Hearts of Iron 4 announced

The final feature dev diary talks about the Custom AI feature rolling out. I like this a lot!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-ai-plans.1151821/

Going to be really fun being able to set up interesting scenarios like this and will hopefully avoid weirdness from the AI following blindly down focus paths.

I like the custom AI paths, they look like fine. I LOL to see that Landon is pursuing an America First policy. That really should add the option to have Lindburgh run for President.

I do not understand this argument at all.

It is stupid argument. I thought Paradox’s response was perfect, we provide lots of alternative history, most of which are controversial in their home country.

But seriously, I can’t comprehend being offended about the rise of 20th century Confederacy in game the prominently features, Nazi Germany, Fascist Japan, and the Soviet Union under Stalin. They all make the folks in the 19th century Confederacy look like amateurs in the evil department.

Polygon gonna Polygon.

Like +1

What’s this “founder edition”? Does Paradox do this for all its games.

I think they only did it for HOI4. They got a lot of backlash from people so they stopped doing it.

Basically, it was a Field Marshall edition that gave you access for the first 3 expansions or something like that. They later tacked on an extra expansion, if I remember correctly. Ended up being a really good deal.

That sounds about right. I almost never buy anything but basic editions of games, but I was heavy into EUIV at the time of the purchase decision on HOIV and decided to risk it. It’s turned out really well for me so far. I guess this will probably be the last DLC I benefit from it though.

It really should have been a no-brainer for me, I knew I was going to buy all the expansions anyway. I’m with you, though, I have a policy where I only buy standard editions and I think I just went with that out of habit/reflex. I’m still kicking myself, especially after they added the extra expansion. :)

Yeah I should have sprung for the Field Marshal edition way back when.

I stop doing that after getting burned with some game with a season pass. HOI III was such a marginal game for me that I was really reluctant to trust they’d do a good job with IV. I’m delighted to be proven wrong.

BTW, I asked the Expert AI guy on his support for MtG. He said it will be at least a week for him to come out with new version. Which in programmer time means at least 2 weeks right but hopefully not 2 months.

Okay kids, we’re just over a week out for release and Podcat has put together a (massive) overview of what’s coming in the Man the Guns.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-man-the-guns-mega-recap.1154415/

Grab a coffee and a snack because it’s long.

It’s quite impressive to see all the changes in one post like that.

Man the Changelog! That is a crazy amount of stuff, really glad I got the season pass on release.

Will you guys just stop rubbing it in?

Patch log is out

Also some impressions from pre-release streams sound good? I haven’t had time to actually watch these…

e.g.

From what I have seen so far. People are having an extremely hard time adapting the new naval combat.

Because

• People were so used to create death stacks
  • Players have their mindset about certain ship types do a single certain thing
  • Submarines weren’t creating any tension
  • Spotting wasn’t a problem
  • No fuel

But now the players have to adapt these things

• Naval superiority is serious as land combat and a full-time task
  • You should never do a single type ship, players have to create different ship types with the same hull
  • Radar&Spotting are extremely important!
  • You need to have a higher tier tech to battle with submarines
  • The game has slowed down to more authentic levels, naval superiority isn’t something you archive instantly
  • Players have to respect the mines!

There was one DLC - Death or Dishonor - that was not a full expansion. So we got that for free along with the other 3 regular expansions.

I will say I got my money’s worth from buying the Field Marshall Edition. I got that on sale for about $50 prior to the game being released and it turned out to be a bargain. I normally would not purchase that kind of version on release but knew that given it was Paradox that the DLC would be coming.

Is there a beta we can get into for this?

They don’t do public betas for major expansions but it’s out tomorrow anyway!