Halo coming to Paramount+

I am probably a big dummy but it wasn’t until this show came out that I realized Liev and Pablo were brothers.

Liev is his half-brother so it’s not that far off. :P

My naming error aside, what do folks think of this weeks episode?

Haven’t seen it yet! Have to get back to you.

I watch on Fridays when the Let’s Player I am watching play Halo games drops episodes.

OK, I watched the episode, and yeah I think it’s a pretty good one. It’s still interesting to me to see where the show adheres to established Halo universe canon and where it deviates to make its own story. The business with the flash clones is accurate, but I find it actually makes a bit more sense that the Spartans wouldn’t know about this, as they do in the games. Why wouldn’t they be curious about their families? I guess that’s probably covered in one of the novels, which I haven’t read.

Also, regarding the end of the episode: I almost forgot why the show is called Halo. I do wonder if they’re going to keep the entire reason the Halos even exist, which would indicate that the Flood should be making an appearance at some point. Guessing not this season though.

Excellent episode. John’s confrontation with Halsey was fantastic. The way they have been playing this, I was curious how they were going to show Halo and if we would see it before the last episode. Well, we got a hint but with 3 episodes left I am guessing that if they actually get onto Halo it will be mostly as a cliffhanger for season 2.

I have to say, watching this after watching Picard was a bit jarring. I am really enjoying Halo but Picard? Man, what a shitshow that has become. Here’s a clue for you Paramount. If you’re are going to do a space adventure sci fi show, locking it on contemporary Earth and making it a retrospective mind trip is not the way to do it.

The positive impressions here certainly help in prodding me to finally give this a chance. For some reason I still don’t feel the appeal of watching a show based on Halo. The reason I love Halo is because of gameplay mechanics, and the level design and enemy design and weapon design. Not the story. But I need to put that aside and just watch the show.

I need to see the whole season to get a feel for how good it is, but it’s definitely better than I expected. I’m still in a bit of shock that it’s not just some dumb video game show, like that Doom movie with the Scorpion King and Eomer.

I thought the episode was more or less comparable with the other episodes (which I’ve liked, but not loved), except this one had no Rebel Girl, so that was a big win. Plus the end of the episode kind of hints that we’re going to be moving the main plot forward in a big way soon?

I guess my expectations were too high, as I’d seen a bunch of people claiming that this episodes was way better than previous episodes and people I’d seen previously unhappy with the show seemed to be pretty happy with this episode — mostly based on video titles and title screens which YouTube shoved into my “Recommended” feed.

Also what was the deal with Halsey and Miranda meeting or is that something that’s going to play out later? I thought perhaps Halsey had copied Miranda’s retinal eye pattern, but that didn’t seem to play out later in the episode, and I noticed that the lab was locked by fingerprints (or at least Master Chief had his hand scanned to get in at least one secure door).

So let’s lead off with the bad news: it’s a Kwan Ha episode. But it’s pretty good! Kind of a slow start but ends with a bang. And we’re getting a little more development on how she, her family and Madrigal in general fit into the whole Halo thing.

Like, the entire episode?

I hope not bc I have too much bad will towards that character and plot line to watch. I don’t even care if it’s objectively good. I hate the character and hate the plot line, full stop.

I am a bad angry and stubborn man.

Yeah, it’s all Kwan all the time. And some Soren. And a little bit of Master Chief. Kinda.

I’m not a fan either, but it seems like it’s going to converge with MC’s story, so you may want to keep up. It’s also a good episode in general, even if you don’t like the Kwan character. Though I have to admit, as much as I rolled my eyes at this being her story, you seem to be on another level with your angry man hatred at her, so maybe you could just read a post-episode synopsis or something.

My biggest beef is did Soren go back to his asteroid without a ship, somehow? And then run a heist and then go BACK to Madrigal all in the span of… uh… a day? Or something? Maybe I missed something?

They do seem to play fast and loose with travel times, but then a lot of SF does.

No disagreement here - it’s just that this felt especially egregious to me. I even thought it was a flashback for a bit there. Well, what can you do? Not a big deal, just something that stuck out at me.

The timeline was definitely a little unclear there with Soren. Until that guy, Squirrel I think, referenced the girl and the bounty I thought it might even be a dream sequence or hallucination for a moment.

This is me as well, I was sort of thinking it was a flashback and we’d come back to him waking up in the sand having passed out or something. Super strange to have him just back, and then later decide to go back once again. I actually have a lot of questions about this entire story and Soren and his motives, they seem to flip and flop like fish trying to get back to the water, but mostly I’m curious about his mutated/deformed arm that is never referenced. Is this a video game thing? I have only seen Halo played a bit when my son was into it as a kid, and he only did multiplayer.

Soren made some reference about how Spartan training cost him an arm or something like that (going from memory, I may be getting that wrong) back when they showed the flashback of Soren escaping and trying to talk John into going with him, but I don’t think it’s really been talked about since. I don’t recall Soren being in any of the games. It’s possible he may have been in the books but I think Soren is a creation for the show.

Now that you mention it, that rings a bell. I remember being confused as he seemed to have two arms - but it was only I think the previous Soren/Kwan episode that I really noticed it. This episode in particular he is using his deformed hand to reload his gun and it’s more evident. I actually kind of like that no one brings it up, and if he’s a new character for the show that’s kind of a neat little bit of mystery.