Headphone recommendations?

Random curiosity - why are semi-open headphones not more common? I bought a (cheap) set a while back and enjoy them so much more than closed. I realize this might be because I’m in the very cheap side of headphones, but closed will make me feel too “in my head” after a while whereas I can now go for much longer before fatigue sets in.

If i needed a new set, I’d get this again and add a mic.

Can vouch for this setup.

Open or partially open headphones are not as popular, I guess, because isolation is so valued. Noise reduction tech is touted a lot these days.

But yeah, wired open back headphones can be pretty awesome. Audiophiles love the “soundstage” they produce, which is another way of describing 3D sound that has nothing to do with specifically 3D audio technologies.

And open backs keep your ears cooler. It is known.

EPOS I Sennheiser GAME ONE Gaming Headset, Open Acoustic, Noise-canceling mic, Flip-To-Mute, XXL plush velvet ear pads, compatible with PC, Mac, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Smartphone - Black (506080) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KK8ZLEC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_97TR41M263DR6FB70WAG

Very similar to an old model I used years ago. Open back, super comfortable and not insanely expensive.

Another highly reviewed Sennheiser set on sale right now. Wired though.

Always loved the open back Sennheiser sets. Super light and comfortable. I still use my ancient one for my ps5 if I want headphone sound.

Currently using the HD-599 since I have a separate mic.

Corsair Virtuoso are the only wireless headphones I’ve owned that have been a frustration free wireless experience, and I tried a fair few.

They’re also neat in the fact that they can be optionally wired via USB or 3.5mm for (marginally) better sound quality, if that’s important. 7.1 is great for gaming too. My only criticism is I do miss active noise cancelling present on other wireless headphone models. $250ish, though. If that’s too much, my buying advice is to stick to wired.

RGB.

Headphones.

Those of us with ears behind our eyes are awake, but we are very confused.

I own these. Picked them up a year ago and still think they’re great, despite paying the undiscounted price last October. When the PC38x was released, they discounted the DROP PC37x to $116, so maybe they’re due for an annual refresh.

I did own a Corsair Void RGB wireless pair. They actually worked reliably, but I eventually picked up a Soundblaster X3 USB DAC/Amp and made the switch to wired.

I got rid of my Senn HD600’s a while back because of it. I otherwise loved the headphones but if somebody else is in the same room as you, or even a room over with an open door, it’s not really an option, whether because you are annoying them or they are annoying you.

My Arctis Pro Wireless are OK. They actually just broke after 2? years of use. Where the arm fits into the can it has a friction fit with a tiny little metal circle clasp that holds it in. The plastic the metal clasp rests on broke for me. This guy here had a very similar issue, but instead of the plastic breaking inside for him, the entire outside looks like it collapsed. I was able to design and 3D print a tiny piece of plastic thats fits very well into the broken area, taking into account the specific fracture line and curvature of the headphone case. It’s held in place by the PCB board that screws in above it. So far it’s been working great for a couple of months.

Other things I don’t like is they don’t get very loud, even when disabling their limiter. This probably isn’t a bad thing. They also take like 4+ seconds to turn on by holding a button down. I find this irrationally annoying. The last negative is I have to swap the batteries every day, but it does mean I can always continuously use the headphones for as long as I want. A fresh battery is always available.

Wireless wise I don’t see anything better out there currently, which is why I went to so much trouble to repair them.

This is all great stuff; quick question for those who may know; it seems like any set that’s wired via 3.55mm doesn’t use surround sound. Is that a limitation of the connection?

Headphone jacks as I understand them literally have two channels to transmit analog information on, so I suspect that absent some crazy switching inside the unit I dunno how you’d accomplish it.

However, virtual surround sound works over 3.5mm – Atmos for Headphones on the Xbox/Windows, etc.

I’ve been reviewing headsets lately and my favorite gaming headset is the Creative SXFi Air Gamer. $149, works with USB C on PCs (zero latency), Bluetooth 5.0, and 3.5mm jack. (I use the latter for Xbox Series X.) Has a good hardware based virtual surround sound mode, really good bass, and ties for the best microphone I’ve tested.

I’m pretty well set at the moment but good to see that positive review. I dig the SXFi stuff since I bought their USB DAC, but if I ever pass down my current headset to my son, I might consider. One reason I bought the external USB solution was for an easy button toggle between headphones and speakers, but the reality is that I never use speakers.

I’m thinking of making the switch to headphones if the sound better than my current setup of:

It seems like software-based virtual positional audio is improving. I tried Dolby DTS Sound Unbound.

I also have a pair of HyperX Cloud 2 headphones (I don’t really use their virtual surround sound):

Do you guys think a good pair of headphones would improve game audio substantially over my current speakers and headphones? How much would I need to spend and any recommendations. It would be nice to keep under $200 if I can get a big improvement for that price. I don’t care about a microphone because I don’t game online. Also, I have my own space in the house, so it doesn’t matter too much if they are open or closed headphones. Also, I don’t have an amp.

I see the SENNHEISER HD have been recommended.Would these ones be good?

Wirecutter liked these Sony MDR-7506 too.

Are there better ones for under $200? How much more would I need to spend to get a significant step up?

Thanks!

Sennheiser HD 560 S Over-The-Ear Audiophile Headphones - Neutral Frequency Response, E.A.R. Technology for Wide Sound Field, Open-Back Earcups, Detachable Cable, (Black) (HD 560S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J9MVB6W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3PPV5Y14VPNH1DB7JA6H

Excellent for the money and I’ve always loved their open back sets.

Is the 560 S better than the HD 599 / HD 599 SE? From what I red it’s more a preference thing. It sounds like the 599s sound ‘warmer’ while the 560s have a wider soundstage (I’m snot 100% sure what that means but it seems like the sound isn’t as ‘close’ to your head? I guess the 560s are a new model too?

Would something like the 560s be a large upgrade over the HyperX II Clouds that I have? As you can see I don’t know much about this. Thanks!

I think any of the sennheiser sets would likely be better, but they are meant to be clear and accurate representation of sound rather than say most gaming or typical consumer sets that tend to have very unbalanced curves (that often pump up bass frequency as one example).

I have the hd598 and the hd599 would be pretty comparable and perhaps slightly better. They are good for everything and comfortable to wear for basically any amount of time.

So you aren’t going to go wrong with any of them, but it’s going to be very different than closed back headphones if that’s what you are used to. I much prefer that, but tastes vary.

Also the 599se still fits in the budget and has lower impedance than the 560s, so for mixed use is probably better if you aren’t going through a headphone amp or something.

These are still my go to at under $100, if you want open back non-ear-sweaty headphones.

Are they your favorite for under $200? I did read favorable things about thos.