Half of Americans say they wouldn't vote for Clinton in '08

Half of Americans say they wouldn’t vote for Clinton in '08

More than half of Americans say they wouldn’t consider voting for Sen. Hillary Clinton for president if she becomes the Democratic nominee, according to a new national poll made available to McClatchy Newspapers and NBC News.

The poll by Mason-Dixon Polling and Research found that 52 percent of Americans wouldn’t consider voting for Clinton, D-N.Y.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican, was second in the can’t-stand-'em category, with 46 percent saying they wouldn’t consider voting for him.

There is nothing she can do to change enough minds, to get enough votes to become president. Partially because she is a woman, but mostly because she is Hillary.

Is this one of those trick statistics?

“How many of you 10 people in this room aren’t going to vote at all? Nine? Excellent! 90% of people said they wouldn’t vote for Hillary!”

Or is this actually talking about people who are planning on voting for someone?

Most Americans haven’t seen Hillary speak since about the time of Monica-gate.

All these early national polls should not be taken too seriously.

So what happens if we have a Clinton vs. Romney campaign?

Good Daily show gags, which is about the only thing I look forward to in this current political climate.

Low exit polls?

I do agree with Phil Stein, still early days.

Well, good thing most Americans don’t vote anyways.

President Bloomberg.

President Bloomberg.

Hillary should take heart – she does have an EXCELLENT chance of winning the Democratic primary.

I hope she wins just to have bill back in the white house and are the hilarity that entails.

Hmmm…half of Americans polled. So if 1000 Americans were polled, and 520 of them were either Republicans, Democrats who favored another candidate, or just plain did not plan to vote, then 52% of “Americans” would not vote for Hillary.

Statistics don’t lie!

The blurb said 625 “likely voters” were polled so it’s not like that trick. They story does day that 88% of Republicans were against her, so a little envelope scribbling:

Ignoring people labeling themselves as Independent (probably a fatal assumption actually): assume Republicans are 52% of the 625 polled. That means 325 Republicans polled, and 88% of them are against Hilary, which translates to 286 negativizers. And since 52% of the entire field is anti, that means 39 Democrats are against her. 39 of 300 (the 48% of the field which is not Republican) means that about 13% of Democrats are anti-Hilary.

So the real question is this: is the fact that 13% of Democrats are anti-Hilary a story or not? At this point, probably not.

Maybe not the worst thing.

All hail the new Oligarchy!

It’s still a long ways away from election day.

It would be interesting to know what percent of New Yorkers said they would not vote for her if she were to run for Senator before that run began.

That was a weird election. Guiliani dropped out, and her new opponent was an idiot.

But she was really good at going after the upstaters, and in the end that’s what won it for her.

I’m guessing that she’ll use a similar triangulation technique if she gets the nomination, making a heavy push for the West or somesuch.

I agree. But I bet there were high percentages of people (depending on the polls) frothing about how they would absolutely not vote for Hillary.

I suppose it is just another way of saying that it is early. We’ll see how many stick to their guns on that position once more time has expired.

I realize you’re trying to be funny, but the poll was not nearly that simple. I think Hillary’s electability to the general populace is a real issue. The best thing someone can say for her in this thread is they are looking forward to Bill. One of the only ways the Democrats can blow this election is by nominating Hillary who has strong negatives rather than someone neutral like Obama or Edwards.