Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I send the wife and kids on a trip and stay home with the dog. Problem solved! :)

On a trip and playing Carrier Battles for the first time (Steam, laptop.) Playing the search tutorial, and we’ve found three enemy TFs. It says select the TF to see the composition - one is darker red so I assume better info, but when I click on it all I get is when the sighting was last updated. How do I see what the search planes think the TF is?

I clearly need to think more creatively. :) I wonder if they would notice if I weren’t on the plane with them… #homealone

Just change jobs every six months, so you never earn any substantial vacation time. Then they go off on their own.

These are great ideas! The older I get, the more I hate traveling.

At age 70 my idea of traveling is walking from the gaming table to the fridge and back.

If I could take a train a lot of places, I’d do that. I liked that about living in Europe. I don’t mind road trips, either, but those are not my wife’s favorite things by a long shot. I just hate flying. Well, flying coach. Which is what I have to do, as anything else is like stupid expensive. And even then, you still have to get through the hell on earth known as “the airport.”

In any event, with three dogs, travelling is sort of not happening. The kennel we board our hounds at when we do have to travel charges more than a lot of nice hotels. They treat the dogs better than hotels treat people, though.

I settled on bringing with me the rulebooks for Storm Above the Reich and Last Hundred Yards: Airborne over Europe. It actually made for some good reading time on the plane. If I can come back with two games ready for the table, I’ll be happy. :)

Mirabile dictu! Compass shipped the “Designer’s Signature Edition” NATO game. I pre-ordered it like over a year ago? It showed up today along with our new microwave (coincidence? Probably.). Counters seem to be cut properly at least. Haven’t really dug into it, as I’ll probably, um, never actually play it, but it certainly looks nice enough. Not sure I’m a fan of the color and design choices on the map, though.

Everyone’s favorite gets a piece in FP: New Wargame “War in the East 2” Explains How Russia Stopped Hitler

I’m wondering, do people have favorite Civil War and US Revolution games they could recommend?

For the Civil War, I’m thinking both grand scale and individual battle. For the US Revolution, I’m leaning toward grand scale.

I really like Mark Herman. He’s got my go to strategic Revolutionary War game in Washington’s War:

He went on and did a variation of the system for the Civil War with For the People:

I own both but have only played Washington’s War. I have played that quite a few times and absolutely love it.

I don’t have any operational or tactical recommendations.

Interesting. I’m not familiar with either of those, but am checking them out. Thanks. :)

Victory Games “The Civil War” is generally acknowledged as a classic for refighting the whole shebang.

Interesting, thanks! Your link got me reading some of the forums for the game on BGG, and a post there mentions that Simonitch put out The U.S. Civil War, and that may have eclipsed this?

US Civil War is a somewhat simplified version of VG Civil War. It trades some amount of possibility space for being quicker to play. I don’t think it’s ‘eclipsing’ at all. For my tastes, I prefer For the People, but I think if I wanted something a bit more meaty, i’d play VG’s old Civil War.

Yeah, that VG Civil War was a sweet design all around.

There are many choices for individual ACW battles, and many good ones, at various levels of size and complexity. I like Hermann Luttmann’s ‘Stonewall’s Sword’ system games. Not simple, but not overly complex, and not monsters. They work and the system makes sense. Beautiful (but typically busy) Rick Barber maps, too.

VG’s Civil War is a classic, deservedly so, but I’d rather play U.S. Civil War nowadays. Much more streamlined. ‘For the People’ is one of my favorite games, hard to go wrong there.

It’s been eclipsed I’m sure by more modern designs, but several summers when I was much younger we would play Terrible Swift Sword, set up in someone’s basement or garage, over the course of many weeks. We’d play in teams, with communications during the battle only allowed by note, which had to be moved as if by a runner on the map, with cavalry movement points, etc. Pretty darn fun, if a bit over the top now that I think of it.

The Great Battles of the American Civil War games are the modern day equivalents to the TSS system. Much more complicated, though.