new publisher will work out better so we’re not doing the same shit in another 5 years.

The other funny thing about my foray into past threads: people were bitching (or referring to bitching) about the single 16 turn scenario in Kharkov.

Six years later, with a wife and kids, that’s now a major selling point!!

Looks like there will be a 50% discount for owners of the current content to re-purchase it from LnL. But I’d need to see some major upgrades before deciding to shell out for the same game.

I’m more interested in the new World War II Europe from Schwerpunkt. This review has me seriously considering it - http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/world-war-ii-europe-new-game-from.html

It’s Christmastime again, which means it’s time for a Command Ops AAR (blog, Bay12 forums). This year I’m diving into a user-created scenario pack, which covers the German invasion of the Netherlands in 1940.

Hurray. But since it’s Christmastime, be sure to post when it’s done in case I’m too distracted to keep checking it every day!

This should be fun. Don’t forget to provide links to full-size images of the maps.

Ordered. I will let ya know what I think after I play it :)

Command Ops 2 engine changelist.

Going forward we will offer discounts to previous owners who have bought from LNL. Let’s say next year we put out another substantial release of the engine. You will have at the time the option to upgrade your previous modules. You can upgrade these individually at 50% off the normal price (30 x .5 = 15) or you can take advantage of a bundle pack that will allow you to upgrade all your existing modules. At this stage we envisage the cost of the bundle upgrade will be $50. In other words the cost of upgrading and maintaining your data content will be capped to a reasonable amount with each major upgrade.

The Steel Beasts business model. Good Lord. I mean, I know the audience is ready to pay whatever it takes and it beats not having it at all. I just don’t think I’d have the balls to propose this in 2014.

I guess I’ll skip it for now. Not enough changes to the engine yet to make me want to dive in. Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind buying one new $30 pack and playing it every few years. I’ll never replay the old ones. In the end I always put principle aside, so long as I find an option that fits my wallet.

It’s just fascinating to watch. They’ll be saying the same things a decade from now.

To put things in perspective we will be selling individual data modules for $30. The five modules in the bundle would cost normally $150. The current bundle price is $50 which in effect is a 67% discount. I think that’s a pretty good deal.

Oops, you’re right. There are now full-sized map links.