H1Z1 - First Dayz AAA clone?

I guess the latest drama with this is the Battle Royale subscription plan they recently rolled out. The Battle Royale mode was available at no additional cost before, but now it’s going to cost $6.99 per month to access. AFAIK, players can still access Battle Royale for free if they find an “event ticket” in loot, but I have no idea what the frequency of that will be.

As you may guess, the news was not greeted with cheers and applause.

This game is… not good

Daybreak Games is off to a fantastic start. Charge people for early access to a F2P game that meets the definition by only the slimmest of margins? Fine. Start putting their resources into Battle Royale, then charge a monthly fee to access that one single game mode, in a game that’s in a barely playable alpha?

Just… yuck. I’m sure the new ownership is all about trying to generate dat revenue, regardless of the feasibility.

Looks like the hacking cheats are seriously all over this game. They got serious problems if they want people to pay for this.

I’m glad I got my twenty bucks worth early–I had few illusions, and had some decent fun until I exhausted the pretty slim pickens. Haven’t logged in in weeks though, and now, don’t wanna…

They’re backing off.

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2zpqw3/we_will_not_turn_on_charging_for_br_for_a_good/

Hello H1Z1 players,

We’ve listened to your feedback. It came through loud and clear. From our perspective we’ve been really super clear about our plans from even before day 1 regarding this. What’s also clear though is that you expect more from us in terms of quality level so that’s what we’re going to do. We’ll focus on bugs, awesome new stuff and adding a ton of features to BR and our main game to make you feel like you’re more than happy to pay for it. Only then will we charge for it.

Smed

Yeah, not a good sign though. The revenue has to come from somewhere. Is this going to be like DF9?

John Smedley is stepping down.

How far are now the days of people saying “This is going to be DayZ done right!”.

Not that Dayz is doing any good.

So is H1Z1 ever going to be finished? I hear almost nothing about it.

Twitter and reddit usually have news on updates

They posted a twitter about the newest test server update.

The twitter stuff usually leads to the reddit page for H1Z1.

Newest TS patch:
https://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/3e5n6l/test_server_update_721/

I haven’t played this in ages, after being fairly interested for a while. Seems they’ve tweaked a lot.

Amazing. H1Z1 will be split into two games on February 17th, neither of which will be F2P.

H1Z1: Just Survive will be the survival/scavenging zombie game

H1Z1: King of the Kill will be the battle royale PvP game.

Each title will be $19.99. They will both have in-game purchases.

If you currently have H1Z1, you’ll get both games.

On the one had, weird, but on the other, eh, I never saw how the two things actually fit together.

If you break it down, most of these survival crafters (DAYZ, Rust, H1Z1, etc) are mostly about the PvP anyway. People don’t give a crap about the zombies. They want to craft guns and murder each other.

Thing is, with H1Z1, I only played the open-world bits, but on PvP servers. The Battle Royale PvP arena stuff I never touched. If I’m reading this right, they’ll still have PvP servers for the zombie survival thing, right? Plus the arena stuff. It’s the latter I don’t get. I mean, there are a zillion arena-style shooters out there. This game engine is mediocre, but that can work with the zombie survival stuff, PvE or PvP. But why on earth play a battle royale stand alone?

I picked up the KotK version during the sale. Wasn’t expecting much but then played all night into the wee hours of the morning. 150 players drop in at the same time, last one alive wins. Map gets smaller as poison gas closes in forcing the action to ramp up ala Battle Royale. Die early? just queue up for the next drop.

For me the balance between the tense moments, the action and the scavenging is pretty good.

Hmmm. I guess this happened:

http://www.h1z1fightforthecrown.com/

A live prime time televised H1Z1: King of the Hill tournament. 75 players squared off in H1Z1 at 9PM on 4/20 (gamer appropriate) for $300k prize pool.

Don’t feel bad if you didn’t know about it. It was broadcast on the CW network. No one watched it.

Well, screw you! I watched it.

I was flpping around friday night, and I was like… huh… this seems cool.

And boy… was it. They went all out on the production there. With “referees” pulling team members away when they died.

Favorite moment, when the “amateur” team of contest winners were murked in about 10 seconds by a pro team, being the first full team to die.

I like my esports the same way as my regular sports: live.