Half-Life: Alyx

Oh I gotcha. Yeah, that one sounds like a bug.

Most people like (or more accurately: need) snap turning. Even people who don’t have problems playing most VR games, continuous turning makes you dizzy.

Smooth is my favorite. I had a little bit of discomfort when I first got VR about a year ago, but hundreds of hours in Skyrim and Fallout VR beat that out of me. Sadly, I actually can’t play Alyx until this is fixed.

Well, it seems you played more VR than me, that’s the difference. Usually it’s ok to turn in real life if you only need less than 90º of turning, and do the rest with the pad if you need more. Because you can mix it with ‘RL turning’, snap isn’t so bad imo.

Not sure about that. Most games have an option for smooth turning! :)

I hope they patch it in.

Yeah, I don’t get VR sickness, but I like snap turning. Anything less than 90 degrees, you just turn your head.

I always liked smooth turning more as long as it was really fast. I would sort of unfocus my eyes without thinking during the turn and I’d be fine for hours and hours in Skyrim. Slow smooth turning for me was a death sentence.

Other than the snap turning issue this is really an astonishing game. I sucked it up and played while standing for an hour and tried to turn IRL instead of relying on the joystick. The physics in this game are freakishly good. You can pick up and interact with just about everything. There were some guards outside of a window so I picked up a marker and drew “ASS CLOWNS” and drew an arrow pointing at them. Childish? Yeah. Satisfying? Hell Yeah.

Forgot to add. I have a Ryzen 3700X, 32 gigs of 3200 ram, and an RTX 2080 running a Rift S. I can run this flawlessly on max settings. It’s also on a lightening fast NVME drive.

This sounds so good I think I am going to have to get it at full price.

EDIT: Oh, you have to reach behind your back to get ammo. Since Mixed Reality headsets only track in front, how’s that going to work? I wonder if valve put in a button press option or something.

Games have been handling this for years. The controllers still have gyro sensing which works perfectly fine for behind the back gestures. Not as precise but plenty good.

Have you used mixed reality headsets (real question)? I can’t do anything behind my back as the gyro sensing goes crazy that far away from the cameras.

I have a quest, which is in the same boat. It works well enough for games which simply require you to reach toward your back to pick something up. Like space pirate trainer and such.

It’s not requiring complex behind the back movements. It basically just tracks the controller going up and over toward your back, squeeze the grip, and then it goes back in view.

I bet Jm will stream this. No WAY in hell am I ever gonna put on some goofy VR helmet… but it my be fun to watch.

NO WAY! I mean good god nerd city.

But… we look cool

JM is streaming alex atm --he is fumbling through the VR which is kinda cool.

Just played the first hour or so and loved it. I used the smooth locomotion option where you use the left controller stick.

I did spend the first 15 minutes just tossing things off the porch at people. :)

The game is amazing to look at. No sickness here, but I mostly just get motion sickness in small planes. Controls are really easy to get a handle on.

And I don’t care if I look like a total dork in the comfort of my own home.

New Nvidia drivers released for this btw

Holy shit, are you kidding me with this game? It’s AMAZING! Literally awe-inspiring.