Grognard Wargamer Thread!

You should do a video. It would be a shame to deprive White Dog a quote from spacerumfeld.

“GOTY” - wargamespace.com

“I loved it” - Wild Weasel podcast

“Buy this game” Tom v Bruce

“WHITE TRIBE WHITE TRIBE” Some crazy guy walking around Portland.

I mean, given the state of some boardgame (particularly wargame) rules, “coherent and playable” is not necessarily an out of the box guarantee.

I can’t argue against this point.

Has anyone seen the BBC series from the 70s, Colditz? I am contemplating starting a binge of it; curious if it’s worth the investment.

I watched the whole thing when I was a kid. I was allowed to because it was on BBC. I remember loving it. I have no idea if that means it was any good. I also liked Hogan’s Heroes when I was nine.

And The Rat Patrol. Anyhow, I’ll give it a shot.

Is Hogan’s Heroes not still great? Please don’t answer.

Turn Ten, Late 1779

Force Adjustment

1. His Majesty’s Government sees fit to send Viceroy Kane ten pounds, bringing the total to eleven. Viceroy Kane is instructed to hold New York.
  2. Jefferson Elected!: Jefferson becomes Governor of Virginia. He is inspirational, and so gives a -1 to loyalty at the end of every turn, but a military incompetent, who gives the British a column shift.
  3. Sullivan’s Expedition: General Washington sends the army to fight the Iroquois. The Mohawks are moved to the available Indians box.

Smugglers Phase

1. Privateers deploy to Long Island Sound and Chesapeake Bay.

Naval Phase

1. Vice Admiral Arbuthnot will move to shadow the French Fleet in Boston.
  2. Admiral Howe will deploy to fight Smugglers in Chesapeake Bay. Admiral Parker and Vice Admiral Graves will deploy to Long Island Sound.
  3. The Privateers were caught and eliminated (one in Long Island Sound, one in Chesapeake Bay). The Smuggler in Long Island Sound managed to evade Graves’s frigates.

British Ground Phase

1. Amnesty and Parole: A 2-2-2 Colonial is Amnestied, and the French Army, 2 2-2-2 Colonials, and a 1-2-3 are exchanged for two Lobsters (1-2-3 British Infantry), one British Horse, and one Loyalist Horse.
  2. Viceroy Kane spends 5 pounds to deploy two lobsters to Charles Town in the Carolinas, the Loyalist Horse to Over the Mountain in the Carolinas, and the Benedict Arnold Loyalist to Schuykill Valley in Pennsylvania.
  3. No combat this ground phase. Washington deploys in New York.

Rebel Placement Phase

1. A Committee of Safety deploys to Hampton Roads (a 1-3 fight for the rebels, with a column shift in the Brits favor due to Jefferson).
  2. 2-2-2 Colonials deploy in the Connecticut Coast and Rhode Island.
  3. A 2-2-2 Colonial deploys in the New York Frontier.
  4. A 2-2-2 Colonial deploys in New Jersey (in the Pennsylvania region).
  5. 2-2-2 Colonials deploy in Over the Mountain and Tidewater in the Carolinas.

Second Battle Phase

1. Battle of the Connecticut Coast: A 4-11 battle after militia. Rebels are eliminated. Battle of Rhode Island: Militia turn out for the Rebels, but they still only roll on the 50% table. The Colonials are eliminated.
  2. Battle of the Frontier: High militia turnout for the Rebels results in an even fight on the frontier. Unfortunately, the British regulars are highly trained, and able to rout the rebels. The Colonials are eliminated. No loyalty boost due to Washington.
  3. Battle of New Jersey: The Rebels have a strong militia presence and fight the Battle at even, thanks to the morale boost of fighting for Congress. The Rebels are forced to retreat, and because there are no available spaces, they are eliminated. Loyalty +1, to 6.
  4. Battle of Hampton Roads: A 2-5 fight for the Rebels after militia. The Rebels fight valiantly to force an exchange, but only manage to eliminate the Loyalist militia.
  5. Battle Over the Mountains: The Rebels fight on the 50% table, and force a retreat to the Piedmont. Rebels occupy Over the Mountains. Battle of Tidewater: The rebels here are not as lucky, and are heavily outnumbered and eliminated. Loyalty nets out even.

Rebel Campaigns

1. Rebels Campaign in Virginia and Carolina.
  2. In Virginia, the Rebels send a 1-3-2 to Battle for Hampton Roads. The French intervene, which drops 10 SPs of Rebels and the French Fleet, cutting off British retreat. Militia make it an 11-5 for the Rebels, and the Jefferson column shift means they roll on the 150% table. The British are forced to surrender to the Rebels, and are eliminated from the game. Loyalty -1, to 10.
  3. In Carolina the Rebels battle in the Piedmont, with even odds after the Militia deploys. Unfortunately, incompetent Rebel generalship results in the loss of the entire force. Loyalty +1, to 12.

Logistics Phase

1. The British spend one pound in Pennsylvania to improve its loyalty to 7.

Liberty Phase

1. The British control every state except Virginia, which is enough to deny the Rebels a Liberty boost.
  2. Loyalty: Only Virginia is effected, and it goes down 2 (Rebel Control and Jefferson), to 8.

Random Event Phase

1. Indians Attack: The Mohawk deploy to New York’s Frontier. New York’s loyalty moves to 10.
  2. Dutch Smugglers: A Dutch smuggler deploys to Delaware Bay, ready to supply the Rebels in Pennsylvania.

Parliament is stunned into silence at the surrender of a regiment of British regulars in the American colonies. At first, backbenchers and even some members of the cabinet call for Viceroy Kane to be relieved, but the Prime Minister expresses his confidence in Kane, and requests that additional moneys be allocated next year (twelve pounds), and instructs Kane to focus on maintaining control of the Carolinas. Washington prepares to lay siege to New York City, which is more of a propaganda campaign than a serious military effort. His Majesty’s Government is threatened by a potential French/Spanish invasion fleet, and begins preparations to pull some regular units from the colonies.

Berlin, flat as a pancake!

Turn Eleven, Early 1780

Force Adjustment Phase

1. His Majesty’s Government sends my twelve pounds to work with this turn.
  2. Invasion Scare!: French and Spanish fleets threaten to land an army 40,000 strong on the British Aisles. The British Government withdraws all “blue band” units, including both British Horse and 2 3-3-3 Foot units. The Colonials get a new COS unit in the force pool that is a 4-2-1 (up from the standard 2-1-1) representing the Swamp Fox, Francis Marion, who stalks the Carolinas. His Majesty’s Government provides Viceroy Kane with two additional Hessian mercenary units, a 1-2-3 and a 2-2-2. Small consolation for the loss of the British Horse units.
  3. New York City Siege: George Washington will spend the next three turns in New York, pretending to lay siege to the city.

Smuggler Phase

1. Privateers Deploy to Long Island Sound and Chesapeake Bay.

Naval Phase

1. Arbuthnot will shadow the French Fleet, which is in the Caribbean. Howe and Parker will go to Cape Fear to try and secure the Carolinas. Graves will try to eliminate the Privateer in Long Island Sound.
  2. The Privateer in Long Island Sound manages to damage Graves’s Frigate, returning it to dry dock. One of the Smugglers in the Carolinas is eliminated.

British Ground Phase

1. Three Rebel 2-2-2s are Amnestied.
  2. The 2-2-2 Hessians deploy to Over the Mountain in the Carolinas. The 1-2-3 Hessians Deploy to the River Forts in New York.
  3. No combat this phase.

Place Rebels Phase

1. Francis Marion deploys to Over the Mountains, and a Rebel COS deploys to Charles Town, both in Carolina.
  2. A 3-2-1 Continental deploys in Philadelphia and a 1-2-3 in New Jersey.
  3. A 2-2-2 deploys in Hampton Roads.
  4. A 3-2-1 deploys in Over the Mountains in the Carolinas.
  5. 2-2-2s deploy in the Connecticut Coast and Maine/Nova Scotia.
  6. 2-2-2s deploy in the River Forts.

Second Battle Phase

1. Battle of the Connecticut Coast: The Continental Army fights a bloody battle, but is ultimately eliminated by British Forces. Battle of Nova Scotia: A bloody exchange leaves both units in Nova Scotia eliminated.
  2. Battle of the River Forts: Loyalist Militia come out strong in support of the Hessians in the River Forts, who force the Rebel Army to retreat. They are surrounded, and so surrender.
  3. Battle of Philadelphia: The Rebels are hopelessly outgunned and are eliminated by the Guards unit stationed in Philadelphia. The Continental Congress is put to flight! Loyalty +2, to 9. Battle of New Jersey: While the Rebels are again outgunned, this time they manage to mount a strong attack. Although the Rebels are defeated, they manage to eliminate a Loyalist regiment in the process. +1 Loyalty, to 10.
  4. Battle of Over the Mountain: The Rebels put up an even fight, but are forced to retreat. Since they are in a wilderness area, they return to the force pool rather than be captured. Battle of Charles Town: The Rebel COS in Charles Town attempts a Guerrilla attack on the British Forces there, but is betrayed by local loyalist militia and eliminated.

Rebel Campaigns

1. The Rebels begin a Major Campaign in Virginia. Having already swept the British Out, they move to Carolina with the French Army, a 1-3-2 Continental Army, and a COS. They first battle in the Over the Mountain region, where they eliminate the British forces, but at grave cost–the French Army is exposed and eliminated. Loyalty -1. The Rebels sweep into the Piedmont region, where they fight another bloody battle with the Cherokee and Loyalist forces. The rebels are eliminated, but take the Cherokee with them. Loyalty +1.

Logistics Phase

1. The British spend one pound in Pennsylvania to increase loyalty to 11.
  2. The British spend three pounds to transport troops to the Piedmont in Virginia, including the Benedict Arnold 2-1-3 Loyalist, the 2-1-3 Hessians, and a 1-2-3 Lobster.
  3. Congress reconvenes in Pennsylvania, reducing its loyalty by one, to 10.

Liberty Phase

1. The British control New England, Pennsylvania, and Carolina (Hessians only are not able to control territory, so New York is uncontrolled). That is enough to deny the Rebels a liberty gain.
  2. Virginia goes down two loyalty, to 6, thanks to the presence of Hessians in the Piedmont and Thomas Jefferson. New York also goes down by two, to 8, thanks to Washington and the Hessians. Pennsylvania goes up 1 for British Control, to 11.

Random Events Phase

1. Frigates Diverted: Arbuthnot is diverted to the Caribbean.
  2. War in the Caribbean: The French continue to make trouble in the Caribbean, resulting in the diversion of a 3-3-3 British unit from Quaker Country. It is removed from the game.
  3. Loyalty Oath: British Commanders force Colonials in Pennsylvania to swear a loyalty oath. This once again backfires, driving locals to support the Rebel forces. -5 loyalty, to 6.

Kane manages to satisfy His Majesty’s Government again, but rumors say that this war may soon be over. British forces are needed elsewhere, and an advantageous peace could be negotiated. Kane will attempt to hold on, but his backers in government may ultimately seek peace with honor. The “siege” of New York City continues to occupy Washington in the north, and Parliament is still focused on Carolina.

At this point, there are two possible ways the game can go. If I can hold Carolina, Virginia, and any one other state for all but one of the remaining five turns, I will win a Substantive British Victory. If I cannot, I will be able to have Lord North resign and settle for a Marginal British Victory, the historical result.

Oh wow how did I miss this - this is huge.

We are happy to announce that we are resuming our Eastern Front scenario pack development.

The first one we plan to release later this year and it will be covering Soviet - Japanese border conflict in May - August 1939, known as Battle of Khalkhin-Gol or Nomonhan Incident.

This means the introduction of the entire Soviet and Japanese armies modelled ingame. Oh boy!

Saw that a while ago and found the choice of battles underwhelming. To me the Eastern Front battles started on June 22, 1941 and with so many to pick from I can’t imagine why Dave chose 1939 instead. I’ll probably get it but he could have made a much more interesting choice to kick off the Eastern Front.

Scope and scale, I guess. The USSR-Japan battles are a lot easier to manage, and a better place to cut their teeth than diving into Grog Central aka Barbarossa and beyond. Just my speculation; maybe the designer has a real bent for obscure battles, dunno.

That’s certainly not how it was taught when I was in school…

Our very own @Rod_Humble joining Paradox?! Why you cheeky little bugger. ;)

https://mailchi.mp/paradoxplaza/rod-humble-joins-paradox-interactive-as-lead-of-new-development-studio-in-california?e=f3babee5a8

Congrats man!

I vaguely remember watching it but don’t recall much about it. I have read Pat Reid’s book about a dozen times over the years though. And some of the newer ones. One that came out a while back had great photos of stuff from the escape museum like the “glider” and the Dutch dummy they used for roll calls.

So: David McCallum, Edward Hardwicke, Robert Wagner, Bernard Hepton (Tinker Tailor fame) the list goes on and on. On Episode 5. Fantastic. I am hooked.

Beware all ye who buy a Compass game. This is how they “fix errors and make good” after the umpteenth game released with egregious errors. I mean, it’s crap, but even then, who still does a Xerox these days?

Edit: To be clear. I have no idea why they even sent this to me. This was a sole piece of paper sent in an envelope with no other documentation. The game that is Fubar’d is Fire and Ice. This is a Sims Canada game from 1981!

Are they declaring a Jihad upon me?

I had an excellent experience with their customer support when I bought Enemy Action Ardennes, fwiw