Has Microsoft become the good guys?

Why, has there been some major shift in GUI design that no longer says all major functionality should have an associated button?

I use the save button in Office, several game and most applications that are not Google based, or not online.

Yes, with the proliferation of disk space, there’s no reason that Word and every Office app shouldn’t be continually saving your progress with the ability to go back infinitely. Just like the apps do on Office 365.

Okay, so what you actually meant was you can’t believe Word still has user-controlled saving.

To which I say, anything who thinks Office on local storage should have automatic saving can fuck right off. Until Windows has a versioning file system by default, that sort of nonsense will inevitably do more harm than good. The user should decide when to commit the document in its current state to permanent storage, vs just clobbering your only copy as you go with whatever cat-on-keyboard garbage happens to be in RAM at the moment.

This seems like a good a thread as any. A couple weeks ago i got a proxy vote letter for the Microsoft shareholders meeting and I was really surprised to see that the board recommended voting against shareholder proposals such as reports on median pay gaps across race and gender and effectiveness of workplace sexual harrassment policies. All of these proposals seem to make really good sense to me. Are they all being recommended to be voted against because “this is something that is going to cost us money”?
I typically ignore these proxy vote things but this has got my hackles up enough that I think I’ll actually vote this time.

It might get employees to get uppity and ask about fair share.

Yeah, I’m voting for all of those. That’s all just openness.

And yeah, I usually don’t vote my shares either. But these proposals are good for the employees, and in the end, good for the company.

Lol I am sure the board would argue they are transparent enough in their published diversity and inclusion policies and various internal back-patting reports to bother them with additional auditing requirements! All while recommending compensation increases of course.

I just popped in to see if the title of this thread was meant to be ironic.

I’m not sure if it was ironic or not but I am curious if Microsoft has dementia?

We should tie it to a chair and see what happens.

Good luck getting a chair with all these supply chain issues.

Then just drill holes in it.