Has anyone changed their default (device) search engine on an Android phone?

I have a Pixel 5a with 5G and for the life of me can’t figure how it’s done. I’m all updated to Android 14, too, my default browser is Firefox, its default search is DuckDuckGo, which is what I’d like to change the system level search to.

I think if you open chrome and change the default search engine in there, it will change the default system search engine.

If by system level search you mean the search bar on the home screen, in Nova Launcher it’s in the settings for the bar. Same for the app drawer search. Not sure if you can change it in Pixel Launcher.

Alas, changing the default search engine in Chrome doesn’t seem to change it for the device (on the home screen).

It seems to be right at the top of the Firefox settings for me. Pixel 8.

I have changed the default for Firefox, and it works fine if I open Firefox, open a new tab then search but it doesn’t change the default search on the home screen-- it remains Google because I still see a big G there.

That’s the Google app, of course it’s going to show a G.

This has come up in Google’s antitrust trial! Their executives say it’s quite easy to change, and we’re all dummies.

Google says you can delete home screen search in two taps

NY Times says that’s BS depending on your phone

Like I say, install Nova Launcher, you can change it to whatever you like.