Headphone amp / Reddit advice needed

I just signed up for Reddit and posted for the first time ever in r/HeadphoneAdvice and my post wouldn’t go through. What the heck?? Here’s what I posted. Any tips on my audio setup or HTF to use Reddit are welcome! :)

Many subreddits have a rule about starting a new thread for brand new accounts. You either have to wait 7 days usually, or start posting replies in other threads to get your karma count up.

Build yourself a nice CMoy or A47 headphone amplifier.

This is what’s happening. Sometimes it’s only 3 days.

I just noticed the content of your post…good god, man. Them’s some high-priced fuckin’ cans!

I can’t afford anything like that, but the xDuoo tube amp I got off of Drop is running my favorite headphones (Meze 109’s, for the record) like a champ. Like $500, but clearly you can afford it!

Yeah, mega-stupid impulse purchase but life is short! I’ll check out that xDuoo tube amp. Those look cool. Thanks!

I was heading out the door when I posted this earlier so I didn’t notice but I actually got an email from reddit telling me the problem with my post…

This submission was removed as it included “Fosi”, a brand that is in conflict with /r/HeadphoneAdvice rules against affiliate/guerilla marketing.

So I guess I can edit that word out and try again.

Any idea if I’m on the right track with that turntable cartridge being old? Is that what would happen if it started to fail on me? It kinda makes sense if it was already happening and then the better headphones led me to hear the problem for the first time.

EDIT: Just did a little more research and it sounds like I should get up to 2,000 hours out of that stylus so maybe that’s not the issue. Could it be the Denon receiver? I’m surprised the ambient albums are going crunchy.

On the headphone amp front, I just got an email that they have the Magni+ headphone amp on clearance for $69. I paid double that for mine a few years ago, and it’s an excellent amp.

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus

This was the link Schitt included on the design on the amp:

Av Forums are the place to get advice from, superb set of forums there.

AV Forums

AV Forums is good.

Also, https://www.head-fi.org/

I haven’t been on either in years, so not sure about now, but those were really active communites with lots of useful info.

And I will second that OUCH on the HD 800 price tag! I stopped at the HD600. I’ve been using them with two old LG phones (V20 and V30) which have built-in amps (and micro SD slots) that I just use for music.

Reddit is generally a terrible place to ask for advice, as they often have really weird rules and very insular communities not interested in helping out anyone.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I realize I should try somewhere other than reddit. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea.

I figured I’ve been driving the same hand-me-down car since 2012 and I’ve been wearing the same Swiss Army watch since the late 90’s but I could maybe splurge on something luxurious for my ears. But then (predictably) a hint of buyer’s remorse crept up on me last night. The headphones sound great but I suspect I could return them and pick up something else that would also sound great at around 1/3 the price. Maybe the HD 600 series would be the way to go. I’ll give them a bit more time and see how I feel.

Mostly I want to see what I can do about my receiver which has a bit of hum coming through when I turn the volume up into the louder ranges. Plus that crunchy sound coming through on a few albums seems wrong.

I ordered a Magni+ (thanks, Editer!) which will arrive this afternoon. Amazon just opened a distribution center very close by so our shipping times are kind of insane. Now when I start going down an impulse purchase audiophile rabbit hole, the orders can frequently be delivered LATER TODAY. One-day shipping is so 2023.