Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Those look like counters from the Panzer Leader 1940 expansion for the game that was published in the Avalon Hill General.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

Is there a set of ASL counters that are comparable to original SL ones? I am missing a few halftracks, the 6-6-6- American Units, a radio unit, and a Russian infantry.

Sorry, I have no idea on the answer to the ASL counters question, but in somewhat related news…

The Armchair Dragoons Digital Convention has opened up registration. June 18-20. $5 gets you in, and from there you can get free “tickets” to all the sessions.

EDIT: Just looking over the events compared to the last one I went to, this one is at the moment anyway much lighter on sessions. So this might be a smaller event compared to the one I attended a couple weeks ago. Caveat emptor.

Oh nice.

In terms of the SL pieces, my friend may have some SL pieces all thrown in a bag, so there is hope.

Ooh, ooh, can I play “What Grognard Game Is This Counter From?”, even if I’m not a grognard?

If you look closely, you’ll notice Lukin’s 16th Army three hexes west of the Dead King and three hexes south of the adventurers’ party, holding a defense position behind the river. Believe it or not, the counter is from a different game than the one in the photo!

Who can identify where the counter is from? @Brooski is not allowed to guess for reasons that will be revealed later.

-Tom

My first two thoughts weren’t right, but then I had an idea and …

…Panzergruppe Guderian?

I thought I actually had this one and vaguely remember playing it, but I can’t find it. I suspect I might be missing a box of games somewhere downstairs.

See, Tom? You’re playing with a group of very astute grognards.

A winner is you!

I found it in my couch cushions a few weeks ago. I had no idea where it came from, and I don’t own many games with chits like that. I certainly don’t own a copy of Panzer Group Goodarian. So when I showed a picture to @brooski, he informed me that it was his and it was, indeed, missing from his copy of Panther Grip Gouda. He must have been carrying it around in his pocket for good luck when he visited me to play Imperial Struggle, and it fell out of his pocket when he was sitting on the couch or something.

Actually, I think the more likely scenario is that it was in a side pocket of his luggage for some reason, and it fell out when he put the luggage on my couch. Either way, weird, huh?

Anyway, I’ve been using it to mark quests in fantasy games because I know the East Front is so goshdarn boring and poor Lukin could probably use a change of scenery after spending so much time in Pantry Grab Godwinian with all those other dull bits and bobs.

Who probably don’t store their boardgames vertically or tote the components around in their pockets like so much loose change! Unclipped, to boot. I bet you don’t even sleeve your Advanced Squad Leader cards.

-Tom

That is definitely, well, uncommon, that a human being goes around the planet randomly dropping wargame counters of Russian generals from Panther Groove Godiva, a 45-year-old war game.

My imagination runs with this a bit, and pictures a cluster of grognards following him around everywhere he goes, wondering what counter he will drop next.

“Oh, score! A British frigate from Wooden Ships and Iron Men!”

I was thinking maybe he squirreled it away to blunt a panzer attack when his opponent wasn’t looking, just to win a cutthroat game with thousands of dollars on the line.

But then I remembered Bruce doesn’t play as the Soviets!

The fact that the putative mechanism for this transport involves a backpack I almost never use, with a game I haven’t even opened since last summer, makes me very suspicious of the narrative. More likely, Tom swiped the counter the last time he was at my house about a year and a half ago, and waited until I visited him to legitimize the explanation. Tom sure plays the long game, sometimes!

Anyone have suggestions or words of wisdom regarding plexiglass? I’m thinking to pick up a piece or two to cover some paper maps and was wondering about sizing, thickness, etc.

I spotted this roll of plexiglassy like stuff on Amazon, which at 1.5mm thick looked like it might work okay, but yeah, I’ve no clue really.

Also found this conversation on BBG that seems to say, " Don’t overthink it. Just get some cheap sheets at Lowe’s / Home Depot."

@Zilla_Blitz I use plexiglass over my maps all the time. Just measure your most often played maps and buy a sheet that is a bit larger on all sides. Never used it from a roll but I’d be worried it wouldn’t lay flat along the rolled edges.

I always used to get the cheapest sheets I could find that were not scratched up and which would lay flat. Laying flat is the biggest thing, along with clarity.

Thanks for the ideas!

That rolled sheet looked interesting, but I saw some comments about it being somewhat sticky and leaving a residue on surfaces, so I think I’ll pass on that.

We have a Lowe’s nearby, and it looks like they have some reasonably priced, thin (.08-inch / 2mm) sheets. I think I’ll run over there this weekend and pick up one or two different sizes that look like they would work with most maps.

The consensus seems to be that thinner is better, so the units don’t appear to float above the map.

Thin is good, but rigid is good too, because at least for me I want a very solid surface, not one that ripples with the ripples in the board.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/austin-tx/james-hornfischer-10217895 I think great book like Neptune’s Inferno written by James Hornfischer was mentioned over here before? Since it’s not widely reported, here’s to let his fans know that he passed away 2 days ago.

Sorry to hear the news about Mr Hornfischer. :(

@Zilla_Blitz , I hope your local Lowe’s can sell you an appropriately-sized sheet of plexiglass without cutting it. When my local hardware store cuts my plexiglass, it results in rather sharp and uneven edges that can actually cut my finger. I’ve been too lazy to sand them down, but I suppose that might fix it.

I don’t know how thick my plexi is, but I actually kind of like when the units hover over the map a bit. :)

Tom and Bruce: that Pansy’s Groupies’ Goodies story is hilarious!

Panzergruppe Guderian (Poodle Grope Gargantuan?) was one of the earlier Strategy & Tactics games I got in the magazine way back when (I think the first was Conquistador). Man, that was a long time ago, like 1976. To me it doesn’t seem that long ago, but to my students, it might as well be from the Roman Empire era.