Hearthstone - Blizzard's F2P Digital Card Game

Beautiful :)

all hail yogg our lord and master

p.s. by the way when I tried to post this in all-caps i was rejected; way to go caps nazis

So I randomly got a golden abusive sergeant out of a pack, went to disenchant it, and saw that it returned 400 dust! I was like ‘wtf dude’ until I remembered that card had just been nerfed.

Good times!

Since I don’t actually craft cards all that often, since the last nerf I’ve just been holding onto extra copies of cards on the off chance they’re nerfed in the future, and I can get full price. So I had like 10 abusive sergeants sitting around I redeemed for full dust.

I mean, it doesn’t make much difference, but still, a nice little bonus.

That is such a good idea. I have 12k dust sitting around and have been dusting in real-time after opening packs. Think I’ll start following suit and only dust if the card(s) get nerfed so I can get full dust, or if I really want to craft something and am short on the required dust.

Hah. I actually started holding extra cards back when one of the smaller expansions came out, because I was getting so many copies of the commons, I wanted to see just how many I could get. I recall getting 2 or 3 of the same card in the same pack, which I thought was absurd.

Unfortunately, it tops out at 9+, so it’s annoying to track after that.

The new nerfs are so great. For once Blizzard seems to have learned how to gently nerf a card instead of nuking it into oblivion.

I still miss the old Yogg though.

Hmm…

Mean Streets of Gadgetzan:

The obvious thing here, I guess, is the pseudo-class facrion cards, in that there are “neutral” cards that are only available to 3 classes.

It occurs to me how similar that is to the PvZ: Heroes deck building model. There’s clear advantages to that kind of approach.

No release date, but based on previous expansions, probably a couple of weeks. Personally, I’d like it to be live by Thanksgiving.

Word on the (Gadgetzan) street is early December. Looking forward to it!

My Battle.Net launcher broke today. Tried to start it, got an immediate “report to Blizzard” error window. In case anyone else has a similar issue in the future, here’s what I ended up doing. Poked around the Interweb a bit and found a suggestion to clear the cache.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/6141

Unfortunately, that article is out of date. I’m on Windows 10, and I had to go to two different spots and delete the Battle.Net folders:

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local
C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Roaming

Once I did that, I could start up the Battle.Net launcher again. I had to re-login and redo all my preferences, but at least it didn’t make me re-download Hearthstone.

Getting excited about this expansion. The new cards make sense and are introducing new play styles. Instead of just fitting in to existing decks, I see whole new deck types showing up that can be competitive.

We’ll see how it plays out, but for now, good job, Blizzard.

I hate the art, and I hate the themes. But I like the gameplay potential resulting from the card text and new mechanics.

The new set is out…but I’m not happy with the new dynamic. I thought the game needed to be slowed down a bit to get away from the aggro/control meta. Instead it has doubled down. I’m routinely finishing games in the 7 - 9 mana rounds. The exception is playing against Jade Statue/Taunt druids, which concentrate on just holding you at bay while they ramp jade statues in to the silly-zone.

So far, I’m disappointed. It’s too early to wave the white flag, but wow, I just don’t like the direction the set is sending the game.

So far, I agree, it seems pretty aggro-y, although there does seem to be a warrior taunt deck in rotation.

I think that the “buff cards in hand” mechanic was supposed to be a slow mechanic because you want to maximize the cards in hand. I think in practice, it actually skews towards faster decks, because +1 on a cheap minion is generally relatively more valuable than +1 on an expensive minion, where it’s either a smaller % gain, or where the attack/HP is almost irrelevant because of the minions other abilities.

There seem to be a lot of bad cards in this set, too, I guess deliberately so.

That said, I like the preset decks I was able to cobble together (with a few substitutions). I haven’t been able to build a demon deck I liked in a while, and the framework they gave for this one is good. I also needed a shaman deck for dailies, and the murloc one is pretty fun.

I’ve been having a lot of fun with Reno priest lately. But the stand-up so far is the modified Reno Lock deck. I don’t have a lot of the key legendary cards (Rags, for example), but I’ve still had a really good win-rate with it. It counters Jade Rogue and Jade Druid really well and is sturdy enough to out-last pirate warrior about half the time.

I have tried making a Hunter deck and it just fails miserably. There are so many board clears now, and hunter cards tend to be fragile, so it’s hard to keep any kind of presence on the field. The hunter “buff in hand” cards are better for smaller hands than the Paladin decks, but it also means that you essentially lose all your buff efforts when that single body gets hexed or otherwise removed.

Not liking where the new meta is going so far. We’ll see how it plays out over the next month or so. I have a feeling Warrior is the new auto-ban in tournaments, replacing the shaman auto-ban.

Speaking of shaman… mid-range shaman is still a beast, without any new cards. Until cards start to roll out of standard, they are going to remain in the top classes.

For card games in general, aggro usually is over-represented during the first few weeks after a new set release. Doubly so for Hearthstone, where the ladder favors decks that can play a lot of games quickly. Once the control and midrange lists start to get refined, they’ll start to pop back up, even if aggro remains dominant.