Grognard Wargamer Thread!

That’s very strange. While I know they don’t do shipping notifications, I have never had an email unreturned. They even emailed me to check if I really wanted to order two copies of Silver Bayonet because I had ordered it twice by mistake.

Maybe it’s because of the Christmas period, or maybe it went to their spam. I’m sure they’re not purposefully ignoring me.

Heh, probably before Stowe’s entire native population was replaced by transplants from New Jersey up for snowboarding and second summer homes…

While it may not work on christmas eve you may want to try that “chat now” thingy they have in the upper right. It has always worked for me in the past. Good luck!

Well when you order everything they make they tend to treat you better than most! (I kid I kid).

I had them not return an email also (I just asked when about my game would be shipping). I was ok that they ignored it because as it turned out they had already shipped it and it was coming in in a few days but they never did answer the e-mail.

Cheers, I’ll try that if I see it online. Failing that I’ll hit up the ‘contact us’ rather than rely on email.

The least they could do, is on the account page under ‘track your order’, update the bit that says ‘Not Yet Shipped’! :)

Apparently the Command Ops 2 stuff is 40% off right now, and is coming to Steam in the near future. Tempted, though I have the earlier titles. I still think it is the best game at that level of combat.

That’s great to hear, I’ll pick them up on Steam when they are on sale. I still think the Command Ops games have the best AI and are the most realistic.

Be wary with Command Ops 2, as the game has some display bugs that they can’t (or won’t) fix. It doesn’t scale well to high resolutions (no scaling on the tiny fonts). To run in a lower res you have to change your desktop, as the built-in method seems to make most UI boxes black.

I can’t wait to see the Steam forums when they realize the expansions won’t carry over to Command Ops “3” whenever they get around to that. It’ll make Paradox entitlement threads look tame.

Anyway, there’s no sense buying more content than you reasonably expect to play in the next year. Maybe one pack at a time.

From fiddling with the (very generous) demo, I experienced some ssues with the interface. I wasn’t a fan of the windows that popped up everywhere, windows 95 style - most of the info reports seemed to have been better fit in one single tabbed window, for instance. Reading now that it doesn’t scale well in higher resolution, I am a bit confused as to what the point of that interface is, as I thought my standard screen resolution was to blame!

Damn, you guys talked me out of getting Command Ops 2.

[quote=“Left_Empty, post:3114, topic:44002”]
most of the info reports seemed to have been better fit in one single tabbed window, for instance.[/quote]

…like Command Ops 1 had, yeah.

Reading now that it doesn’t scale well in higher resolution, I am a bit confused as to what the point of that interface is, as I thought my standard screen resolution was to blame!

The point of the floating windows, I believe, was to allow you to position them where you want over multiple monitors. So they do support multiple monitors, just not high res ones. :P

Advanced Squad Leader is a connundrum for me. I have all (or nearly all, I don’t have the last two years worth of journals and action packs) of the “official” Avalon Hill and MMP modules, Annuals, Action Packs, and Journals.

But I just do not end up playing the game. And it’s such an investment and commitment to do it.

At the same time, if you do not buy at least the official stuff, things go out of print and then go to ridiculous prices. So I’m left with a complete set, wondering if I should just stop buying stuff (and then not have a complete set) or just keep going and picking up the new stuff as it comes out.

Surprised this game isn’t generating more talk here. Seen a few people mention it on Twitter, saying that it’s pretty good. Anyone try it? Impressions?

I ended up selling the stuff I had on eBay. It was such a pain in the ass to wait for them to get around to printing things. You could sit on the p500 for years waiting. I ended up cancelling my pre-orders and getting out. I really wish they could merge with GMT. GMT seems to have the process down pretty well at this point, and is probably doing well enough that they could keep the product line in stock often enough to satisfy people. It’s too bad that Schilling didn’t buy the IP from Hasbro.

Vassal works great. That’s how I played my second game. While F2F is better, vassal is pretty close to it.

Is there any interest in an ASL group here? I’m very green still but I only play for fun so if anyone here is looking for some light competition I’d be willing. Probably have issues finishing a game in a night but we could commit to 1-2 turns a session (1-2 hours depending on how many troops there are).

If you liked UG: Gettsyburg you’ll probably like this. The system is very much the same. The campaign layer is nice, and they’ve been making some balance changes. It was punishingly hard on regular difficulty for me, but now a bloody battle on the battlefield has an effect on the future size of the enemy army. That should make a difference.

Haven’t gotten much past Shiloh, though, now that Helldivers and Total War: Warhammer have been occupying my time.

Yes. :)

Anyone on this board who lives in my area is welcome (and encouraged) to hit me up for a face-to-face game.

My VASSAL time is very limited, however. If you want to collect a list of people who might do ASL via VASSAL, definitely do it. Or maybe we could even do a teaching session for people who are interested. Any number of people can spectate via VASSAL, right?