Has my power supply died or is it something else.

I’m replacing my video card and I started to remove it on Tuesday, but had to stop. The old card wasn’t removed so I just hooked the cables back up and went and did something else for a few hours. When I came back and tried to start the computer nothing happened. I looked at the psu and cpu fan and they did a half turn then nothing. Googling I found that if I unplugged my motherboard and cpu power connectors waited a few seconds then plug them back in it might fix the problem. I did that and it worked, the computer started up fine and worked just fine.

Today I had the time to actually replace the card and after replacing I started the computer up and got an error message about a system disk was missing. Turned the computer off and made sure all drives were connected correctly and restarted. got the same thing as described above. This time the unplugging and plugging in the motherboard and cpu power connectors didn’t help this time. Tried it several times. I even put my old card back in in case the new card was bad, still nothing. I reset the cmos using the jumper switch and by removing the battery. Nothing works. I’m hoping that there may be a trick that you guys might know that I haven’t tried. The led lights on my vid card and mb are lit so I’m getting some power to the board. The psu is 6 years old ,but there was absolutely no sound from the psu or any smell either. The psu is a 1200 watt model and ran a amd 9370 with an nvidia 980 for three years before I replaced the amd with a intel i7 - 7700k about a month an a half ago.

Any idea’s?

Thanks

Never a bad idea to replace an old PSU if power-related things are going wonky.

Upgrade to 80 plus platinum or titanium while you are at it, and you don’t need even 600 watts, unless you are running multiple GPUs.

Yea I’m thinking that’s what I will have to do, but wanted to see if there is anything else I could try.

The only alternative is that it could be a dying motherboard problem. Try the PSU first though as it is cheaper and easier to replace.

I don’t think it’s the motherboard just replaced it about 1 1/2 months ago and has been rock solid until this week.

Hmmm my laptop just died.

Luckily it’s under warranty (6 weeks left lol).

Sadly it’s Dell and their service didn’t impress me last time. Guess my docs are all gone (the most important are backed up anyway).

@Demorve, did you ever resolve your issue?

Not yet, got a new psu coming tomorrow. Will install when I have the time.

Actually found the time to install the new psu and my desktop fired right up. Guess it was my psu after all.

It usually is