Hearts of Iron 4 announced

Yea! I thought we had a week or two yet.

Well, if you want to safe yourself a little grief, pretend tomorrow is a pre-release beta accessible to people that have bought the game. In a week or two they will have ironed out some of the other issues they crop up with all the new systems. :)

Would anyone like some patch notes?

Hearts of Iron IV is priced at 60% off and all its DLC except the latest are 50% off at both the Paradox Webshop and Steam.

And you can get an extra 10% on Steam for DLC you don’t own in the Mobilization Pack

So I started a game as the US. Man it is like a new game. The US focus tree is way different you have to convince Senators and Representative to go along with your proposals. The Ship designer is pretty nice.

Yeah, I tried it out (just briefly) as well. It really does feel all-new. I think the Fuel mechanic has the ability to be a huge impact in this game… will be interesting to see how it plays, especially as a nation like Japan.

I tried Japan a bit. I had to play like I didn’t have a Navy because they’d empty my entire reserve in like a month if I took out one group.

I feel like the default storage needs to be a lot higher or at least the storage needs to grant more. A single thing takes a slot in a territory for like 100k oil storage, which will run a moderate fleet for like a week maybe, which is pretty crappy when you start looking at your 6 fleets a week or more away from most things.

Ship designer is neat but ships are just confusing as it is half the time, not sure this will help, but we’ll see. I mostly found myself just throwing on the “best” things for most ships and shrugging. I assume later on what’s on the ships will matter, but with all these Early ships and whatnot it just felt like busywork that burns Naval XP.

If you play up to 2017 that part gets nerfed.

How hard is this game to get into compared to CK2? I have a lot of interest in paradox games but no real experience playing them lol. Still, I’ve always wanted to take command of Yugoslavian forces in WW2 time period and this game seems like it would be a good option for it.

I bounced off hard from HoI 3 despite spending a bunch on expansion packs for it. Nope.

and yet it still tempts me, the potential for interesting alternate history is so great in these games. Those Arsenal of Democracy AARs are my best Qt3 memories

I found it easier to get into than CK2 by a fairly wide margin, but YMMV.

@schurem, HoI4 did away with a lot of the barriers that made the previous game such a chore to start. Not to tempt you to the dark side or anything, but if you have interest now might be a good time to pick up the base game on sale and see if it strikes your fancy. :)

I feel like Fuel is broken, especially for Naval powers… in the patch that adds Navy stuff.

Navies are like impossible to run, they use so much fuel and no one can make it. Like the US makes 900 oil, by far the most of anyone. Their Navy takes like 24k to run per day. You can store some up, but it’s in 100k chunks, so you spend time, money and infrastructure to buy yourself less than a week for most powers.

Japan can’t use it’s Navy at all. Like ever. If you leave port you run out of fuel almost instantly. Armies eat most of the reserves just by existing if you have any armor or motor units.

I mean I’m not good at the game, but it feels really, really off. I get the idea of having fuel so you can recreate Operation Tidal Wave or whatever, but it doesn’t seem right.

Edit: Reading some stuff online, it seems like other people agree. Subs are basically unstoppable since you can’t afford to hunt them, and you can’t use Navies because they eat so much fuel you’ll run out before you accomplish anything.

I’m assuming this is only using stuff like destroyers for patrol and reserving your capital ships for strike forces once an enemy fleet has been found? I’ve only just started a game as the US, so I haven’t gotten to the war yet myself, but I know the above is how they intend the system to work. Sounds like fuel consumption might be overtuned, but I’m always a little hesitant to rush to judgement on a new system. They typically respond pretty fast, sure curious if they have anything to say tomorrow.

I just spent over an hour with a new Japan game on pause on 1 January just checking all the new stuff out. Really feels like its getting to EU4 levels of complexity now.

I am scared of the complexity that’s for sure.
Is there a mod for the fuel issue? I wanted to start a game as a sea power.

What do you hunt the subs with? Should be able to afford the fuel for destroyers and a few CLs for spotting at least?

Not that I know of, but I don’t see many complaints on Reddit. Fuel is a massive change in how navies operate, it’s going to take some experience and adjustment from the player base.

On the wiki they should have a link to each MtG Dev diary. Look for the one that discusses fuel if you want the info, but like with all Paradox games I think the biggest stumbling block for new players is being “afraid” of not fully understand all the systems before diving in. Just dive in, if you get stuck on anything hit pause and hit Google if you need. :) For MtG, I’ll be right there with ya!

My gut instinct is that fuel silo are way overpriced. Nice thing about America is you don’t have to worry about fuel at all at least early in the game, and you can easily generate a lot naval XP by exercising. I started my entire fleet on exercise and filled up my fuel reserves in just under a week.

I did load up a game as Japan. It certainly seems like you’ll have devote a several civilian factories to importing oil same thing with Germany and probably even the UK. You don’t need oil to build stuff anymore.so this isn’t a massive change, Now how this works was the war starts is going to be interesting.

Making a new ship requiring Naval XP is a stupid idea.

I researched a new ship… but I can’t field it because I don’t have 30+ Naval XP? Why can’t I slap all the crap from my older Destroyer on it? I don’t have to make new infantry divisions every time I upgrade their guns. And I have like… probably 15-20 ship designs and can’t find anything. Good lord. Time to play a land-locked nation. Plus a strong Navy gets you… nothing really. You can’t be easily amphibious assaulted. And sometimes a fight near the coast will give you a bonus that doesn’t seem to help a ton.

Also my fleet was out in the middle of the ocean but nothing in the UI let me know so they’ve been draining my fuel for a month. There is for some reason no button to return to port that I can find.