HBO to Tackle A Song of Ice and Fire!

Most parts of Rome were pretty squalid and cramped, and a lot of the impressive buildings and monuments weren’t set up until after the end of the Republic. Augustus is supposed to have said that he found Rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble.

Anyway, I hope they spend the budget on good props and costumes and convincing sets rather than blowing it on big battle scenes and the like. HBO shows generally look very good, though, so I’m not too worried. I’m more concerned that they won’t be able to make it convincing; making a believable fantasy show has to be a daunting task, even for HBO.

Are you shitting me? “Supposed to be” when and and according to whom? Their Rome set design was pitch perfect, as opposed to many of their other decision. Particularly with the contrast between classes, I felt they nailed the feel.

I wonder if they’ll even bother with that, though. They’ve clearly shied away from making Tyrion as hideous as he’s supposed to by hiring Little People Magazine’s Sexiest Little Man of the Year for 2008.

Sigh, I guess my ignorance of Historical Rome is showing. Either way, it was distracting for me watching the show, since I couldn’t help but think of those places as sets for drama, rather than an actual city.

We don’t know if they’re doing any makeup on him. At least they didn’t go with Verne Troyer.

Winter-is-Coming is saying an inside source is telling him Sean Bean is Eddard Stark.

Plus, this isn’t Winter-is-Coming, but rumors are buzzing Gillian Anderson as Catelyn.

Take a look at the borders of ancient Rome as compared to its size today, and then place a million or so people into that area with no proper drainage, horrible housing conditions (frequent fires) and 95% of the population living beneath what we would consider the poverty line today. Voila, Rome.

Hope I didn’t miss this info somewhere upthread, but anyone have an idea when this will actually hit our screens? (guessing Sept 2010)

They are now just beginning to produce a pilot which they hope will please the executives and hopefully result in a full season.

Thanks!
Thought they’d already received their first season order… Here’s hoping it’ll survive the screening process.

I can definitely see Sean Bean as Ned. That’d definitely add more legitimacy to the whole project too. Can’t wait to see how the pilot turns out…

It’s official: Sean Bean is Ned Stark.

Reuters broke the story just now, and Martin has confirmed it on his web site.

Mark Addy is King Robert.

Kit Harrington is Jon Snow

Harry Lloyd is Viserys

Jack Gleeson is Joffrey

Oh. Fuck. Yes.

Neat, that’s a good bit of casting for Ned, imo.

I always imagined Ned having sharper features than Bean. How are they going to make Mark Addy look fearsome? Sure, Robert grows soft, but you should be able to see the badass warrior underneath. Harry Lloyd seems alright, but haven’t found any current pics for Gleeson and Harrington.

Of course, I’m judging just on looks alone. I have no idea of their acting capacity (except Bean).

I was so hoping for Brian Blessed.

Not my first choice for Jon Snow, but I’m sure her audition really wowed the producers.

You obviously grabbed the wrong picture. The real Jon Snow:

Jennifer Ehle is Catelyn Stark!!! I loved her in Possession and Pride and Prejudice (sans zombies). She’s got two Tony Awards and a BAFTA, so she’s got the talent. And her mom is Aunt May, too!

Was going to post the same thing. I reckon 71’s a bit old though. ;-)

I hope to god he doesn’t mean what I think he means… but you know… if it’ll help ADWD come sooner, who’s going to take one for the team?