Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Wow… that really looks like the wrong interface for the job. Think I’d rather go find my install of the late 2000’s Carriers at War re-make.

Well I picked up Midway - it is pretty clunky but it does what Rule the Waves 2 and Command Modern Ops just fall short of - it lets you duke it out in historical WW2 flattop battles.

If you want Midway then you could have had this which two friends and I designed for Avalon Hill back in 1980. :)

Was that Midway or Star Blazers?

https://i.imgur.com/c0J8trZ.jpg

really, you designed this? i played the heck out of this on my commodore system back in the day. your work was appreciated!

I see no Wave Motion Gun.

Yup, two friends and I designed some of the first computer games done by Avalon Hill back in the 80’s. Midway Campaign, North Atlantic Convoy Raider, B-1 Nuclear Bomber, Planet Miners, Empire of the Overmind, and probably a couple more I’ve forgotten. We never got rich, but it paid for all our computers with some left over for beer.

Eric Dott (owner of Avalon Hill) used to give us his box seats for the Orioles or Capitals every time we came down with a new game. He was a great guy.

very cool…also played b1 quite a bit…funny thing i likely played those more simplistic games more than i play all the modern games with all the bells and whistles nowadays.

@Grim.Reaper Happy to hear you liked them! We had a lot of fun making them even though we never hit it big. Computer wargaming was, and still is, a niche market.

Planet Miners…haven’t thought about that one in forever…

Me either!

Oh man. We played the heck out of that. Even over the phone (not modem, but actually talking on the phone passing orders to the guy running it on his computer while tracking it on maps on the players ends, sort of double blind).

It was also the first game we ever “modded” by editing the code to add more planes. So we could get results like “18,000 Kates attack Yorktown”…
HIT! NEAR MISS NEAR MISS NEAR MISS HIT! NEAR MISS
NEAR MISS NEAR MISS HIT! NEAR MISS NEAR MISS NEAR MISS
HIT! NEAR MISS NEAR MISS NEAR MISS HIT! NEAR MISS
NEAR MISS NEAR MISS HIT! NEAR MISS NEAR MISS
for 20 minutes or so.

Thank you for that and the others. Makes me miss my TRS-80.

Glad you liked the games. Wish I had kept my TRS-80. It would be a collectors item today.

OMG I have been fascinated with those Avalon-Hill text-based war games since I first played them in the 1980s. Would you be willing to do an interview, either by email or on skype, about Midway (and the other games, to the extent that you remember them?)

Sure email would work. I am still in contact with the other two guys who designed the games so I can include them on anything you ask and we can then all chime in. They both still work full time and are in different parts of the country so Skype would be nearly impossible to coordinate.

Edit - @peterb No wonder nobody bought our games. Pirates! LOL

I was so young back then but sorta remember playing some of these at a local game store that allowed you to rent PC time. The nostalgia is killing me now :-(

A brilliant game.

Thanks again.

Great video on the state of Compass’ OSS and specifically Korea: Fire and Ice, by Kev, aka Big Board aka Hipshot.