Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

I am trying to decide whether trying to troubleshoot and fix my old gaming box that I use as a work machine at home is worth it. It keeps blue-screening me with generic errors that the Internet says point towards driver issues. I’m updating all the drivers I can find, but I retired this machine from gaming a couple of years ago because of these sorts of instabilities, so I think there may be something with the mobo/CPU. It’s an older i5 setup. It is also dog slow when it should not be, though part of that is no doubt the accumulation of crapware over the years.

Assuming driver updates, etc. don’t clean it up enough to be reliable, my options seem to be buying a new mobo/CPU/memory set to swap in, essentially building a new machine in terms off work, or replacing it entirely with a prebuilt box. This would not be for gaming, though, just for HTML, web stuff, writing, etc. but it would have to drive three monitors. A lot of the cheap but otherwise suitable work boxes only have like one HDMI and one VGA port or something hideous like that. I am running an old 1070ti in this thing so I have plenty of monitor ports at least, but again, the cheapo biz boxes either don’t have room for a card or don’t have the power supply.

I’m almost tempted to replace my actual gaming rig and swapping my current rig in for my work setup, but I really don’t want to spend the kind of money it would take to get a current gen gaming rig with a 3xxx series card (which to be realistic means getting a pre-built which already has one).

Any ideas about affordable multi-monitor solutions?

I wouldn’t overthink it, just get a laptop. This one’s a pretty good deal. You can plug in one monitor via displayport and one via HDMI. If you need a third screen and the laptop’s built-in screen won’t suffice, just get a USB adapter. You’ll probably want to add another 8GB RAM, which is cheap if you do it yourself.

I have laptops I can use. I need three larger (24" or so) monitors though, and the laptop I would most likely use, my Surface Pro, would require me to buy an overpriced dock. Besides, over $500 for a laptop I’d have to add stuff too anyhow makes it more enticing to rebuild the machine I have with a new mobo/cpu probably.

A lot of what I’m doing from home is stuff like Zoom and Google Meet, etc, usually with many browser tabs open for accessing our LMS and Google Drive stuff from work, all at the same time. Looking at the resource usage, it seems like a ton of memory and CPU use going on. Hmm. Well, I will probably muddle along and try to band-aid the existing rig until the summer when I will have time to do something about it without interrupting too much work stuff.

What do folks think of this pre-built?

• Compact Performance - B550 mITX motherboard with AMD Ryzen7 5800X
  • RTX Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | Display Port + HDMI
  • RAM & Storeage: ToughRAM RGB - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 RGB Memor/ 1TB Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • Connectivity - 2 x USB 3.0 | 1 x USB Type-C | headphone | mic ports | HDMI | DP
  • Power - 750W 80PLUS GOLD Power Supply

Completely bizzare form factor there. I guess if you don’t want a normal tower?

I think it’s ugly as sin, Menzo, and you can get an (also fugly) Alienware for $649 less with 4 additional CPU cores but 16GB less RAM (which doesn’t matter for gaming anyway).

Thoughts on this config

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1Q712P

Decided not to opt for ddr5 mobo

Also, I think I might downgrade from the 3070 to the 3060ti. I only have 1080p monitors up at the moment. No real plans to upgrade that.

I’ve been looking at NZXT ever since it was mentioned here. My son even got one from them last summer. I currently have a Cyberpower I got off of Amazon, but the prices and I’m sure quality on NZXT is much better than comparable boxes I’m seeing on Amazon (ASUS or Cyberpower mostly as I trust them). I almost grabbed This build kit but it sold out while I was mulling it over.

Now I’m considering one of their smaller form factor boxes with a 3060 inside But still haven’t pulled the trigger.

EDIT: Doh! The smaller boxes sold out again this morning. Oh well.

Anecdotally and without a lot of technical knowledge, I bought from Cyberpower last year. Most of the computer was okay except the power supply, advertised as a 1000W Gold something something, was awful. The PC constantly rebooted or powered down. Once I bought a different power supply from Microcenter and had that installed, it worked fine. But I don’t think I’ll buy from them again.

My previous PC was a Cyberpower build from Amazon which was perfectly fine until I got a bad case of GPU Fever last July. Initially I just intended to upgrade the video card, but quickly realized it was more cost effective to just get a new system. I went the NZXT route and have been very happy with it.

10/10 would buy again.

The Cyberpower is the same price but has a slower GPU than the Alienware I linked earlier. When gaming only the GPU really matters. And yeah yeah MS flightsim and giant strategy games nyuck nyuck nyuck you know what I mean.

I like NZXT BLD in that they let you pick your components, albeit from a very limited list. I didn’t like that they only had 3200Mhz RAM. Anyway, the BLD I came up with cost $2500, $300 more than the Alienware. You get all non-custom components for that and it’ll be much less fugly, though.

Looking at Cyberpower with a 3060ti, I came up with $1864. That saves $336 off the Alienware deal but you lose 4 CPU cores (not that you should really care) and much more importantly downgrade from a 3080 to a 3060ti, which is huge.

But you have an Alienware

Also

Also, I am not interested in paying for a 3080 when I only play in 1080p and I can upgrade to a new card later

Plus that CyberPowerPC deal has 32gb ram. Which is just a nice deal.

Well, I bit.

1950 after tax/shipping

32 gb ddr4 3200 ram
gen 4 1tb nvme
3060 ti
12700k i7 CPU

2 tb data drive (on sale for 40 bucks, might as well)

Not bad.

First upgrade since 2013 (other than the GPU) excited to have something that can play modern games above medium settings.

Pricing out all of those parts is about 1800ish but that is assuming you can get a 3060 ti at MSRP which is hah!

Had great luck with cyberpowerpc so far, my 2013 rig I purchased, that I am typing on right now is still ticking fine.

FYI I also had to replace my preconfiged CyberPowerPC power supply. It was under warranty, but they’d have replaced it with the same crappy loud no-name power supply, so I just bought a Corsair and didn’t even bother shipping back the other one. (Also had to replace the cooler to stop thermal throttling, but that might not be an issue with the AMD CPUs.)

As for 16GB vs 32GB, unless you play MS Flight Sim or Horizon Zero Dawn, 16 is enough for now, but I prefer to buy “enough for two years from now” as well when the price difference is so small.

The 32gb was a free upgrade. Will be nice for modded minecraft and flight Sim.

This deal came with a really nice modular Thermaltake psu

As I’ve said before, we bought two NZXT Bld boxes a couple of years ago, and they have been excellent. Build quality was hands-down better than what I could do myself, and better than even the Digital Storm box I had before that (though the DS machine is still going strong and is also very nicely constructed).

Their stock changes almost daily. They only sell whats on the shelf so no shipping delays. Check back often.

Seems like a solid flash deal at iBuyPower
12700KF
240 AIO
Z690 motherboard (DDR4)
3070 Ti
16 GB 3600 RAM
$1899

(note that the thumbnail doesn’t include upgrades included with the flash deal)

For a more traditional (but highly compact) form factor, I’ve really liked MSI’s Trident series. I got one right at the beginning of the pandemic, when I knew I would be spending a lot more time on it, and I recently had to replace it after some power outage related damage. You can get up to a GeForce 3060 in the smallest form factor, or they also put 3080s in a slightly larger form factor, but it’s still smaller than something like an Alienware. Both of my Tridents (GeForce 1660 & 3060) have been pretty quiet, which is also a consideration.

For reference, the smaller Tridents are about the same size as the small Dell Optiplex towers you could find on ebay for ~$100-200, which is what I use for dedicated streaming.

@tomchick this is the thread you want, just make sure to mention you already have a GPU.

So I have a pretty bitchin’ videocard. It’s an RTX3070. And it’s been slumming it in my computer from 2014 for far too long. In fact, the videocard is actively trying to murder the rest of my computer: my venerable Intel i7-4790 is hitting the limits for CPU loads and the cores’ temperatures are getting silly hot, to the point that it was causing shutdowns. Replacing the thermal paste has bought me some time, but the writing is on the wall: This isn’t enough computer for this much videocard!

So I need a new rig, not including GPU. My current computer was from Maingear, but I don’t have any particular allegiance to shopping with them. @mono found a seller local to me with a variety of options. I’ve reached out to him, but haven’t heard back yet. He seems to have access to an insane number of barebones systems that I can’t really make heads nor tails of. I’m left comparing various CPU and motherboards, which mean bupkis to me.

I just want something fast and capable of keeping cool after I drop in my RTX3070. I’m okay with paying more for something that will hopefully last another eight years. Although I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks on some quick n’ dirty exchange with someone local, I’d be more comfortable buying from an established online outlet.

So can you guys point me to someplace good for a pre-built system into which I can drop my GPU and hard drives? And more importantly, can someone just tell me the best CPU to get these days that doesn’t cost sillymoney? Mobo recommendations would also be welcome.

-Tom