Hegemony III - It's not Total War, it's totally war

The author of the mod I seem to recall was saying he might give it another go getting it posted in workshop, next time you’re chatting with him might encourage him to give it another go!

I’m just thinking the number of people who might run it will be much higher thru workshop because it’s so much easier to use (and it seems a shame not to use it when it’s implemented, god knows there are more than a few games I love mods for that never bothered).

Yeah, CW7 is the last version available through Steam Workshop. For unknown technical reasons the author couldn’t upload CW8, so it’s only availble through ModDB now. Maybe he’ll figure out a way to get it into the workshop someday?

Anyway, in ModDB it’s just a zip-file. Download, put into the hegemony 3 mod folder, unpack, ready. Easy! :-)

OK I have this as Hegemony III/Mods/CW8 but it is not showing up as a mod in the game menu. (I have Rome and all DLC for both games installed).

Hm, could you ascertain that you have unpacked the zip file to Longbow Digital Arts/Hegemony III/Mods/CW8 and in the CW8-folder you have another folder called “Resources” (a lot of files in there) and 4 smaller files (cover, guicover, requires, steamdid)? This is how it looks for me at least and the mod is showing up in the menu option “Mods and DLC”.

By the way, have you actually played it again? It honestly should be something like a go-to game for you since paradox has declared you persona non grata ;-)

So, get it to work?

That’s all there exactly as you describe. Not showing up in the ingame menu option under mods and DLC. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Same here. I unzipped into the sub for mods and went into the game and there’s nothing there but the DLC.

Edit: you don’t by chance mean instead of putting it under the mods dir under the steam install but instead under the docs/longbow/heg3/mods directory perhaps? Guess I’ll try dumping them there and see what happens. It’ll make me laugh if that works since that’s not where the DLC is located that does currently show up.

Update: that does work, but take note, upon installing the mod when you boot up next it does effectively hijack the game

lol that does work. And it takes like 3 minutes to load, then crashes and I have to hard restart my PC. Never change weird wargame TC mods.

Oh, that’s too bad… maybe with all the additional cities etc. on the map it effectively balloons system requirements. You might try CW7 or CW3, though, these are available on steam workshop and might be lighter on your system.

Yes, indeed, this is what I meant: …\Documents\Longbow Digital Arts\Hegemony III\Mods\CW8

First time load was slow but after that it was fine. I’ve disabled it to finish my Syracuse campaign in H3 before starting up something in the CW mod. It’s a bit crazy how many factions the guy put in it, there are little circles all over the map! haha

If you aren’t disheartened, yet, you could take a look at the “Conquest Britannia” mod. It’s made by the same author as “Classical World” but focuses on Britain, northern France, northern Germany and Denmark - so it’s smaller in size and chances are it may run on your system.

Link to Steam Workshop

Oh cool, yet more stuff to check out.

I’m reading Kagan’s History of the Peloponnesian War and going back to Hegemony Gold, since it has the best (and other than the Rome 2 DLC, AFAIK the only) Peloponnesian War scenario.

While the graphics aren’t on par with H3, the gameplay still really holds up IMO and are actually better than H3 in some respects - like being able to herd sheep on the map for food when you’re going on expeditions. I also really like the bespoke goals you get based on historical events.

The newest version CW9 is available again on Steam Workshop:

…and it seems to have a respectable fan following:
Screenshot 2021-12-31 141342

For this occassion, the modder made a video (I’ve already shared this in the "Streaming, Podcasting… " thread, but since it’s quite crowded there… let’s share it also here). Unfortunately, the modder is not a well-versed youtuber, so he’s not using recording software, but anyway… old-school is the best school… :-)

Yaaaay!

I’m reading Kagan’s History of the Peloponnesian War and going back to Hegemony Gold, since it has the best (and other than the Rome 2 DLC, AFAIK the only) Peloponnesian War scenario.

Too bad it seemingly never got quite the commercial success of Total War… even that mediocre DLC Wrath of Sparta has got more steam reviews - with a much worse score, however. Ah, yes, of course, the TW DLC also costs more than the full Hegemony Gold game (undiscounted price).

By the way, it’s unfortunate that the Hegemony games regularly get compared to Total War (even this very thread title commits this crime…) or Paradox, as if they were some clone. Instead - truth be told - they have very unique mechanics and gameplay that neither TW nor PDX games have.

While the graphics aren’t on par with H3, the gameplay still really holds up IMO and are actually better than H3 in some respects - like being able to herd sheep on the map for food when you’re going on expeditions. I also really like the bespoke goals you get based on historical events.

If Longbow expanded the H3 map to Greece and redid Gold in the H3 engine (as they said they would like to in their failed kickstarter campaign 2015), that would be fantastic - well, a man can dream!

I finished my Syracuse campaign, which was my first in Hegemony III. Learned the ropes and enjoyed myself so much I decided to do an “AAR light” as I’ll refer to it. Which in my mind is updates of major events along the way in the new campaign rather than a blow by blow type of reporting.

This campaign will be as Rome, but this is Rome at a point in history when they’re nothing more than another city-state among many in Italy. The goal of course is to make them into the power house they’re later known for, and do so at the expense of the “barbarians” to the north and dozens of Greek factions in the south.

And when I say dozens, I do mean dozens:

Here’s Rome in it’s oh so humble beginnings:

No sprawling empire this, just a small city on a hill.

The initial few weeks have involved securing surrounding sources of supplies and setting up supply lines back to Rome:

From humble beginnings are empires made, or at least that’s the plan. And like all plans it’s of course brilliant at this stage and should hold up till first contact with the enemy.

Ah yes, this should be interesting. Potential enemies in almost every direction and all the strategic wrinkles that it entails.