Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Kübelwagen - the Wargame

BTW, I started a thread, because…well…I think it was a good idea, maybe.

Hmmmm…

Matrix sale from now until January 12th, 2020: https://www.matrixgames.com/inventory/special

Excellent!

Though unfortunately none of the COMMAND DLC appears to be on sale this year. Guess that makes sense give the new release, but still that DLC (if used stand alone) only provides the old game right?

Diego

Some interesting stuff in there. I might buy Brother Against Brother, Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich or War Plan Orange at $10, but probably just one. Which one? Hmm.

I’ve only played Eagle Day but it’s pretty damned great.

Nice, even for a masochist like me it looks a little overwhelming.

Hollandspiele, publisher of small but mighty war games, oddities, and extravagances, is having their annual sale:

Some really great stuff there. They make a number of good solitaire games, a variety of war games, and other fun stuff.

Fine Games is also having its annual clearance sale of tabletop wargames
http://www.finegames.com/text/finegames_2019_clearance.pdf

There are some true oddities on that Fine Games list. I like the item listed as “from a smoker’s collection; slight odor.”

Is anyone interested in another forum game?

Specifically, I was thinking of Hollandspiele’s new release, Westphalia. From the designer, Tom Russell:

Westphalia is a game about the diplomatic negotiation and military campaigns that ended the Thirty Years War and the Eighty Years War, two wars that lasted for thirty and eighty years, respectively. Everyone involved was broke and exhausted and just wanted it to end, but they also wanted a settlement that would be worth the blood and treasure they had expended. While talks were going on in Westphalia, their armies in the field were still campaigning, still killing each other, because a victory there would give them more leverage at the table. Folks on the losing side would stall during talks hoping their own army could reverse their losses. So this is a game that alternates negotiation with military operations—Diplomacy Phases and Military Phases.

Each player controls a different power that has different goals they’re trying to achieve. At the end of the game, if you’ve achieved your goal, you win. Multiple players can win if they meet their goals. The catch is, if all six players meet their goals, then the game goes to scoring, and only one player wins.

Westphalia requires six players, who represent Austria, Bavaria, the Dutch Republic, France, Spain, and Sweden, all of whom have distinct objectives to secure at the peace talks.

The game consists of four diplomacy phases, with three military phases spaced in between. In real life, it takes about two hours to play. It will, of course, take a little longer in the forum context.

I would be happy to moderate the game if we have six people who want to play, or to take one of the player spots if we have fewer than six.

Details at the Hollandspiele site:

PDF Rules available at Board Game Geek:

Wow, that sounds cool as hell. I’m interested. Only the runner (you) would require a copy of the actual game, yes?

I like this from the BGG description: “There is no money in the game, only Debt, and you only ever seem to get more of it.”

Funnily enough I’ve been looking for one to run myself. If you do this, I’ll have an option after that.

I’m looking for a good, historically deep mp game now.

Fair warning - I still can’t get the Manassas scenario (the one scenario I bought the game for) to run. War Plan Orange is OK, but the larger scale and lack of aircraft feels lacking after playing WitP:AE. Actually just get WitP:AE - its 80% off!

Indeed. I have a copy coming in the mail. No one else will need one.

I think it will be a lot of fun, assuming we have six folks interested enough to give it a try.

Also, one of the premises of the game is that, at the time, Spain was completely bankrupt and couldn’t even cover the interest payments on its debts. It obscured this through prestige and lavish, debt-financed spending to maintain confidence in their (fictional) ability to repay. Spain realized they lost the war in the Netherlands 40-years before the time of the game, but couldn’t accept a humiliating defeat because the loss of prestige would unravel the confidence game they were running on their moneylenders.

I think this stuff is fascinating.

@CF_Kane I’m game. If we get 6 I’ll order it to support the Hollandspiele family. Maybe we can get the designer to come here, kibitz and laugh at our poor play. :)

It does look interesting.

I think I’ve settled on an old, easy to play chestnut:

I was thinking about Pax Britannica or Here I Stand, but Kingmaker upon rumination won me over.

Pretty sure I still have my copy of Kingmaker. Don’t remember a thing about it.