Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

New trailer is up. I snagged it.

Here it is.

That looked great. Almost like too much stuff for a single movie.

Troy

that looks swell.

I have yet to be dissapointed by a potter movie.

Goblet of Fire is probably the best book of the series, as well. And that trailer looks fantastic, so I know my wife will be insistent on seeing this one on day one.

I felt Goblet of Fire was damn weak as a book compared to Prisoner of Azkaban, but it did have the only moment in a Harry Potter book where I actually cheered a little - “Accio Firebolt!”

I felt the opposite. I loved Prisoner but Goblet of Fire is easily my favorite.

I have yet to be entertained by a Harry Potter movie. The first two are actually excellent insomia cures for me.

Are you saying thas a fan of the books, or someone who thinks all things Potter are unentertaining?

It should be 4 hours long.

Mike Newell is directing, which means it isn’t Alfonso Cuaron, but at least it isn’t Chris Columbus.

Anyone who directed Donnie Brasko can’t be all bad.

IMDB clocks it at 150 minutes.

Troy

I am a fan of the books. My impression is that the movies have tended to try to cram too many events from the books into 120-150 minutes at the expense of the actual plots and relationships.

I am a fan of the books. My impression is that the movies have tended to try to cram too many events from the books into 120-150 minutes at the expense of the actual plots and relationships.[/quote]

The first two were like this, but the last one was much much better. Did you see Prisoner? Head and shoulders above the others.

It really is a better film, not only because it’s built on better source material, but because it’s more tightly plotted (as is the book), has a better director (his crazy “Bush = Lord Voldemort” political interviews aside) and has a much, much, much better Humbledore. I just hated the character actor they picked to pay Pettigrew.

I did, and I agree, POA was heads and shoulders above the others. That, however, doesn’t mean I was entertained by it either, but at least it doesn’t put me to sleep. I’d agree with Crypt that the source material and the director have a lot to do with that.

I read somewhere that WB had planned to make Goblet a 2-part movie, but that the director talked them out of it. I think having it as a 2-parter would be good, myself. One of the risks they are running with the thinned-down plot elements in an uncomoleted series is that things which are ignored now might become important later. With the actors growing an inch or two per film, flashbacks could end up being problematical.

I just finished listening to GOF on CD and I see no reason it couldn’t be 2 hours in a movie. There is a ton of fluffy and stuff which could (and should) be dumped.

Quite honestly the whole Quiditch World Cup could be dumped. Nothing happens which couldn’t be explained easily. They can dump the whole S.P.E.W. thing, and while it is enteratining they could drop the whole Rita Sketter sub-plot. None of those things really carry into the next two books so unless those events or people become vital in the last book (say Rita has a huge roll or their is a House elf revolution led by Dobbie) they can be dumped.

Of course no one wants to make that tough choice so the movies just try to cram in ever scene from the books.

I’ve always thought GoF was the most bloated and undisciplined of the books. Not that the subplots aren’t interesting in their own rights, but they are mostly disposable.

But Rita Skeeter and the World Cup are in the movie, so I am hoping that they move these along quite quickly so we can get to the big plot stuff. I hope that Cedric is fleshed out a little more in the movie. I never got a good grip on him as a character in the book so his death didn’t have the weight that I thought it should.

Troy

I don’t see a way to leave out the World Cup business entirely. That sequence introduces half the new characters in the book (Bagman, Crouch, Krum, Winky) as well as the Dark Mark. It is also the setup for the major payoff at the end.

I imagine that they can use Rita Skeeter as window-dressing. She’s a fun character and she mostly shows up in scenes that would be needed for other reasons anyways.

I seem to remember reading that SPEW is indeed gone, and just as well. Now if only they could skip all but the last five chapters of Order of the Phoenix and go straight into Half-Blood Prince…

Anyways, the new trailer looks awesome. Can’t wait for November!