Having cancer

Tom;

Thank you for that - I find it interesting, and if it helps you, absolutely go for it!

Kemper;

It’s interesting to hear your perspective on memory issues as someone who hasn’t always had them. I’m dyslexic, and my short-term memory has always been terrible, but…it just doesn’t bother you when it’s, well, you. You learn memorisation methods (to stuff key facts into long-term memory), and to scribble down where you park, and to make sure you have the shopping list, and to put things back every time or you’ll have to search the room for them. (My routine trick is putting a drink down and forgetting I ever had one)

Thanks for sharing! On top of the affecting story, it was completely fascinating. I didn’t know they did a CAT scan just for alignment, I find that pretty impressive, not to mention comforting. The triggered sight and sound from the treatment was also unknown to me and just a great, interesting detail that you elaborated wonderfully on.

I look forward to seeing whether Melinda or Na will win our intrepid hero’s affections, or whether a dark horse contender will win out in the end! Wait, this is a soap opera, right?

Seriously though Tom, wonderfully written, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

I’m very sorry to read about your symptoms and side-effects, the more so because the account is so well-written. I think there’s little I can do except to let you know that another person has read your post and hopes the treatment will be successful.

It’s all for naught, says the voice that used to tell me I need to move, to turn my head, to sit up. It’s all for naught and when this is done, you will be as you were before. That voice is going to take longer to stifle.

Please tell this voice that you are going to be fine when this is all over. And we are going to do the “I told you so” dance right in its fucking face.

A great/tough read, Tom.

Of course not, especially when the writing is of such high caliber. I hate that you’re going through this, but your telling of the tale is top-notch.

I’d also welcome anyone else’s stories. I know I’m not the only one who’s dealing with this, or has dealt with it, or been close to someone who’s dealt with it. I’d love to hear from some of you as well.

-Tom

My story is bland by comparison, but here it is anyway:

I was diagnosed with my first skin cancer when I was just 30, a mild basal cell tumor, and my dermatologist emphasized how vulnerable to UV I must be in order to get one at such a young age. The many cancers and pre-cancerous lesions I subsequently developed proved the accuracy of his assessment. None of them were melanoma, the most aggressive and dangerous skin cancer, but their number and the rate at which they were popping up were alarming.

My dermatologists all recommended that I avoid the sun as much as possible–that I should run errands after dark, curtail or eliminate outdoor sports like hiking, and never even think about hanging out by a pool during the day. On the rare occasions I had to spend more than a few seconds in the sun, I wore a sunscreen and hat, but it would always be better for me to avoid exposure altogether. These were difficult adjustments. My wife and I both loved hiking, for example, especially in the mountains, but the UV intensity at high elevations is even greater due to the thinner atmosphere and I couldn’t stand the exposure. In fact, my years of hiking in Colorado were probably a big contributor to my problem. The combination of high altitude UV with my vulnerable makeup had been too much for my poor skin.

Giving hiking up almost entirely was incredibly hard, and I’ve never entirely reconciled myself to it. Still, my third cancer, a more aggressive squamous tumor, had popped up on my upper chest just a few months after we moved to Phoenix in early 2000. After two surgeries to remove it, my Arizona dermatologist, a very caring and likable man named Dr. Lines, recommended a preventative chemotherapy course with 5-fluorouracil cream. I would apply this cream to my face, upper torso, and arms, the areas that normally get the most sun exposure and thus develop the most cancers. Like all chemotherapeutic agents, 5-fluorouracil works by killing rapidly dividing cells, and any microscopic cancers and pre-cancerous lesions hiding in my skin would be vulnerable to its effects.

I was supposed to use the cream for two weeks. During that time, my lower arms and hands didn’t react at all. However, my upper torso turned red and began to hurt in a very recognizable pattern. Prior to my first cancer diagnosis, I’d been very fond of tank tops, and the areas they hadn’t protected from the sun all flared up. From the neck down, I looked like I’d gotten a sunburn while wearing one, except that of course this “burn” was the result of the chemo killing sun-damaged cells.

The cream’s effects on my face were far worse. For the first two days, nothing happened. On the third day, redness appeared everywhere, accompanied by stabbing pains. By the end of the first week, my entire face was a black, crusty, bleeding scab. The pain was so intense that I couldn’t do anything but sit in a recliner with an icepack, trying unsuccessfully to distract myself with the TV. An attempt to entertain myself with Diablo 2 failed when water dripping from the ice pack shorted out my keyboard. It’s just as well. Trying to play an action RPG one-handed wasn’t working out.

By the eleventh day, the pain had grown too intense for me to bear any longer. I went back to Dr. Lines, who took one look at me and told me I should stop. He’d never seen such an intense reaction to 5-fluorouracil. Over the course of the next couple weeks, my scabs slowly fell off in the form of black, dandruff-like flakes that I shed everywhere. The skin beneath was baby-smooth and clear, however, and my dermatologist and I both hoped that the agony I’d endured would prevent future, more dangerous cancers by killing them before they began.

To a degree, the treatment has worked. I’ve only had two subsequent cancers, and both were easily removed. I still avoid the sun like the mutagenic plague it is, though.

Tom, that was absolutely gorgeously written. I will add my voice to everyone else who has already said what I feel – That this is sad to hear, that I hope you kick it’s ass, that I am one of many people you have never met who will be thinking of you and pulling for you.

I find myself going somewhere else when I have to sit through procedures. Kind of an astral projection kind of thing, except I understand it’s all mental and not really going anywhere. One of thiose relaxation kind of things they talk about in stress reduction courses - it helped keep me on an even keel when I just want to run out screaming that I can’t take another second. Anyway, some kind of stress reduction therapy might help you deal with the ordeal and make it easier to get though the treatment. Wish I could give you something more substantial than that, but it helped me through a difficult time when I wasn’t sure I was going to ever truly recover.

I don’t/can’t read this, just makes me sad. Just know you’re not alone and you have a lot of people rooting for you.

Tom,

Thank you so much for writing this. It was painfully humbling for me to read. I sit on the other side of this experience, and have done what some might consider some pretty barbaric surgery on people to remove their cancer. Sometimes we win and kick the cancer’s ass. Other times, we don’t, but still push on and treat, treat, treat. There are days (like just this morning) I have to tell someone I can’t actually remove their cancer, for it is too advance, or widely spread, or adherent to structures we just can’t remove. It sucks with a degree of suckiness that I just can’t even explain to tell someone that. And so we compartmentalize, we make things clinical, we (not always, but occasionally) forget the human being on the other side of it. We forget that, no matter how much I hate telling someone I can’t cure them, they hate hearing that even more. To try to “protect” ourselves, we remove too much of the human. I am sure I echo the thoughts of many of my medical colleagues when I thank you for sharing this. It is so important for us to vividly and painfully remember and connect with the human being on the other side of the diagnosis. I don’t have else to offer but a sincere appreciation for what you have created at this site, and even more appreciation for letting us be part of this struggle. We truly are there for you however we can be.

Thank you for that post, Peter.

-xtien

Hi Tom, I like many others on this forum really appreciate all the work you’ve done over the years in creating the sense of a community at Qt3 and also your thoughtful writing on games and movies. You have alot of goodwill stored up on many corners of the globe, and while few of us are around to help you personally you should know that what happens to you does matter even to people you’ve never met (like me). I also really appreciate that you are being so transparent in sharing the experiences associated with the condition. When things get more challenging, please hold fast to hope. No matter how hard things become there is always hope of things improving. Keep up the fight and if you feel like sharing again, please do.

Thank you for writing this Tom. It was tough but beautiful.

I lost my cousin and godmother to breast cancer, which spread to her brain, about a year ago. I won’t go into details as it’ll probably just devolve into me yelling at the universe about fairness but a puffy face, a croaky voice and a lot of pain couldn’t destroy who she was and what she meant to people.

My best wishes are with you.

Tom,
The claustrophobia thing is something I’ve never gotten over. I have the same two voices. The scientific side keeps going through the processes, technology, and functions to try and drive home the cat scans, MRI’s, the radiation, RA- dyes, and other things they do to my liver and pancrease while within should induce no mental reaction. I was fine with stuff like that until things got bad with my health a decade ago, and then the feeling of losing control of ones body overwhelmed the analytical.

No matter how much I try to reason with the scared side of my psyche, I’ve not been able to do those procedures without the help of Ativan for years now. So the reason fr my post and response it to tell you that what you’ve accomplished mentally, in no longer needing Atavin and overcoming the claustrophobia, is nothing sort of amazing. You’ve inspired me, given me hope, that maybe I can do the same. Hope you feel the humanity hugs going out to you.

That was a fine post, Tom. Now whenever I see your name I’ll think of the smell of cap guns (which is a good thing: it comes with a hot sultry July night with fireflies and music and fireworks.)

This forum is filled with such amazing folks that have overcome so much. Thank you for sharing.

Tom, keep writing and know that you have an army behind you rooting for you all the way.

Tom, that was a terrifically vivid piece of writing. Sometimes the strongest voice we have is the one that comes from a pen. Or typewriter. Well, not that you could find a typewriter these days. A word processor, then.

You know what I mean.

Keep writing about your experiences. You and everyone who reads about them will benefit.

I lost my dad to lung cancer in May of 2012. Mother’s day.

Don’t ever smoke. Never, ever.

Thanks so very much for posting this, Tom.