Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Final 1.04 patch for Pride of Nations has been released. The engine has been updated to the latest game logic and UI functionalities common to all AGE engine game.

Steam updates automatically. If you bought it from Matrix, then the update is in the members area. If you bought it from Gamersgate, the Matrix patch should work on your install. However you should do a completely fresh install and not update an older 1.04 beta patch install.

Don’t expect miracles to turn resolution - I ran the first turn which usually took 80 seconds. It was 70 seconds with the new patch.

Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star is on sale for $5.99 through Steam

Which of the DLC is worth getting?

I like Hooper and the Prophet, because they take you out of World War II and the high res texture pack, because it takes the game from hideous all the way to vaguely ugly.

I have a key for Alea Jacta Est and the Birth of Rome DLC.

If anybody is interested, PM me.

Matrix sent me a coupon for $15 off Barbarossa Decisive Campaigns - any thoughts? The search failed to find a thread on here, which surprised me.

Matrix Link

Hmm, I wonder if search is confused. I feel like this was all the rage for discussion a while back. Maybe I’m just thinking of the 3MA episode.

It’s probably number one on my wargame wishlist due to the unique twist on gameplay and the hardback manual, but I’m hesitating. Not sure I can invest the time.

I got this too. How Groggy is this? Unfortunately, I don’t have the time for a deep game and this looks closer to what I need.

We talked about it here if you are looking for some more in depth discussion

Matrix/Slitherine has announced Afghanistan '11, a sequel to the excellent Vietnam 65 (I really should get back to that one day).

It seems to have an even deeper strategic layer, with a lot more stuff to do in order to capture “hearts and minds”. It also has a campaign.

And for those interested, they are accepting applications for the closed beta.

I was ready to write it off when you said the turns were a little too detailed, but then everyone said to buy it and play it.

What’s this about scenarios? The product page just lists one campaign.

I think it is a solid hex n counter game without the special choice stuff.

For my tastes playing the Soviets the complexity level is comfortable, playing the Axis it is a tad hard to handle.

I do not have access to my PC at the moment but I am fairly sure there are scenarios in it, or at least a scenario section in the press build I played. I seem to recall it was based on the Army groups?

The game is limited to the 1941 invasion regardless though, it is not the full east front war.

I am pretty lousy at making money vs entertainment recommendations , particularly when I got a copy for free, but if you place value on games that are interesting to think about then I reccomend it.

Hope that helps!

tomorrow will be released 1775 (hexwargames), I hope it’s a good game.

Hexwar is very hit and miss. Infection is excellent. Their adaptation of Nuts! was a mess (I’m not sure if it was ever properly patched). Congo Mercs flat out sucked, but that was not their fault. It seemed to be a poorly designed game to begin with.

I’ll probably give 1775 a shot since most of their games hover around the $10 mark, but won’t be surprised if I end up getting a refund.

you are right, for me the other games are very poor. But I hope 1775 being a translation of the board game will be good.

BTW: the rest of the games were a translation of board games? i am not sure now…

The three I mentioned are (well, Nuts! is technically a card game).

Slitherine is now offering Panzer Corps Gold. Grab it at the almost too generous price of $80.

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1580/

Have you guys seen this video review of 1775?

That’s a little out of date. Some of the issues Tom brought up have since been corrected.

Lol! We live in a changed world from the olden times, now that game reviews can be five days old and out of date.

Seriously, it’s good to hear they are addressing issues. What has been fixed?

The main points are that you can now turn off those damn muskets that play when the menu screen is up. Also the manual now has a glossary of dice and cards for each faction. They still haven’t gotten rid of the little people, but I don’t have an issue with it the way Tom does. I see it as their attempt to stand out from the board game.