H1Z1 - First Dayz AAA clone?

I watched a video of it and I’ll say you’re correct on this. I guess that what happens when you get some TV money and aren’t just streaming on Twitch or whatever. The studio setup was nuts.

AFAIK, this was a first for regular (non-cable) TV right? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a live broadcast for any eSport outside of ESPN8 or Spike and the like.

Yeah, I think so. First non-cable instance I can think of.

ESPN2 has done some LoL and Dota2, TBS has e-leauge which has done overwatch, CS:GO and SFV.

But, I think this was a first.

My takeaway from the broadcast. Boy is Playerunknown’s battlegrounds a complete clone of H1Z! king of the kill. Which was a clone of DayZ.

But, it is very watchable to a newcomer.

Well, to be fair, Battlegrounds was developed by the guy that headed the H1Z1: King of the Hill project, and he was also the guy the created the original Arma 2 Battle Royale mod.

Battlegrounds is nothing like DayZ. But I guess the misconception comes from the original BR mod being a mod of the DayZ mod for Arma II.

Yeah, I think I knew that.

It is interesting because one thing that PUBG lacks is any sort of e-sports interface. There is no way for you to spectate games with free cam or anything like they did with H1Z1. It seems like the public zeitgeist has moved to PUBG, and it hit a lot bigger than H1Z1 KotK.

I thought maybe that it was not as good of a game, but the broadcast made it look really polished and stable. I wonder why people flocked to PUBG and didn’t pick up H1Z1?

It is quite a bit similar in some ways. DayZ was never really about the zombies, the player interactions were the most memorable parts of the games.

I mean, you are set alone on a vaguely russian island, looting houses for gear and weapons, avoiding other players.

I think that PUBG is basically a PVP focused DayZ game condensed into 30 minutes.

You’d have to dig back through the thread, but H1Z1 had a ton of F2P issues and drama due to originally being a Sony Online Entertainment joint that got sold off to Daybreak when Sony got out of the MMO arena. PUBG even in early access is a much more focused and polished product than H1Z1 was at launch.

“Nothing like DayZ” may have been an exaggeration, but PUBG also has no crafting or survival bullshit. I see H1Z1, Rust and Ark more like DayZ, with BR, KotK and PUBG being in their own genre.

Fair enough. There are no real survival metrics other than health, bandages etc.

I think that the “gas” circles closing in is a bit much though. I wonder if that could be a legal issue, as that game mechanic is very specific, and identical between games. This mechanic looks and feels identical. I know that gaming is full of copycats, but that really feels like a copycat.

From what I have seen PUBG is clearly the superior game. It is much more polished and stable looking. I read the reddit for H1Z1 and it is like 90% people bitching about how the developer never fixes anything. It looks like with a few more updates, PUBG will eat H1Z1’s lunch.

One thing that bothers me, as a fan of Battle Royale, is that the game would be so much cooler if they removed the gas/circles concept, and changed to a more BR style of “sectors”. I guess I don’t know how hard that would be to develop (hard, I’ll bet) but I have to think that Daybreak and their corporate overlords are eying up this game with their lawyers.

I just grabbed PUBG last night and so far it’s better in pretty much every way to this.

Daybreak licensed the game mode from PlayerUnknown, and even had him working on KotK, so I doubt there’ll be any legal issues. The circles concept is also very similar to the BR mod, with the difference being the moving wall of fog since it was something he was unable to do in the Arma 3 engine. But the shrinking circles themselves are exactly the same.

Edit: some info here in this PC gamer article (from before the KotK release):

Well then. Everything seems in order here.

Move along.

Hey! Time to do what all sketchy Steam games do when they want a second (or third) chance!

NAME CHANGE!

This will now be called “Just Survive”

“A new narrative has been established, separating Just Survive from the H1Z1 universe. Just Survive’s rebranding and content update represents the development team’s evolved vision for the game and lays the foundation for future updates in the months to come.”

Wait, isn’t this the 2nd name change?

Yup. It was just “H1Z1” then it split into “H1Z1: Just Survive” and “H1Z1: King of the Kill” - the former having zombies, the latter being just PvP. H1Z1: Just Survive is becoming Just Survive. H1Z1: King of the Kill is not changing.

At least the reviews carry over with the name change. So this is just to lure in new unsuspecting suckers players?

I’m guessing because they want the “H1Z1” name to be ONLY associated with the more successful King of the Kill, which most people just call “H1Z1.” Possible that the confusion between the two games just got obnoxious enough.

http://www.githyp.com/h1z1s-player-base-has-declined-by-91-since-pubg-and-fortnite-took-over/

If it wasn’t dead before, its sure will be soon.

I figured it was dead as soon as Daybreak bought out SOE. I’m actually a little surprised it’s still been zombieing along.

Even Lawbreakers only lost 77% of its playerbase since December.

Of course, that’s only 17 players.