Guilty Pleasures

It’s a little cliche to be a Woody Allen fanboy. I’m not nearly as smart, sophisticated, and hip as I feel after watching a good Woody Allen movie. They get me high but I might be kidding myself that I understand why they get me high. Maybe I’m a poser…do i have to show my work? So yeah watching Manhattan makes me feel a little guilty.

Sleepaway Camp, especially if I can watch it with someone who has never seen it before.

Movies like Flash Gordon don’t count as guilty pleasures. Nobody actually feels guilty about watching those, they just say they do to try to look cooler than they are >:(

Actually Amelie is a good pick for me. It got a ton of acclaim at first, then the snobs turned on it pretty hard (in my personal experience). Sits in an unfortunate limbo. I think it’s rad though - but it’s been a while since I saw it.

Independence Day.

Mainly because of Jeff Goldblum, his dad, the Area 51 scientist and the US military.

He has a name! Data!!!

Yeah, for guilty pleasure shoot-em-ups I’ll go with:
Demolition Man: Taco Bell
Soldier: “Soldiers deserve soldiers, Sir.”
Independence Day: “And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday…”

While I don’t feel truly embarassed to enjoy them, I recognize none were exactly cinematic masterpieces.

The Postman. I’m not supposed to like it, but I do. And I feel shame.

I’ll echo Eurotrip, and raise you the awful-but-I-love-it-anyway Dukes of Hazzard movie.

I like a lot of movies that most of you don’t, but those are two that I freely admit are purely guilty pleasures. (I really, really love Eurotrip though.)

If liking Clue is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Such a wonderful movie, coming out on Blu-ray soon as well.

And I dunno how I could’ve forgotten Vibes, with Jeff Goldblum, Cyndi Lauper and Peter Falk. Such a wonderfully cheesy movie.

Going to have to be Ready to Rumble for me. Bad movie, but for some reason, I can never say no to it.

I saw Mannequin 2 at an ‘unnecessary sequels’ movie night and it far exceeded my low, low expectations so Ill add that one to the pile.

Galaxy of Terror–So bad, but Joanie dying was totally worth it.
I’m Gonna get You Sucka–Can’t help it, I laugh my ass off with this one.
Last Man Standing–So many good actors giving such bad performances.
Death to Smoochy–Is this one considered really bad?

I thought Death to Smoochy was pretty good.

Nine Months - starring Hugh Grant, Julianne Moore, Robin Williams, Tom Arnold, Jeff Goldblum and Joan Cusack.

That romantic comedy with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant, where Hugh Grant plays a straight member of Wham!.

I have no idea why I enjoy it.

Oh, Music and Lyrics. I love that movie too.

Pootie Tang

Tales From The Hood