HDMI Port Not Working on Panasonic Plasma HDTV

Oh, I know not of the Sbarros story. I remember quite a bit otherwise though considering this all happened like a decade ago.

Oh, I totally remembered his name. I used Sbarros as a reference without having to write the name. It’s pretty common and hard to google, but it’s still not cool if it’s a real name.

So I got a splitter with 5 HDMI ports that arrives tomorrow. Ugh.

Is it 4k capable? I think hdcp necessitated an update to the hdmi spec but I haven’t researched it yet.

Some HDMI switchers may have an autoswitch feature you may find useful - it automatically switches sources when you power the device on.

Not sure how well it works, but may save you some annoyances.

Doesn’t look like it does 4K, but it does apparently auto switch.

Monoprice makes good HDMI switchers as well. Might want to stick with a popular brand in case you ever invest in a Harmony remote (more likely to be compatible). I have no experience with auto-switching HDMI… probably wouldn’t work in my house since I have devices that are always pushing a video signal… so I would rely on my Harmony remote to switch HDMI ports. YMMV.

Be sure to get a powered switcher. Unpowered ones are garbage.

Oh yeah, this is totally powered.

As long as the thing has an infra remote you can program your Harmony to control it. Just maybe not as easily as one that is already programmed in their system.

Had 2 of the 3 ports of my HDMI go out on my Panasonic Plasma TC-P50U1. Most posts online stated to get the main motherboard replaced or rebuilt. I decided to do a factory reset on my TV after taking pictures of my TV picture settings since I had my calibrated when I bought it. All three HDMI ports work without spending any money.

To reset TV:

1. Note all picture settings to keep picture calibration and other user settings [Take picture or write down settings for all picture formats]
  2. Turn on TV and Press and hold MENU button on TV remote and VOL- button on side of TV
  3. Press and hold the POWER button on the TV until it powers off
  4. TV will power on and off until a Blue screen appears as it was reset to the factory state and ready for setup

To EXIT: Unplug TV from the Wall

That’s goood to know, since I have one of the HDMI ports on my Panny Plasma TV not working currently. Thanks!

I just wanted to quote this text. That is all.

Is that the same one that wasn’t working when you started this thread 3 years ago?

Hah, why yes it is.

Nice guy, joined just to share obscure solution to problem.