Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Is the somewhat dated Hyper 212 up to the task of cooling the i7-12700K? I’d want to swap in a beefier air cooler, ideally a Noctua.

It absolutely is. I picked one up at a local Microcenter as a stopgap cooler a few weeks ago when I was upgrading to a 12700K.

My CPU idle temps are around 20-25C w/ the Hyper 212 Evo v2. I’ve ended up sticking with it. Working great.

Yeah, you definitely can buy graphics cards online now. But they are mostly the 200-300 dollars above MSRP fancy OC versions that are kind of pointless.

3060 ti are 400 MSRP, but the only editions you can get in stock are the RGB lighting super clocked awesome NX editions for like 700. So we are getting closer to normal. You can at least buy the industry price gouged editions.

It’s probably fine, but I would spring for that arctic esports 34 duo I linked in the other thread, it’s a price/performance champ.

Welp, my CyberpowerPC build arrived.

They gave me a different mobo than I ordered, but it is the same price basically, I wanted the gigabyte motherborad, but they gave me the asus.

I spoke to the customer service and they were like, I guess we were out of stock. Probably should have asked if that was OK but we didn’t.

Shrug.

Not a big deal, as the asus one is the same price, but it has far fewer USB ports on it. Which STINKS. Only 5 usb A ports on the back. As someone who has a racing wheel/other accessories, it is tight.

But, I had a PCIe usb 2.0 card in my old rig, and I just plopped that in, along with my old 7200 rpm steam games drive.

Things are working o.k. Some weird stability crashing bugs when launching games sometimes, but the error log doesn’t appear to show any issues. I am chalking it up to the fact that I am trying to install/update a million things at once, and probably just need to check/update drivers on everything.

So far so good.

That stinks about switching out the motherboard. The one thing that’s the hardest to “switch out”.

Yeah, but I was iffy on getting the gigabyte one anyway. Other than the usb ports, I trust ASUS way more.

Easily fixed with a pci-e usb hub, which I installed already, just kind of lame they would make that change without asking. It is the same tier of motherboard, just a different manufacturer.

Everything else is working fine so far.

@tomchick any update?

Also pics or it didn’t happen… ;)

Yes, the update is that I’ve been playing a lot of solo boardgames. My CPU can handle those easily! :)

(Seriously, though, I just haven’t upgraded yet because there’s no hurry. Seems prices are only going to fall and since I boogered up my Snowrunner game – everyone is stuck in mud somewhere and I was playing on Hard, so I’m basically mired indefinitely – there’s been no pressing need for me to use my PC for gaming.)

-Tom

Don’t love the look but $2000 for a 5800X/3080/16GB/1TB seems like something returning more to reality than some recent prices?

Could be a noisy case.

My friend ordered one, will get it tomorrow.

Damnation, here’s something for the budget tier: ABS Master Gaming Desktop: i5 11400F, RTX 3060, 16GB DDR4. 512GB SSD

3060 rig for $1,000.

Yeah I see price drop left right and centre, which is surprising because there is a war in Europe and China is effectively on lockdown or can go into lockdown any day now, you would have thought it would disrupt supply chain and push price up. But no.

I am sure the supply chain will catch up to that, there is usually a month or so of lag.

Also, products are no longer shipping into Russia, so that is probably helping with inventory.

Some great deals out there.

My new rig is like a fighter jet. Fast, but unstable.

Some game crashes and hard BSOD’s here and there, but I am chalking it up to Windows 11 and alder lake being super new.

Also, there appear to be daily windows updates. I checked bios, ran memtest etc. Event viewer seems to not show any specific hardware faults.

Other than that, Gen 2 NVMe is stupid fast. 32 gig of RAM is so nice for modded minecraft (thanks java) and things look purty with the 3060ti

BSODs are not normal. Something is wrong. Install the Windows debugger tool and analyze the dump file to figure out what is causing the BSOD. It’s not hard to do.

This one?

Yes, I think so.

Here’s a decent guide - How to Analyze Memory Dump Files (.dmp) in Windows 10

I’m on Alder Lake and Win 11, no crashes or BSOD’s. Something is going on with that build.

Well, I haven’t had any crashes in a while.

Again, it really feels related to driver issues, particularly nvidia. I reinstalled them as well.

Knowing that this computer was shipped from california, even packed quite well, I would suspect any issues being with the GPU. If I continue to have problems I will probably re-seat the GPU. It was packed with expanding foam, so that should have helped the GPU from getting unseated, but it has been running for near 48 hours no crashes yet. Some random modded minecraft crashes here and there… but that is the nature of Java minecraft.

2 nights with WoW raids with only hiccups the first night with some crashes to desktop, though nothing on night 2.

This is a brand new PC and fresh install, I have probably installed at least 30+ windows and drivers updates in the last week.

I think the most recent driver update stabilized things.

Welp, I decided to run memtest, and it came back with hardware faults.

I will try re-seating the ram and see if that works.

Went 5 days without crashing, so whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to be happening a lot.

Probably will just RMA the sticks and get new ones. Easy fix at least.