Grognard Wargamer Thread!

That’s a good point. The only units I had to give fire orders to were the mortars. Everyone else basically did their own thing once given a “go here” order, basically. Great stuff.

Yeah, it’s really closer to those old Patrick Proctor ProSim games than Prinz Eugen’s AirLand Battle. You have less control over units than in Wargame. Imagine ProSim simmered to the point of reduction, then mixed with Command Ops and fried in a breading of Flashpoint. With all the 2D crudeness inherent in those games.

Was it you who was annoyed with it allowing armor to capture urban areas? I can’t remember.

Well, do you like it, or not?

It’s not really a game for me because, dare I say, it’s too “realistic.” Maybe “sterile” is a better word. I am too much of a grognard to like stuff that tries to marry realistic combat to 2D terrain. Either go abstract or go full on. Unfortunately, I think the presentation is a function of budget. Scroll up the thread a ways to see @Rod_Humble’s enthusiastic endorsement of the game, with beaucoup screenshots. And he’s a grognard. So who knows.

The short answer is: Its Steel Panthers in pausable realtime with information modelling (including orders which as has been noted means you have to play this game differently to most others).

Long answer as @Brooski notes I have paragraphs of praise here in the thread I wont re spam but my love has not diminished over time. Also we spent an entire 3MA podcast fan boying it if you want more.

Your question about Wargame - Red Dragon is a good one. I dont know why they feel so different but they do. I think it maybe their their campaign systems and proc gen games are just radically different. But at some point you are going to be clicking symbols on a map rather than zooming in to look at 3d or 3d graphics so I guess they are similar in that regard.

Biggest positives vs Wargame:
Armored Brigades units “feel” like they are more important because they wont be respawning via reinforcements like in Wargame. The battle generators and campaign system is better for my tastes in Armored Brigade.

Biggest negatives vs Wargame:
Elevation as @Brooski notes doing 3d elevation in a Steel Panthers/Close combat 2D game is tough, this game doesnt solve it. Helicopter system (There are Helicopters but the system for them is just weird), aircraft work great, just choppers are weird.

Hope that helps and happy to answer questions if you have any!

I keep trying to do the river crossing scenario and I keep getting slaughtered as I cross - one of these days I’ll try and take the time to actually learn properly how it plays. I’m not used to playing games with ‘modern’ engagement ranges - as in, most of the map >.<

I’ve only had time to do one more attempt, still a fail/draw. Kinda love it.

RIP. Lets celebrate his great game designs.

Top 3 Berg games for you?

Me:

Infidel

Genesis

Blackbeard

Wow, that’s a bummer. I think in memory of Berg, @Brooski should set up and play through that copy of Campaign for North Africa on his shelf.

Do you have something against Brooski?

A Legend. Rest in Peace.

My Bergs:

Agree with @Rod_Humble

The Classic:

Little known, and a fave of mine, Sideshow:

I never played it, but watched my older brother play it. I was a huge Tolkien fan (still am, I guess) and seeing the world laid out like that and the armies and characters marching around made quite an impression.

Rest in peace, Richard.

I tangled with Mr. Berg once upon a time, but am sorry to hear this news.

I have fond memories of playing Terrible Swift Sword and Bloody April back in the 80s and later spent many hours with S.P.Q.R and Alexander.

RIP Mr. Berg.

Really, really sad. I wish I had taken the time to interview him so we could have more of his thoughts and witticisms preserved. See Guns, Dice, Butter for some classic Berg-isms.

Really sad to hear the news. RHB’s games were mostly not my bag, but I appreciate the fact that he did games on more esoteric subjects. I like his Chickamauga game released by West End Games back in the day (still have it), and the GBoH games are okay (especially if you house rule them to your own satisfaction).

If you never read his game reviews, they were witty and cogent. I enjoyed his writing probably more than his game designs.

He was a real character, and he’ll always be a huge name in the hobby. Sad to see him go.